Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Not able to toggle switch on Break Out Box

Regular Vistor

Not able to toggle switch on Break Out Box

Hi,

I purchased the new Apex unit (not the classic) as well as the break out box. After getting the apex head unit updated with the latest firmware last night, i wired the break out box to the LED light strip that would turn on if i open my cabinet turns. but for some reason, none of the switches (SW1-SW6) would toggle. did i miss something?

switch.PNG

You cannot just copy/paste an image into a post. You need to use the image uploading as function in the forum message editor. It's the button that looks like a framed print of a tree.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by dragonfisher33 View Post
    i wired the break out box to the LED light strip that would turn on if i open my cabinet turns...
    You can't connect a light strip to the BoB. The BoB is for connecting dry contact switches - float switches, toggle switches, pushbutton switches, magnetic security switches, etc.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Regular Vistor
    how come i can't see my original post? i was trying to edit the post with the picture. was it deleted?

how come i can't see my original post? i was trying to edit the post with the picture. was it deleted?
    The first few posts by new users are given extra scrutiny by the forum software to evaluate if they are possibly spam. Because your first post contained invalid data (the failed image posting) it was suspected of being spam and automatically was put into a moderation queue for approval by forum staff. I approved it, and edited out the bad/invalid image. It was again auto-moderated when you edited it. I approved it again, so all should be well. Sorry about that - but those protections against spammers have proven to be quite valuable and necessary.

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by RussM View Post
    The first few posts by new users are given extra scrutiny by the forum software to evaluate if they are possibly spam. Because your first post contained invalid data (the failed image posting) it was suspected of being spam and automatically was put into a moderation queue for approval by forum staff. I approved it, and edited out the bad/invalid image. It was again auto-moderated when you edited it. I approved it again, so all should be well. Sorry about that - but those protections against spammers have proven to be quite valuable and necessary.
    Great Russ, thank you for the info.

Regular Vistor
    And I thought Russ was just talking to himself

What do you mean by this though, "i wired the break out box to the LED light strip that would turn on if i open my cabinet turns.". Do you have a switch on a cabinet door to turn on an LED like a refrigerator or something? Or, like Russ thought, you wired LED lights to the breakout itself?

Regular Vistor
    The BoB is for switches, for example, you want a light to turn on when you open your cabinate, put a switch on your cabinate that opens and closes when you open or close the door, wire that switch to the BoB, plug the light into say... eb8_1 outlet, then in fusion, go into the settings for eb8_1 make an avanced program that says something like,

Set Off
    Fallback Off
    If Sw1 Open Then On

Or something like that, then hit the up arrow to upload it to the apex, BOOM!! Your light should come on when you open your door, some switches u can buy are normally open or normally closed, some have the option for both

Regular Vistor
    so i have the light strip connected to outlet #7 and the ran the wires from the normally closed magnetic switches (the switches have both NO and NC options) to Sw6 (Sw1-Sw5 are not used). but the light still doesn't turn on.
    Bob.PNG

Regular Vistor
    of course, the manual on/off of the outlet turns on the light on/off.

how do i or how can i know that the break out box is not broken?

Check the door switch with the continuity or beep setting of a multimeter. Does it beep when open and stop beeping when the door closes?

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

Regular Vistor
    How did you wire it to your BoB? I can't remember how many switch inputs u can have on that (is thinking only 6)

On the BoB there is only 1 ground, so if you have 4 switches, you will have 1 wire from every switch going into 1 connection on the BoB, then the other wire from each switch going into seperate connections, im at work right now, but I'll post up a quick drawing to show you how yours should be wired

Regular Vistor

Notice there are only 6 inputs, 1 rsv (reserve) and 1 gnd, one end off all the switches go to GND and the other ends of switches go to seperate inputs (I drew them going into 3, 5, and 6, so if you wire your door switch like that say number 6, 1 wire to GND and the other wire to i6, then change the sw7 part of your program to sw6, it should work when set to auto, depending on if you have used NO or NC you may have to change the if open or if closed part aswell

Regular Vistor
    So here's how I have wired the wires
    IMG_4562.JPG

Regular Vistor
    Beep when the pair is next to each other
    IMG_4563.JPG

Regular Vistor
    No beep when it's just the switch
    IMG_4564.JPG

Are you seeing the switch show CLOSED when you put them together on fusion (this takes 30 seconds to respond)? If so, your code would be.

Fallback ON
    Set OFF
    If Sw6 OPEN Then ON

If you aren't seeing that try reseating the bob connection to the apex base unit. If that doesn't go, try moving the red to another switch inout and see if you get a closed response together.

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post
    Are you seeing the switch show CLOSED when you put them together on fusion (this takes 30 seconds to respond)? If so, your code would be.

Fallback ON
    Set OFF
    If Sw6 OPEN Then ON

If you aren't seeing that try reseating the bob connection to the apex base unit. If that doesn't go, try moving the red to another switch inout and see if you get a closed response together.

Thank you so much for the help. It was the connection to the head unit. After I disconnect and reconnect the cable to the head unit, the light begins to act according to logic. This was my original concern, which is how do I know if the break out box is connected/on since there's no Indicator of any sort in the BoB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you so much for the help. It was the connection to the head unit. After I disconnect and reconnect the cable to the head unit, the light begins to act according to logic. This was my original concern, which is how do I know if the break out box is connected/on since there's no Indicator of any sort in the BoB

There is actually a neat way to do that.

Run a jumper wire between gnd and an open input (I'm assuming 1 below). Then create a VO so the alert makes sense

BOBplug
    Set OFF
    If Sw1 OPEN Then ON
    Defer 000:05 Then ON

Email
    (Existing code)
    If Outlet BOBplug = ON Then ON

You will get an alert if the BOB gets unplugged or poor connection to the base unit.

Regular Vistor
    hi @zombie, i have a few questions.

If Sw1 OPEN Then ON
    Defer 000:05 Then ON ->>>>>what is Defer 000:05?

Email ->>>>is this a comment? i copy paste the entire code and Apex says it doesn't like this line and the following line
    (Existing code)
    If Outlet BOBplug = ON Then ON

BOBplug is the VO name (you could call that whatever you want) and has to be created, named, and programmed before you can call it out in the email alarm. The (Existing code) doesn't go in the programming. I use that to show keep what is currently there and put only the if outlet line in the email code after everything else you have coded.

Regular Vistor
    thank you for the clarification, i know Java/C and just want to make sure that "Email (Existing code)" is not something unique to Apex language.

Regular Vistor

If I have 2 magnetic switches, one per door, how do I go about to wire them to each other and then to the break out box? The intended functionality is that if either door is open, the light gets turned on. Of course I can use another switch in the breakout box, but is there a way to do with with just one switch in the break out box?

If I have 2 magnetic switches, one per door, how do I go about to wire them to each other and then to the break out box? The intended functionality is that if either door is open, the light gets turned on. Of course I can use another switch in the breakout box, but is there a way to do with with just one switch in the break out box?

You would wire them in series using the contact set that is OPEN with the door open and CLOSED with the door closed.

Schematic

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast