Thread: Purpose of hole in syphon break and question about pump

Purpose of hole in syphon break and question about pump

There is two "holes" in the syphon break why?
    why does one spray water all over every time it fills my sump? I'm glad my resovoir is enclosed and not open at the top.
    can I use the ATK without?
    my resovoir pump sit about 2 inches lower than the hose in my sump the hose goes up approx 1 1/2 feet up and then down into the sump
    Is this enough?
    and since we have the float valve would that stop water from going into the sump anyway?

If the two optical sensors fail and the pmup keeps pumping what happens to the pump when the float valve shuts off the water( is this another reason for the syphon break hole?
    does the pump stop after it senses pressure

thanks

You do not need the siphon break if your highest point in your reservoir is lower than the exit of the top off. If your reservoir is filled to the top and the end of the tubing is a few inches lower for example the first time the ATK kicks on will drain all of that water until it equalized, regardless if the sensor tell it to turn off. If the sensors trigger it will turn the PMUP off but due to a vacuum / siphon inside the tubing, water will continue to flow. The float would close the output as a backup if your sump level rises that high.

When the Siphon break is installed in situations were the reservoir is higher than the exit of the tubing what happens is air is allowed inside that tiny hole and it prevents water from being pulled out of the reservoir. The hole is small and pointed down to limit the amount of water that sprays out when the pump is running. It should only be installed with the hole pointed down and inside the reservoir for this reason.

In your last example when the digital sensors fail there is nothing to tell the ATK/PMUP to turn off. What will happen is the water will rise all the way to the float valve and cut off the water coming out of the tubing. The PMUP will continue to run and try to keep filling the tank or sump. The ATK has a build in max run time safety feature for this reason. If the sensors fail, the water rises all the way up to the float and the PMUP keeps running after 5 minutes it will sense something is wrong and turn off and send an audible alarm in Standalone mode, or Text/Email alert in connected mode. When connected to an Apex it will also slide the dashboard tile to OFF instead of Auto. This means it wont turn back on until you corrected the issue that caused it to fail the first time.

@eschulist - good explanation!

@bescher - much of what eschulist said assumes that you are using the programming generated by the ATK Task. If you have not used the ATK Task or have modified the programming created by the Task, then your system might not work as described.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by RussM View Post
    @eschulist - good explanation!

@bescher - much of what eschulist said assumes that you are using the programming generated by the ATK Task. If you have not used the ATK Task or have modified the programming created by the Task, then your system might not work as described.
    No using it was not only the Task but also a Neptune tech rep programmed it

but my question is which hole does the water come out of?
    is it the round hole or the one that has a "slash" in it so I can point it downwards

There should only be one tiny hole (1mm) which is at an angle. There is a molding artifact about 5mm long (a detent) in the narrow part of the body - is that what you are calling a "slash"? Water should not be coming out that.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by RussM View Post
    There should only be one tiny hole (1mm) which is at an angle. There is a molding artifact about 5mm long (a detent) in the narrow part of the body - is that what you are calling a "slash"? Water should not be coming out that.
    Yes it is and I'm trying to determine if it does or not haven't been able to yet. But I think I'm fine