Thread: Programming so one pump shuts off if another pump flow meter shows that flow has stopped

Regular Vistor

Programming so one pump shuts off if another pump flow meter shows that flow has stopped

I am new to programming. I have an anemone tank and rigged a special protection feature using a Vortech pump in a way that it cannot suck up the anemone tentacles the intake is in the overflow section. But this creates a situation whereby if the sump-return pump shuts off for any reason then the Vortech starts sucking air and makes a mess with bubbles. I want to create a program where the Vortech outlet shuts off if the return pump is turned off for any reason. The return pump is monitored by a flow sensor through FMM. Here specifically is what i want to do:

1) Vortech is plugged into outlet labelled PLUG-A
    2) Return pump flow is monitored by 1" flow sensor labelled ANEMON. I have an alarm set if flow < 50 then alarm on.
    3) If flow sensor ANEMON reads < 50 then I want PLUG-A to shut off. I want it to turn back on when flow is restored.
    4) I also do not know what to do with Fallback and Set in this situation.

I would guess this would be similar to programming a protein skimmer to shut off when you are doing a water change. But I am not sure how to program it based on a flow sensor reading. I don't know the programming language to use.
    I am brand new to programming so very specific detailed advice would be very helpful. Or just show me an existing program that would work.
    Thank you.
    Andy

When asking for help making modifications to existing programming, always post that programming. Doing so helps the other users here help you better.

Do you have a WXM to control the Vortech, or is PLUG-A the only form of Apex control of the Vortech?

Chances are that all you need to do is add this statement at the end of the existing programming, but cannot be sure without seeing what you have now:

If ANEMON < 50 Then OFF

BTW, it's a good practice to name outlets descriptively - for example, instead of PLUG-A, use something like VortechPWR.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Regular Vistor
    Thank you so much RussM. At this point I have no existing programming. And PLUG-A is not the actual name of the outlet because I have not even assigned an outlet yet. I am starting from scratch and have no knowledge of programming (well, maybe just a tad, but lets pretend I have no experience.) I do not plan to integrate my 22 EchoTech marine devices into the Fusion control system. I am operating them from EchoTech's web site. Only this single Vortech needs control from Fusion. I simply want to shut off the outlet that the Vortech is plugged into in the case that the other return pump fails or is shut off. I just want a simple algorithm that if the flow is less than 50 the plug to which the Vortech is plugged in shuts off. What you are saying makes perfect sense. I assume I write that line of code in the outputs menu for the plug I choose for the Vortech. Do I need to write anything further so that when the flow returns > 50 the plug turns back on or while this automatically happen? I have seen "Fallback" and "Set" in some code examples. Do I need to worry about these two orders? Is that one single line of code "If ANEMON < 50 then OFF" adequate to do exactly what I need without any other lines of code? Thanks again! Every other programming thing I have done so far I have used the setup wizards and the lines of code they create seem far more complex than just this single statement. Again, thanks for your help!
    Andy

I would use this code assuming your return is also fallback ON. Adjust outlet names and eb8 name to match yours.

Fallback ON
    Set ON
    If Outlet Return = OFF Then OFF
    If ANEMON < 50 Then OFF
    If Power EB8_X OFF 001 Then OFF
    If Power Apex OFF 001 Then OFF
    Defer 005:00 Then ON

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

Regular Vistor
    This is great, thank you! Several clarification questions. First, the return pump is not on an Apex controlled outlet. So I will leave out the line "If Outlet Return = OFF then OFF. What is the purpose of the two lines if EB8 off... and If Power Apex OFF...? What is the "Defer" command for? Is that so it does not cycle on and off if for some reason the ANEMON flow sensor is turning on and off? Lastly, I think I know what "Fallback" is. I think this means if there is some sort of error the outlet will remain on rather than off. But what does "Set ON" refer to? Does that just mean it initiates turning it on? Thanks for the education in basic programming!
    Andy

If the return isn't apex controlled than I would do fallback OFF as well.

The power lines mean (respectively) that if the energy lost power or comms, or the apex itself lost power or rebooted, turn off for 1 minute following those events.

The defer means when it turns off and then all is back to normal, it needs to wait 5 minutes to turn back on to allow the water level to stabilize after the return is back on with full flow. You can make this longer or shorter if you like but I would keep it in some form.

Regular Vistor
    "Fallback" means what the outlet will do in the case of lack of any communication input?

Quote Originally Posted by reeferandy View Post
    "Fallback" means what the outlet will do in the case of lack of any communication input?
    Yep. When the eb8 isn't talking to the apex.

Regular Vistor
    I really appreciate your help! Have a great weekend,
    Andy