Thread: OS-1 in ATO with Kalk

Regular Vistor

OS-1 in ATO with Kalk

I purchased an OS-1 with the intention of placing it near the bottom of my ATO container to indicate when it needs to be refilled. I dose Kalk in my ATO, but only mix in a given quantity and do not leave undissolved kalk at the bottom.

I have the magnetically mounted one, so the cord would be in the container. I suppose I can drill and mount in the side, but I'd prefer to not have holes in the container to avoid leak paths. I assume life will be reduced based on the harshness of the hydroxide solution.

Has anyone used one of these in such a way yet? I'm concerned that the film/crud that forms from the kalk reacting with the air will foul the sensor before the container is empty. Even if I have to wipe it off each refill, its not a large problem, but I do need it to work once per fill cycle.

I'm thinking about the same thing. Has anyone tried this yet?

Quote Originally Posted by bob115 View Post
    I purchased an OS-1 with the intention of placing it near the bottom of my ATO container to indicate when it needs to be refilled. I dose Kalk in my ATO, but only mix in a given quantity and do not leave undissolved kalk at the bottom.

I have the magnetically mounted one, so the cord would be in the container. I suppose I can drill and mount in the side, but I'd prefer to not have holes in the container to avoid leak paths. I assume life will be reduced based on the harshness of the hydroxide solution.

Has anyone used one of these in such a way yet? I'm concerned that the film/crud that forms from the kalk reacting with the air will foul the sensor before the container is empty. Even if I have to wipe it off each refill, its not a large problem, but I do need it to work once per fill cycle.

I am using the Neptune optical sensor with the CRAPPY magnetic holder in my ATO tank. For the same reason haven been for a month and haven't had any problems at all.
    my complaint about the mount is that it's a off the shelf piece used for other things it the holder itself is screwed into the base and it moves so you hotbto make its tight and your wire coming from it is secured so it doesn't move either

im happy with it overall no issues with the sensor itself

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by MickeyCT View Post
    I'm thinking about the same thing. Has anyone tried this yet?
    I have been using the OS-1 in my ATO with kalk. After only about two and a half weeks I found the sensor to be unresponsive to low water (OPEN) due to kalk buildup. As a result I nearly ran my ATO dry in the process.
    Two and a half weeks isn't much time - I might go back to a mechanical sensor and re-purpose the OS-1 for something else like my skimmer cup.

Quote Originally Posted by BryanP View Post
    I have been using the OS-1 in my ATO with kalk. After only about two and a half weeks I found the sensor to be unresponsive to low water (OPEN) due to kalk buildup. As a result I nearly ran my ATO dry in the process.
    Two and a half weeks isn't much time - I might go back to a mechanical sensor and re-purpose the OS-1 for something else like my skimmer cup.
    Either that or orient the sensor horizontically instead of vertically so gunk doesn't build up as quickly.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

Bryan - is your sensor mounted vertically or horizontally?

I may change my mind again and switch to a regular float.

Frequent Visitor
    It was mounted vertically. I've since mounted it horizontally and it is working as expected.

Frequent Visitor
    ...until today :/
    Kalk solution continues to cloud the OS-1 such that it does not read open when it is no longer submerged. I needed to wipe it clean again in order for it to work properly.
    Its not a measure of the orientation of the sensor that I can tell...

Maybe time to go back to a standard float and use the os1 in your sump.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.