Thread: New 10 ft Set up - Advice

New User

New 10 ft Set up - Advice

Hi all from the Gold Coast, Australia.
    We are just into the final finishing stages of our extension to the house. It includes my 3 mtr L x 1.1 mtr W x .9 mtr Deep ( 10ft L x 3.5 ft W x 3 ft deep) marine tank that is being built now. The plan all along was to use the Apex controller.
    I am now under the gun to provide details to builder and electrician on what we need to not just power the tank, but be able to control function.

Set up is not standard, hence my questions and appeal for advise and support.

The main tank DT is in the ground floor extension, on a 95 cm high steel stand. All 4 side are viewable, so no wires/pipes visible. It has a centre overflow wier, Durso ( 3 pipe) plus an extra hole in the wier for power ( 24V) to a set of actuators located above tank, to control returning water flow direction and rate.
    We have 2 separate pumping systems - one main for tank to sump for protein skimmer, reactors etc, then returnd to the tank with the 2 pumps in the basement. The second system is closed loop - it will draw water from the tank, to the basement pump, and back up to the tank, entering the tank through the pipe punched through the center wier, and then up to above water surface, and split into a right and left arm, through a 3 way actuator ( 24V) where we will have 5 tap offs each side, with manual taps to control water volume.
    All pipes have been imbedded in the concrete slab prior to pouring, and lead to the basement. So no plumbing visible.

Sump is NOT under the tank, but located in the basement below, approx 15 mtrs away. Thats just the first issue.
    Then to spice it up, the Hood sits on top of the tank, and for ease of access for maintenance, is set up with an Actuator mounted in the ceiling, to raise it 60 cm ( 24") up towards the ceiling.
    In the hood is an aluminum grid to mount the series of LED and T5 lights.

Hope that makes sense.
    The issues now are how to set up and configure the Apex , and which model, plus extra modules do I need to be able to operate the system and allow communication between sump and tank and hood. ????

The plan was to have the main control in the basement in the fish room. We have conduits from basement/sump up to under the tank. We have power for the hood lift actuator already in the ceiling cavity. Builder is supposed to install the plaster board ceiling next week, so I need to be clear as to what wiring I still need to install beforehand.
    The Hood will be lifted on 4 Stainless wire cable towards the ceiling, with 4 SS gromets where they puncture the ceiling. I have accepted that the electrician will have to add 2 electrical wires from the ceiling to inside the Hood, to power the lights. The issue here is how to 'control' the various lights with the Apex ?
    Are we correct to assume we can install a Power Bar in the Hood to connect the lights to, then only need to have a single RJ cable going up into the ceiling, and then down to the basement/sump ?
    Or is there a wireless option ?

I have asked several people for advise, but sue to the unusual set up, and high expectations, nobody can tell me for sure.

I would greatly appreciate advice on what Apex to get, which add on modules are needed and how to set the whole thing up, so I can guide my electrician and builder.

Many thanks in advance for any inputs.

Jacques

Welcome! That's some set up you are doing. You might want to add some more details in the way of make/model of equipment you will be running. What you will be running will determine some of the Apex components you will need. For example there are different modules for various LED fixtures.

At minimum you will need an apex classic or apex 2016 and at least one extra energy bar. You can mount an energy bar in the hood and have the electrician run a usb (make sure he gets one with no repeaters or makes one himself from #22 RS485 4 wire) between the hood and the basement sump. Anything else you want beyond that will depend on what level of control you want and what other equipment you will get that isn't listed. I suggest looking through all the module offerings and see what interests you. You will likely want an ATK and DOS in the sump room for auto top off, auto water change, and flow monitoring.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

New User
    Hi Bigjim and zombie - I replied to your post, but on checking now, it seems i must have clicked something wrong, and it was not posted.
    I will try to re-write this weekend.
    Many thanks for your inputs
    PaPa P

Regular Vistor
    Hi Jacque - Order a long apex aqua bus cable that is pre-made - i've got a 77 foot run from garage to my DT (my salt mixing station and ATO is located there). The cable was sourced from www.usbfirewire.com and they have pre-made apex cables. From there you should be able to run another EB6 outlet and then add your modules from there. Cheers, Vic

New User
    Quote Originally Posted by VicK32 View Post
    Hi Jacque - Order a long apex aqua bus cable that is pre-made - i've got a 77 foot run from garage to my DT (my salt mixing station and ATO is located there). The cable was sourced from www.usbfirewire.com and they have pre-made apex cables. From there you should be able to run another EB6 outlet and then add your modules from there. Cheers, Vic
    Many thanks Vic.. with all that has been going on with the build of the extension, I have lost the focus, for now, on the tank itself.
    Tiles are, finally, being laid as we speak..so with some luck, I may be able to have the tank delivered in 2 or 3 weeks.... and then the game begin.
    Im positive I will have many more questions, technical and biological, in the months to come.

Many thanks for now..
    Jac