Thread: Power conditioning

Frequent Visitor

Power conditioning

A very respected knowledgeable aquarist recommends that people use "Power conditioners". This is something that has only been mentioned once on the forums as far as I can find and I do no remember anything about it coming from an official Neptune source. Are all UPS considered "power conditioners" and trip lite just uses this wording as like their branding/catch phrase.

This is what I am referring to specifically:
    We will be working on some very large installations soon and I do not want to overlook anything.

Thank in advance for any feedback.

High quality UPS units have full power conditioning built in and cheaper units have voltage regulation and surge suppression only. Look for units marketed as "pure sine wave" for those with fully conditioned power.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

Frequent Visitor
    Is it pointless to put one of these on an EB832 if there are three-four other EB832s that are not receiving a "pure sign wave".

I think auto-correct made sign into some. Funny thing is the first time I read it my mind saw "sign" and I didn't catch it until I went to copy. :-)

That was autocorrect. Corrected above. Should be sine (spelled sine, pronounced sign).

Quote Originally Posted by TerraReef View Post
    Is it pointless to put one of these on an EB832 if there are three-four other EB832s that are not receiving a "pure sign wave".
    A little bit yeah. The whole point of power conditioning is to regulate the voltage before it is converted to DC in sensitive electronics (particularly useful for computers and musical equipment). Since each EB has a power supply if one is conditioned and the others aren't, it's possible to create some power loops and the main reason for the conditioning kinda goes away. However you would still get the benefit of a UPS for critical life support on power outages if you only use one and the EB that's connected to it is protected. On the other energy bars I would at least use a surge protector and a UPS or power conditioner if you want ultimate reliability.

Frequent Visitor
    Thanks. Greatly appreciate the response.