Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can no longer access Apex

Frequent Visitor

Can no longer access Apex

Need a little help with my APEX (older one). I have it plugged in with an Ethernet cable through a WiFi extender. I have it liked this for two years. All of a sudden the IP address associated with it, is gone from the list of connected devices through my router (the IP address used to log into it). I have rebooted everything, router, modem, etc. Anyone with any ideas? The arrow is pointing to the MAC address of my APEX, there is no IP assigned to it any more. I reset the wifi extender and set it back up as well. The old IP is showing through the extender portal. It used to be 192.168.1.13.
    Attached Images Attached Images

You could try turning DHCP off and setting the IP to 192.168.1.111

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post
    You could try turning DHCP off and setting the IP to 192.168.1.111

Problem is, I don't have the controller anymore. (black factory one).

That makes things a bit trickier. You could check a local reef club to see if someone will let you borrow theirs.

If you unplug the apex from Ethernet and plug it back in, do you see a device pop up on your router?

Do you have a solid green and flashing orange light on the Ethernet port?

Frequent Visitor
    That makes things a bit trickier. You could check a local reef club to see if someone will let you borrow theirs.

If you unplug the apex from Ethernet and plug it back in, do you see a device pop up on your router?

Do you have a solid green and flashing orange light on the Ethernet port?

The IP does show and then disappears. The light is a solid green on the APEX.

Could be a bunk Ethernet cable. Try swapping it with another one that you know works.

Frequent Visitor
    Could be a bunk Ethernet cable. Try swapping it with another one that you know works.

Thought of that too. Just changed it and still no good.

Do you have a long Ethernet that could go straight to the router? If not, can you connect to the internet over Ethernet connecting a computer to the WiFi adaptor?

Frequent Visitor
    If not, can you connect to the internet over Ethernet connecting a computer to the WiFi adaptor?

I can connect straight to the extender with my laptop, yes.

I'm at a loss then. The only other things I think you could try would require a display or connecting directly with a laptop which can het kinda hairy without a display.

Frequent Visitor
    I'm at a loss then. The only other things I think you could try would require a display or connecting directly with a laptop which can het kinda hairy without a display.

What do you mean connect directly with a laptop?

You can connect a laptop directly to an apex but I have never tried it on DHCP or without a display. I believe you need to run some sort of DHCP server application to allow that to work if you don't have a static ip set in the device. This could potentially allow you access to change the network settings over the classic dashboard without a display but might not work.

Frequent Visitor
    You can connect a laptop directly to an apex but I have never tried it on DHCP or without a display. I believe you need to run some sort of DHCP server application to allow that to work if you don't have a static ip set in the device. This could potentially allow you access to change the network settings over the classic dashboard without a display but might not work.

So basically the only way to try and solve this is by getting a display?

Frequent Visitor
    Connect the apex directly to the router/switch. In theory it should hopefully give the apex a dhcp address. The router should have a list of dhcp leases it's handing out, look for the apex listed in there.

If that doesn't work out then get zenmap and scan the subnet. That should tell you the address of the apex.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Jlentz View Post
    Connect the apex directly to the router/switch. In theory it should hopefully give the apex a dhcp address. The router should have a list of dhcp leases it's handing out, look for the apex listed in there.

If that doesn't work out then get zenmap and scan the subnet. That should tell you the address of the apex.

I haven't done it in so long, which part of the apex do I plug into the router? Just the ethernet port "brain"?

Quote Originally Posted by Breakthecycle2 View Post
    I haven't done it in so long, which part of the apex do I plug into the router? Just the ethernet port "brain"?
    Yes

Frequent Visitor

I downloaded zenmap. Do you have any messenger service to help me out with what to scan?

Frequent Visitor
    What is the IP address of your computer/router?

Frequent Visitor
    For example. Let's assume your router is 192.168.1.1 subnet mask 255.255.255.0.

In the target field of zenmap type in the following:
    192.168.1.1/24
    The quick scan should be ok but intense should work as well.

Frequent Visitor

Can no longer access Apex

If it helps. Both my apex come up with:

00:0c:11:23:xx:xx (Nippon Dempa) MAC address.

Ports 23/telnet and 80/http.

Edited to tweak formatting on Tapatalk.

Frequent Visitor
    These are both classic apex systems so the MAC address range may be completely different if you've got a really new or old one.

Frequent Visitor
    So, i ran the 192.168.1.1/24 and the IP its usually associated with says "host down" and no other IP show anything related to APEX. I even ran the APEX flash utility and its not pocking it up at all.

Frequent Visitor
    Damn. Did you have a static ip setup in it before?

I'd start asking around locally if anyone has a display to use for a bit so you can just do that.

Frequent Visitor
    Damn. Did you have a static ip setup in it before?

I'd start asking around locally if anyone has a display to use for a bit so you can just do that.

No i didn't. I even ran the android app on my phone to search for it and it's not picking it up. I really don't get how its been there all this time and no its just gone.

Frequent Visitor
    You were using a gaming adapter right? Mine worked great for a long time until suddenly it didn't. I ended up running a hardwire after that happened. I needed to use my displays to reset the ip addressing manually. I had them unplugged at the time and had to find them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast