Thread: Power loss - Program to auto-Reboot?

New User

Question Power loss - Program to auto-Reboot?

Having recently installed an Apex Classic, I've experienced my first couple power outages in my neighborhood, which uncovered a 'slight' problem...... I've had to reboot my Apex each time for it to reconnect to Fusion, which defeats one of the main benefits of having a "advanced" controller. I have read some posts arguing that this happens when the Apex searches the network before the router/modem has finished it's reboot to assign an IP address. I've read where people have said tech support just lays blame on your router and you're stuck without any true 'support'. (unsubstantiated)

So I figured I'd try here first. Any suggested solutions that have worked for people? What I was thinking if there was some coding that could detect a power outage and upon return of power, initiate a reboot.

Use a static ip address. DHCP router issues go away if your apex already knows what ip to use (very few routers exhibit this problem anyway).

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

Regular Vistor
    Yeah, when your router loses power or resets, if you don't have a static ip, it will get a new one but your apex will only remember the old one, I have a ups for power backup to the apex (base unit only) and modem/router, I'm not sure if that helps with the IP address issue yet, but from what I can tell, it does for me

New User
    Thanks. I'll work on setting it up with a staticIP. Is there a 'if it loses power, when you regain power, do this...'coding? I was thinking of making another post, but another issue relatedto losing home power (minus solving it by getting an UPS) is since I'm running mykalk through my ATO, when power kicks back on, I need to program a 2minutedelay (only when I lose power) until the sump water levels have leveledout. What's happening now (without the kalk currently connected) is whenpower is restored, my return pump goes low, triggers the ATO until it fillsback up through the normal cycling (i.e. not due to actual loss ofwater). I'm interested in how to delay the ATO for say 2minutes once theEB8/Apex regains power.

Quote Originally Posted by CaLevi View Post
    Thanks. I'll work on setting it up with a staticIP. Is there a 'if it loses power, when you regain power, do this...'coding? I was thinking of making another post, but another issue relatedto losing home power (minus solving it by getting an UPS) is since I'm running mykalk through my ATO, when power kicks back on, I need to program a 2minutedelay (only when I lose power) until the sump water levels have leveledout. What's happening now (without the kalk currently connected) is whenpower is restored, my return pump goes low, triggers the ATO until it fillsback up through the normal cycling (i.e. not due to actual loss ofwater). I'm interested in how to delay the ATO for say 2minutes once theEB8/Apex regains power.
    Yes. Use one of these two lines depending on if and how you have a UPS setup. Replace EB8_X with the energy bar name.

If Power Apex Off 002 Then OFF

If Power EB8_X Off 002 Then OFF

Both of these will turn an outlet off while power is lost and for 2 minutes after it is restored.

Regular Vistor
    I think he means a defer statement for his ATO, mine is something like

Defer 10:00 then on

That means that if it's off for whatever reason, it will wait 10 minutes before coming back on

Quote Originally Posted by Scarface View Post
    I think he means a defer statement for his ATO, mine is something like

Defer 10:00 then on

That means that if it's off for whatever reason, it will wait 10 minutes before coming back on
    That is good to do in general and basically serves the same purpose, but not what he asked for. He asked specifically how to delay 2 minutes following a power outage.

Regular Vistor
    Doesn't your example above just turn something off it something else has been off for 002? Wouldn't he want something that's like,

Set off
    Fallback off
    If power eb8 off 002 then off
    Defer 2:00 then on

I'm probably wrong

Doesn't your example above just turn something off it something else has been off for 002? Wouldn't he want something that's like,

Set off
    Fallback off
    If power eb8 off 002 then off
    Defer 2:00 then on

I'm probably wrong
    Nope.

If Power Apex Off 002 Then OFF

Turns the outlet off during and for 2 minutes after the head unit has lost power or rebooted.

If Power EB8_X Off 002 Then OFF

Turns the outlet off during and for 2 minutes following a loss of power to the energy bar or loss of communications between the energy bar and the apex.

Regular Vistor
    I thought, if reading that program, if the apex/energy bar is off for 2 minutes, then turn off, there's nothing about turning it off for 2:00, if that was the case, wouldn't it read then off for 002? See the order of the program there?

With that said, a defer does indirectly get to the same objective because the water level would be high hence the ATO would be off as a power outage started rather than an indeterminate state, so the defer would still indirectly apply to a power outage and has the added benefit of working for manually turning the return off for feedings or maintenance

I thought, if reading that program, if the apex/energy bar is off for 2 minutes, then turn off, there's nothing about turning it off for 2:00, if that was the case, wouldn't it read then off for 002? See the order of the program there?
    That isn't the syntax for power statements the 002 is the amount of time after power is restored not how long power has been out for.

New User
    I came across this thread in an effort to delay my ATO form turning back on for 2 minutes once power is restored after a power outage. I cannot get the below code to work. I've tried both ON and OFF for the last command. My ATO sensor is independent from Apex so I'm just using the line of code to control power to an outlet on the energy bar that powers my ATO unit.

Fallback ON
    If Power EB832_2 Off 002 Then OFF

I also tried just adding the last line of code to my skimmer program as it also kick on immediately after power outage and I'd like to prevent that.

Fallback OFF
    Set ON
    If FeedA 000 Then OFF
    Defer 005:00 Then ON

What am I doing wrong in these two instances?

Quote Originally Posted by shanew76 View Post
    I came across this thread in an effort to delay my ATO form turning back on for 2 minutes once power is restored after a power outage. I cannot get the below code to work. I've tried both ON and OFF for the last command. My ATO sensor is independent from Apex so I'm just using the line of code to control power to an outlet on the energy bar that powers my ATO unit.

Fallback ON

I also tried just adding the last line of code to my skimmer program as it also kick on immediately after power outage and I'd like to prevent that.

Fallback OFF
    Set ON
    If FeedA 000 Then OFF
    Defer 005:00 Then ON

What am I doing wrong in these two instances?
    You need a set ON for the ATO code. Also, unless you are using a UPS connected to the apex aux power supply, you should be using Apex, not EB8 in your power statement.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

New User
    That fixed it, Thank you