Thread: AC Program Help

Frequent Visitor

AC Program Help

Hello:

Would appreciate some help with some programming my Apex to run a Air Conditioner. the issue is the outlet will not turn on or it will turn on and not shut off depending on the wording of the virtual outlets in the main program. I am sure it's something simple. The virtual outlets appear to work and are turning on and off at the correct times.

Virtual Outlet
    [AC_MF]
    Set OFF
    If Time 23:15 to 07:30 Then ON
    If DoW S-----S Then OFF

[AC_SS]
    Set OFF
    If Time 04:00 to 11:00 Then ON
    If DoW -MTWTF- Then OFF

[Main Program]
    Fallback OFF
    Set ON
    If Temp_2 > 76.0 Then ON
    If Temp_2 < 75.0 Then OFF
    If Outlet AC_SS = ON Then ON ' If Outlet AC_SS = OFF Then OFF Doesn't resolve the issue, just won't turn on the outlet'
    If Outlet AC_MF = ON Then ON ' If Outlet AC_MF = OFF Then OFF Doesn't resolve the issue, just won't turn on the outlet'
    Min Time 030:00 Then OFF
    -=Bryan=-

You want

If Outlet AC_MF = OFF Then OFF
    If Outlet AC_SS = OFF Then OFF

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

Frequent Visitor
    Doesn't work either. Outlet will not turn on. I thought it might be the SET statement so removed it, no change. If I change back to ON it will start but not turn off if the temp drops below 75
    -=Bryan=-

Frequent Visitor
    The unit probably controls on temp when outside the time limits determined by your VO, correct?

the if outlet statements, being last, will control things and keep it on or off no matter what the temp is. Remember the code is evaluated from top to bottom with the last true statement controlling the unit.

do you only want the AC on during the times listed in your VO? If so then you should put the temp statements in the VO and use it time - off statements for the times you want it off. Then in the main program just use the if outlet statements.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    Doesn't work either. Outlet will not turn on. I thought it might be the SET statement so removed it, no change. If I change back to ON it will start but not turn off if the temp drops below 75
    I was only referring to the outlet callouts. Not the whole program. This is the whole code

Fallback OFF
    If Temp_2 > 76.0 Then ON
    If Temp_2 < 75.0 Then OFF
    If Outlet AC_SS = OFF Then OFF
    If Outlet AC_MF = OFF Then OFF
    Min Time 030:00 Then OFF

Also might want to rethink that 30 minutes in min time. I know my AC at home sometimes needs to run 50 minutes an hour to maintain temp in the dead of summer. 10 is probably better.

Can you explain why you have the allowed on times for weekdays and weekends as they are? I do not comprehend why you are allowing the AC to operate only during the night on weekdays and in the morning during weekends. Seems to me that you'd want the AC to be able to run during the peak daylight hours when it's hotter outside and presumably, warmer inside.

Is the Temp_2 probe measuring water (tank) temperature or ambient air temperature?
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Frogfish View Post
    The unit probably controls on temp when outside the time limits determined by your VO, correct?

the if outlet statements, being last, will control things and keep it on or off no matter what the temp is. Remember the code is evaluated from top to bottom with the last true statement controlling the unit.

do you only want the AC on during the times listed in your VO? If so then you should put the temp statements in the VO and use it time - off statements for the times you want it off. Then in the main program just use the if outlet statements.
    Thanks, that did the trick, haven't tested fully, but seems to be working the way it should.
    -=Bryan=-

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by RussM View Post
    Can you explain why you have the allowed on times for weekdays and weekends as they are? I do not comprehend why you are allowing the AC to operate only during the night on weekdays and in the morning during weekends. Seems to me that you'd want the AC to be able to run during the peak daylight hours when it's hotter outside and presumably, warmer inside.

Is the Temp_2 probe measuring water (tank) temperature or ambient air temperature?
    Ha, well it's because on the weekends I tend to stay up very late. the AC is only for the bedroom (cheapo wall unit). Only want the AC on when I am sleeping. The temp_2 is for ambient temperature.
    -=Bryan=-

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post
    Also might want to rethink that 30 minutes in min time. I know my AC at home sometimes needs to run 50 minutes an hour to maintain temp in the dead of summer. 10 is probably better.
    I chose 30 minutes as it seemed to be a good band to keep the AC from cycling too fast. If it is really hot out for a stretch I decrease it. Looking at the logs it typically takes about 45 minutes for the temp to rise above the upper set point. More of a safety to keep the AC from cycling too much, defective probe , other variables etc.
    -=Bryan=-