Thread: Programming DOS to stop Dosing when conducting manual water changes

New User

Programming DOS to stop Dosing when conducting manual water changes

I currently conduct monthly WCs and overall tank maintenance, which could take around 40 minutes or more. During WC my DOS is dosing Calcium (day) or alkalinity (night) into my very small return area (Eshopps 3rd gen r-100). I might WC during the day or night. I have a maintenance virtual outlet that I turn on to shut down everything down for WC and other activities, excluding my DOS and lights. When completing WC, the entire amount of Calcium or Alkalinity in the return (approx. 18 ml) flows into my display tank.

1) is 18 ml too much at one time?

2) to turn off DOS during WC, can I just add . . . If Output Maint = ON Then OFF ?

3) I dose a total of 270 ml of Calcium during the day and 270 ml of Alkalinity during the night. If enough time is remaining in the dosing schedule, will the DOS adjust to dosage to compensate for the missed amount of scheduled 270 ml?

I have apex 2016, 90 gallon mixed reef with more SPS than LPS or softies.

3. If a schedule DŌS dose is missed due to other programming preventing it, it is simply missed; it will not be made up at another time.

1. Can't say for sure - not enough info.
    2. Yes, but that brings up the dilemma you mention, in that it may result in a less-than-normal amount of one additive or the other being dosed that day. If you only do WC and maintenance once a month, the impact of that overall probably isn't all that significant in the big picture. But only you can decide if that minor loss of dosing is acceptable or not. If you deem it unacceptable, one possibility is to leave a gap of an hour or two between the programmed calcium and alk dosing schedules, then do the monthly maintenance during one of those open windows when dosing is not scheduled.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.