Thread: Graphing Radions?

Frequent Visitor

Graphing Radions?

So it appears that the Radion G4 Pro does not get logged like a normal output. I'm assuming that is because the device is always on, even if it is not emitting light. Since the Radion is always on and does not log an on/off state for the outlet to be graphed, I though I would just look at the Power Usage logs. Nope, the Radion does not even show up as an option in that list. I wanted to be able to compare the changes in water temperature when I switched from my MH to the Radion and it would be nice to see a comparison on the cost of running them both.

So, is there a way to log/graph when the Radion is actually "on" (emitting light)?

Frequent Contributor iamchadster's Avatar
    Go into the advanced settings of the Radion outlet that was created when you attached them (the little cogwheel upper right of tab). Check the enable logging box.
    Chad

Frequent Visitor
    Thanks, but it is already enabled.

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

Two options to consider...

- Add a PAR Monitoring Kit to your Apex system.
    - plug the Radion power supply into a EB832 outlet, program that outlet to be always ON, then you can monitor power consumption in watts.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

There will be some error doing this (since consumption varies depending on spectrum and intensity with radions), but you could take the average intensity you set in the wizard, multiply that by the total wattage and then by 24*30*price/Wh to get monthly running costs for the radion. Add that to heater costs.

The halide cost (per bulb) is running hours * 290*30*price/Wh (270 if you use an electronic ballast) plus heating costs.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by RussM View Post
    Two options to consider...

- Add a PAR Monitoring Kit to your Apex system.
    - plug the Radion power supply into a EB832 outlet, program that outlet to be always ON, then you can monitor power consumption in watts.
    I do have the PMK, but I don't really want to leave it in my tank all the time. And my Radion is plugged into an EB832, shows up as 4_17 even though it's actually plugged into 3_4. Here is the current Program for it:

Code:
    Fallback OFF
    tdata 06:00:00,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0
    tdata 11:00:00,0,0,25,75,75,100,100,100,75,75,100,0,0
    tdata 20:00:00,0,0,25,75,75,100,100,100,75,75,100,0,0
    tdata 22:05:00,0,0,5,0,0,0,25,0,0,0,0,0,0
    So I should change the "Fallback OFF" to "Always ON"?

Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post
    There will be some error doing this (since consumption varies depending on spectrum and intensity with radions), but you could take the average intensity you set in the wizard, multiply that by the total wattage and then by 24*30*price/Wh to get monthly running costs for the radion. Add that to heater costs.

The halide cost (per bulb) is running hours * 290*30*price/Wh (270 if you use an electronic ballast) plus heating costs.

Thanks for that info, but sounds too much like a hassle to just get some interesting data points.

Quote Originally Posted by Etoimos View Post
    I do have the PMK, but I don't really want to leave it in my tank all the time. And my Radion is plugged into an EB832, shows up as 4_17 even though it's actually plugged into 3_4. Here is the current Program for it:
    So I should change the "Fallback OFF" to "Always ON"?
    4_17 is the Radion output which was created when you paired the Radion with the WXM. 3_4 is the EB832 outlet. Birds of a different feather. Do not reprogram the Radion output as always ON.

Why would you not want to have the PAR sensor in your tank all the time? It's perfectly fine to do so. Of course, if it's because you don't want to see the cord all the time, that's understandable.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by RussM View Post
    4_17 is the Radion output which was created when you paired the Radion with the WXM. 3_4 is the EB832 outlet. Birds of a different feather. Do not reprogram the Radion output as always ON.

Why would you not want to have the PAR sensor in your tank all the time? It's perfectly fine to do so. Of course, if it's because you don't want to see the cord all the time, that's understandable.
    It is the cord and unless I come up with a new holder for it, the fake live rock is too big. I only have a 60g cube.... 24x24x24. Sand bed space is at a premium.

So, is there not an easy way to graph when it is emitting light?

Quote Originally Posted by Etoimos View Post
    It is the cord and unless I come up with a new holder for it, the fake live rock is too big. I only have a 60g cube.... 24x24x24. Sand bed space is at a premium.

So, is there not an easy way to graph when it is emitting light?

Not without actually measuring it or observing the cutoff percentage. Not even the radion knows if it's emitting light or not.

Frequent Visitor
    Okay, I'm an idiot. The Radion is actually plugged into 3_5 and that one does show up on the power usage graph... as Skimmer. I think that is the default name/program that NS assigns to it.