Thread: 2016 and Hydra HD'

2016 and Hydra HD'

Appolgies for asking this, but I have been searching through the threads with no success.

I'm fully aware the HD's cant connect to the classic, however I'm upgrading to the 2016 model and I'm sure I read these can connect via a little jiger-pokery Can someone please advise if this is possible and if so how

The Apex (2016) cannot at this time fully control Hydra HDs.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Thanks Russ. wasn't 100% sure I just thought I read something.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

New User
    Are there any plans in the works to be able to control them ?

New User
    For anyone else who runs across this thread, the original (non HD) Hydra 52 was the last version that works with the Neptune AWM (AI Wireless Module). After that model, AI switched from custom RF control to built-in wifi that connected to the AI cloud service. That was also about the time that AI "merged" with Ecotech Marine and, in my opinion, the end of AI as we knew it. Upgrade kits were no longer offered and AI seemed to stop caring about integration with controllers like the Apex.

Don't get me wrong, I love my Aqua Illumination lights. They're franken-lights that were Sols that were upgraded to Vegas that were upgraded to Hydras that were upgraded to Hydra 52s. However, if I had to choose today, I wouldn't go with AI lights. The cloud offering and apps are the only way to control the newer AI fixtures and neither the app or the cloud service gets anywhere near the attention that Ecosmart Live gets. It's fairly clear that Ecotech Marine is the "parent" in the merged company.

New User
    Then why is Neptune saying you can control Hydra HD's with the apex. See video

https://youtu.be/8dXd7Fe79sw?t=586

New User
    I'm guessing the the whole IoT-A thing didn't work out.

Do you need any extra hardware to control the Hydra 26 HD, or can you just use their Cloud service?

Quote Originally Posted by willper View Post
    Do you need any extra hardware to control the Hydra 26 HD, or can you just use their Cloud service?
    No extra hardware needed. I personally find it easier to configure lights using the AI interface as compared to Ecotech's. Although I would rather manage them with the Apex interface, which is better than either of the native systems.

I heard a rumor that Apex integration with the newer AI models is coming back soon, in firmware, without need of additional modules. Hopefully not just wishful thinking.

New User
    Quote Originally Posted by rkpetersen View Post
    No extra hardware needed. I personally find it easier to configure lights using the AI interface as compared to Ecotech's. Although I would rather manage them with the Apex interface, which is better than either of the native systems.

I heard a rumor that Apex integration with the newer AI models is coming back soon, in firmware, without need of additional modules. Hopefully not just wishful thinking.
    Is there any news or progress on this? I would really love to be able to control my AI Hydras with the Apex 2016.

Neptune demo'd this ability at Reefapalooza Orlando a few weeks back. They had the Apex controlling one AI 26 HD, one AI 52 HD, and a third wifi enabled light of another brand all being controlled using IoT-A running on an Apex. This capability does not require any special hardware to make it work.

Regular Vistor
    I sure would like to know HOW as every time I call and ask when i hear this I'm told no... Not yet, Not the HD.

Quote Originally Posted by david.vondrasek View Post
    I sure would like to know HOW as every time I call and ask when i hear this I'm told no... Not yet, Not the HD.
    Its still in internal Neptune testing. Terrance will announce when it is going to be released, but given the questions on the NSI application, I assume that it's going to go through a round of beta testing then get rolled out after that. I would not expect to see something rolled out for at least a month if not longer.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

Regular Vistor
    Thanks Zombie.. I filled out the NSI app just for giggles... So maybe.. lol Hell I break websites and Coding all day for a living to check for issues, mind as well try and break APEX too