Thread: computer idiot needs help...apex jr

Regular Vistor

computer idiot needs help...apex jr

I'm sorry. I may be too computer illiterate to do this. If you're patient perhaps you can help me...I will be grateful.

I want to update some settings on my apex jr. I have not logged on to it in years. I just runs as a timer...now I need it to control heater and was considering a pH probe.

Here's what I've done:

I downloaded the firmware to my Mac.
    I connected my Mac directly to the router, turned off the Wi-Fi, and plug the apex directly into the router.
    I cycled the power on the Apex.
    I launched the Apex firmware app on the Mac.
    I hit the search for controllers button and it detected my Apex.
    I selected the controller and hit the update firm ware button.

It attempts to connect to the controller but I get it repeated "failed unlock attempt" " operation timed out"

If I hit the browse button, it attempts to open the Apex IP address 10.0.1.3 in a safari window, but nothing happened. Safari just hangs up and eventually says "cannot open the page"

I found that my mac and router IPs are not similar to my apex. They are 192.168.1.254. I think the apex must be wrong. doesn't it get a new IP from the router? (patience, please).

Sounds like you replaced your router at some point in the past.

If you have a display module, go into System->Net Setup and enable DHCP. Then restart the Apex. Wait 2 minutes, then try again - use the search for controllers function again; hopefully you'll see the Apex listed with a 192.168.1.x address.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Regular Vistor
    I did replace my router! At least twice.

I bought the Apex Junior with no display. What else can I try?

Thanks so much

The only way I am aware of without a display is to connect your Mac directly to the apex with a static ip set in the Macs ipv4 settings to an ip of 10.0.1.2 subnet 255.255.255.0 and gateway and DNS left blank (I don't own a Mac so it might be called something different). Then type 10.0.1.3 into the safari window. This will take you to the classic dashboard where you can enable dhcp.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

computer idiot needs help...apex jr

Run the Apex app on the Mac (the one you downlaoded and installed to update the firmware). Search for the Apex, then select it. Then click the Configure button., which will bring up a dialog like this:

cnniodfaplanccci.png

I suspect that it will come up with the "Use the following network configuration option" being selected. Choose the "Obtain network settings automatically" option, then click OK. The Apex will reboot. Then wait 2 minutes and try again with the search feature.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Regular Vistor
    Zombie-thanks, I did not give your suggestion a try because RussM's worked!

RussM - thank you very much. The picture and basic explanation helped a lot and I was able to update firmware and webpages. I really appreciate it.