Thread: Energy Bar EB832 Not switching on outlets

New User

Energy Bar EB832 Not switching on outlets

I just got back from travel to find the energy bar isn't working. It has power and when power cycled it turns on the correct outlets and then turns them all off. I can't find any error messages either. In the management page there is a red exclamation for the EB832 but it doesn't say what's wrong.

I disconnected all the devices from the bar too, same result - they switch on and then off again ... this isn't a program issue either, some ports are fixed on and always have been and they're now off.

The devices connected are extremely low amp too. It as SWRev 255... it says it's old but I don't see any options to upgrade.

Thanks

Frequent Contributor iamchadster's Avatar
    You need to upgrade the FW on the eb832. Go into the module setup page and click on the eb832 in question. Then in the next screen for "action" choose upgrade firmware.
    Chad

New User
    Thanks, tried that now multiple times - it says the firmware was installed OK but it's the same version, 255.

What is the status LED panel on the EB832 doing? Is it lit solid orange, flashing orange, or ???
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

New User
    Solid Orange

New User
    I got it upgraded, just kept doing it and eventually it took. I find it insane that this can happen, I never upgraded any other software and so this thing just shuts down one day....

Thanks for the tips.

New User

Energy Bar EB832 Not switching on outlets

I am having the same issue. Solid Orange light. Power for 2 seconds, then shut off. Not only is my EB8displaying the ! triangle, but all the outlets on the EB8 show the same error. I have tried to update at least 5 times, the update is successful but the same revision remains. I changed the name of the EB8 in desperation, thinking that may break the log jam. no such luck.
    My second EB8 is working nominally. I have the return and protein skimmer pumps connected to a power strip as a bypass, but this is ridiculous.
    For such an expensive bit of hardware, this is remarkably unstable.

New User
    yeah, the update process isn't reliable. Maybe switch to another wifi if you have it and try update over that, who knows - all the wifi/networking is unreliable, I now after many attempts mine finally updated.

New User
    Well I just updated the AOS system and my EB8 is still not updating. I checked the yellow button in the back. No dice. When I unplug the EB8 and plug it back in, I hear the relay click. Then two seconds later, it clicks again. Basically it is resetting. I will have to dig out my receipts etc and check the warranty. Does anyone recall how long the warranty is?
    By the way my 2nd EB8 is working fine.

Quote Originally Posted by typemismatch View Post
    yeah, the update process isn't reliable. Maybe switch to another wifi if you have it and try update over that, who knows - all the wifi/networking is unreliable, I now after many attempts mine finally updated.
    moduel firmware updates do not take place over the Wi-Fi or Ethernet network. They are sent from the Apex to the target module over Aquabus.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Mondor66 View Post
    Well I just updated the AOS system and my EB8 is still not updating. I checked the yellow button in the back. No dice. When I unplug the EB8 and plug it back in, I hear the relay click. Then two seconds later, it clicks again. Basically it is resetting. I will have to dig out my receipts etc and check the warranty. Does anyone recall how long the warranty is?
    By the way my 2nd EB8 is working fine.
    Go to the Modules page, and look in the SWRev column; does the EB832 show as 8(OK), or something else? If not 8(OK), what does it show. In the Status column for the EB832, does it show checkmark or a warning symbol? Is there more EB832 listed than you actually have?

Frequent Visitor
    I am experiencing the same issue as other have posted. My outlets are off, and my dashboard shows a red exclamation point.2017-12-15.jpg
    The firmware says 8 ok. I have updated the firmware to see if that would make a change with no luck. Any suggestions?
    2017-12-15 (1).jpg

The red exclamation point and 0 volts indication says that the EB832 has no power. Verify that it is plugged into an AC outlet which has power. Did you plug it into one of the other EnergyBars? If so, plug it into a regular wall outlet.

Frequent Visitor
    Thanks Russ, the EB was not completely plugged in. Problem solved.

Regular Vistor
    I am having this same issue with an Apex on a tank I help maintain.

Owner was hooking up a tablet for a display, bumped the power cord to the second EB832, and then all sorts of problems.

Status light is more of a yellow color than orange when compared to the light on the first EB832.

What we have tried:
    -Checking for firmware updates (up to date)
    -Unplugging EB832 from power and Aquabus cables, waiting for fusion/dashboard to recognize it is not connected, then plugging it back in
    -Restarting Apex (usually results in outlets coming on for about 15 seconds then turning back off, even when set to ON in Fusion/Dashboard)
    -Disconnecting and deleting EB832 from modules, then reconnecting and adding

At one point Fusion was treating all of the outputs as if they were probes, even going as far as to provide the reading box (similar to tmp, pH, etc) as new tiles.

Not sure where to go from here other than a complete factory reset.

Quote Originally Posted by Js.Aqua.Project View Post
    I am having this same issue with an Apex on a tank I help maintain.

Owner was hooking up a tablet for a display, bumped the power cord to the second EB832, and then all sorts of problems.

Status light is more of a yellow color than orange when compared to the light on the first EB832.

What we have tried:
    -Checking for firmware updates (up to date)
    -Unplugging EB832 from power and Aquabus cables, waiting for fusion/dashboard to recognize it is not connected, then plugging it back in
    -Restarting Apex (usually results in outlets coming on for about 15 seconds then turning back off, even when set to ON in Fusion/Dashboard)
    -Disconnecting and deleting EB832 from modules, then reconnecting and adding

At one point Fusion was treating all of the outputs as if they were probes, even going as far as to provide the reading box (similar to tmp, pH, etc) as new tiles.

Not sure where to go from here other than a complete factory reset.
    I would contact support for that one. That is gonna require some extra tools that only support has to fix

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

Regular Vistor
    I decided to contact support. Even though fusion was reporting the firmware was up to date, the firmware was updated by the support person and now this issue is resolved.

New User
    Help! Outlets 1 and 2 are dead. No orange L.E.D. Also no 24v output for Pmup ! I have a red exclamation point in the module area for the EB832 and it doesn't show any info for Amps or watts . It says the EB software is old but I've updated it 5 times. It takes but the exclamation point never goes away. I tried to reboot and unplug the EB . No luck. Is my EB cooked? Are the 'A' 24v output and the 1 and 2 outlets connected internally. Did they short out? Please help someone!

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Havanchak View Post
    Help! Outlets 1 and 2 are dead. No orange L.E.D. Also no 24v output for Pmup ! I have a red exclamation point in the module area for the EB832 and it doesn't show any info for Amps or watts . It says the EB software is old but I've updated it 5 times. It takes but the exclamation point never goes away. I tried to reboot and unplug the EB . No luck. Is my EB cooked? Are the 'A' 24v output and the 1 and 2 outlets connected internally. Did they short out? Please help someone!
    Sounds like a hardware issue we won't be able to help you with on the forums. They probably aren't shorted or else your house breaker or fuse on the EB would have tripped. Send support a ticket request.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

Frequent Visitor
    I already Have a ticket in, multiple outlets not working correctly, now I have a clicking coming from outlet 8. I have done firmware updates, unplug, re-plug, breaker check. It's so frustrating, especially after you get everything dialed in.

New User
    ok I am new to apex so my problem is I have hooked up my radions through the wxm mod so they seem to be working fine, but how can I attach that to one of my switches on the energy bar? I can't figure out how to do it to save my life, is there a way I can get a list of all the switches on the energy bar and I can rename or add witch device I want for that switch to control?

any help would be greatly appreciate.

New User
    I know this is an old thread but I found it while having exactly the same problem and thought it would be helpful to reply with what worked for me!

Turned out my aquabus lead was a tiny bit loose. It's the USB looking one that goes from the top right of the Apex to the left side of the Energy Bar. It was loose at the Energy Bar end. Once I wiggled it in a bit, everything started working again!

Regular Vistor

Plugs dead but everything else is good?

I'm having a similar issue. My WAV's and DOS are doing fine. The status lights for each plug are responding to changes in fusion but no power at the plugs. Status lights A and B are both out and I don't hear the mechanical click from the relays.

New User

EB832 no power to outlets

My EB832 is plugged directly into the wall outlet, all the orange lights are on, and it's successfully powering up my Apex and Trident units, but no power is being passed through to the outlets. I've confirmed the software versions for the Apex, EB832 and Trident are all up-to-date. This makes no sense, starting to regret purchasing an Apex... Please help!

1.jpg

2.png

3.png

New User
    Re em805 post Dec 23: I bought a used EB832 so I don't know how old it is but it appears to have the same problem: AC outlets are not working although indicator lights and Fusion displays look fine.

There is a small power supply inside the EB832 that activates the AC relays and this may have failed. There are a few videos on this. This youtube video describes the problem and the fix: https://youtu.be/iWyL_9ox0y0?si=7omQ09C_WUW_erzE

I ordered the part for a few dollars off amazon yesterday. Hoping this works out.