Thread: Pre-Sales Questions

New User

Question Pre-Sales Questions

Hi Everyone:

Looking to have some presales questions answered. I've done quite a bit of reading about Apex. As far as controllers I feel its the only one out there that has the ability to provide the features I need for my system other than doing a custom Arduino + PI3 solution. Currently looking at this for my 500G DT / 100G Frag Tank / 200G Sump System. My questions are below that I've been struggling to find answers for.

1. Has the backup situation been resolved? I've read a lot of threads stating there is no true "backup/restore" function available. At best its just a printed summary file. On a large system with lots of custom logic this could be a nightmare. All I keep reading is it's been promised in a firmware update for the last few years.
    2. How good is the custom logic? Do I have the ability to have flow meters on my pumps, in the event no flow is detect it turns off power to the current pump and apply power to my backup pump.
    3. Are there any extensions available for the probes? I would like to install the main unit in a Hoffman NEMA 4X stainless enclosure in my fish room 10' from the sump. My reason behind this is I've read countless posts with moisture failures on the main unit as its not waterproof. In the end it ends up not being covered under warranty.
    4. Any chance there's humidity probes or a 3rd party probe that works? I would like to handle the control of my ERV system in the fishroom using this as well.
    5. I've read a lot about the modules not being waterproof or splash proof. For those of you who've installed them in weatherproof enclosures to protect against failures has this prevented them?
    6. This is a huge investment on a larger tank when multiple probes are required. With any investment you want to know the cold hard dirty truth on the warranty procedures and how people make out with the process. Thus far it seems its not great. I've read a lot of posts stating items were sent back the first year under warranty, and claims were denied various reason. I feel like I may just be reading the horror stories as no one posts positive experiences during the process. Has anyone had a positive warranty experience?

Thanks in advance

1. The backup has always worked well, there are just some caveats for it to work correctly. It only works on the same head unit style (a classic backup doesn't work for 2016 unit) and you need to plug modules back in the right order so the addresses match (support can change this for you if you can't get them to match).

2. Custom logic is great and the event you describe is easily done.

3. Neptune doesn't sell extensions, but you can use a BNC male to BNC female extension cable for this purpose (eBay or amazon probably)

4. Neptune supports 3rd party pH and ORP probes natively. Some third party probes can still be used if they output the right range by treating them like an ORP probe.

5. They are not waterproof, but are splash resistant to a degree (the ports themselves aren't, but the rest of the module is). A Nema 4r type enclosure would guarantee no water damage ever.

6. Warranty process is pretty good. If there is obvious water damage or other user damage they will deny the claim but the way you are setting up yours, you won't have to worry about that. If a major component fails, they will even send a loaner unit (with a deposit) to keep your tank up and running while your unit is being RMAd, which is unheard of in this industry. I've only personally dealt with out of warranty service (as the only thing that ever failed on me was 5 years old) and it was incredibly painless and reasonably priced.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

New User

Pre-Sales Questions

Thanks Zombie. That helped out a ton.