Thread: Apex won't reconnect to fusion

Regular Vistor

Apex won't reconnect to fusion

Getting real sick of the apex disconnecting from fusion and having to rest the unit constantly. Today I got a notice that it disconnected so I hit the reset button. I did get a notification that it reconnected but nothing will respond. I tried restarting it through fusion on my computer but that wouldn't work either. Is there something I can do to get this reconnected, more importantly is there an update coming that will get this device from disconnecting so often?

Thanks for your help

Could be a bug or could be your network (I have seen a bit of an uptick in these kinds of issues in the forums past month or so). How do you have it hooked up?

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

Frequent Visitor
    Mine is Lan lined / plugged directly into my router and disconnects a few times per week when my service decides to poop out.
    I have trouble getting it to reconnect as well, most times I have to restart the unit.
    I have noticed that certain IP addresses will not work for some reason and if the power goes out or the service poops on me I have to restart the unit and all is well.
    Made a list of the IP addresses that wont work for some reason and if I have no connection to fusion thats the first thing I check.
    Still learning all this technical stuff and even bought a new router that came highly recommended to me and still have issues, I have come to know that Charter just sucks.

The two most likely culprits then would be.

1. Your Ethernet cable needs to be replaced.

2. Your router doesn't play nice with apex DHCP. Trying a static ip from your list of working ip addresses may help (make sure the last octet is larger than the amount of devices you expect on the network. Between 50 and 254 is usually best).

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post
    The two most likely culprits then would be.

1. Your Ethernet cable needs to be replaced.

2. Your router doesn't play nice with apex DHCP. Trying a static ip from your list of working ip addresses may help (make sure the last octet is larger than the amount of devices you expect on the network. Between 50 and 254 is usually best).

I can rule out the cable, its new cat 6.
    So you are saying to use static option and manually change the IP address on the control pad (classic) or rather just the last numbers if they are lower than 50
    Thanks for the reply Zombie
    I hope this is helping the OP as well.

Yeah, just the last octet and then reboot the apex. (Ex 192.168.1.6 would become 192.168.1.123)

Regular Vistor
    Static ip is the way to go, just be sure nothing is using that IP first, bad things happen when 2 devices have the same IP same network, it's like dividing by zero.

if you have a PC, just ping the IP you want to use and if you get no responce, you are GTG. Without a PC, get an app called fing, it will map all IP's on your network, just pick one that's not being used.

I like to use whatever primary DNS the DHCP gave me and 8.8.8.8 for the secondary DNS

Frequent Visitor
    Thank you both for responding with great information.
    Just wish I understood more about these things like how to ''ping'' the IP address from a computer to make sure nothing else is using this IP.
    I have a lot of devices in my home that utilize WiFi having three kids. Our PS4 is Lan lined in as well along with the Apex.

Is there a video or something for dummies to learn about these great suggestions.
    I am pretty sure I can change my settings to static and manually change the last ocet numbers then reboot the system. Its more the finding out what else may be using the same IP is where I get lost.
    This sort of stuff is a new frontier for me to learn, better now I suppose.

Ping is not really necessary if you use an ip that is large like 123 for the last octet as you will never have that many devices connected, but this is how you would do so. It's a good skill to know as it can be very helpful for network troubleshooting.

Ping can be done on your computer. If using Windows type cmd in the search bar by the windows logo to open command prompt. Then to for example test 192.168.1.123 you would type (no quotes) "ping 192.168.1.123" into command prompt. If the destination is currently being used by a device it will give you a message telling you the ping time in ms and if any packets were dropped. If no device is connected to the ip it will say destination unreachable.

This is also a good article on some useful things you can do with cmd prompt.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.how...ould-know/amp/

Regular Vistor
    If you don't check with ping enough times, eventually you will get burned. You don't have to but it's is best practices. I would avoid 4th octets in the 100-200 range as it's a common range setting for home router DHCP allocations.

Even if you do ping check, that's not 100%, ther could be an offline device with that IP, best way would be to check the ARP table but that's a little more involved.

Just get the fing app and check it that way. Super simple.

Regular Vistor
    Some unit have either faulty network module ( wifi and or ethernet).

I am dealing with support as we speak. I have tested it a lot.

I have a static address reserved in my router for my apex. All of my devices at home have a static address. So, no conflict there.

I have tried thru wifi, thru ethernet, I even added a switch so I could monitor both my Seneye and my Apex.

Since May 22nd, I have had at least 57 disconnect of various length of time (88 days). Some lasted up to 4 days has I was not home to reboot my Apex. Sometimes, it will reconnect after 10-20 minutes on it's own and other time it will need my to unplug the aquabus to shut power from the unit.

When it goes down, I would jump on my computer and ping it without any responses. But, when I ping anything else ( even the seneye that is on the same switch ) it will respond to my ping request.

I have change the network cable to it 3 times with new ones and the one on the seneye.

So either thru Wi-Fi, Ethernet straight to the router or thru a switch, it is all the same.

Neptune as not yet ruled out that I may be doing something wrong tho.

Waiting game.....

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by Mobidoy View Post
    Some unit have either faulty network module ( wifi and or ethernet).

I am dealing with support as we speak. I have tested it a lot.

I have a static address reserved in my router for my apex. All of my devices at home have a static address. So, no conflict there.

I have tried thru wifi, thru ethernet, I even added a switch so I could monitor both my Seneye and my Apex.

Since May 22nd, I have had at least 57 disconnect of various length of time (88 days). Some lasted up to 4 days has I was not home to reboot my Apex. Sometimes, it will reconnect after 10-20 minutes on it's own and other time it will need my to unplug the aquabus to shut power from the unit.

When it goes down, I would jump on my computer and ping it without any responses. But, when I ping anything else ( even the seneye that is on the same switch ) it will respond to my ping request.

I have change the network cable to it 3 times with new ones and the one on the seneye.

So either thru Wi-Fi, Ethernet straight to the router or thru a switch, it is all the same.

Neptune as not yet ruled out that I may be doing something wrong tho.

Waiting game.....

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
    I have daily disconnects that were not improved through using a static IP address. Interestingly, as I am writing this, I am not able to connect to my apex either locally or through fusion but I can ping my unit. So it would appear that my unit is still connected to my network but thinks it isn't. I believe my issues started after upgrading my router. i upgrade my router approximately every 2 years to ensure I have the latest equipment. I am now using the Linksys EA9500. I also tried the latest Asus router and had the same issues so returned it. This is the second Linksys EA9500 I have tried and both have resulted in the same issue with my Apex. What I also find interesting is that I seem to experience more disconnects when I am home than when I am out of town. I was recently out of town and my apex went 4 days with no disconnects. My disconnects typically happen during low data traffic times though like early in the morning and the middle of the night. Is there a log file that can be accessed that might provide insight into what is happening when the apex disconnects? My router log file doesn't show anything related to the apex at the time of disconnect and still shows it as being connected.

Quote Originally Posted by bgoldb21 View Post
    I have daily disconnects that were not improved through using a static IP address. Interestingly, as I am writing this, I am not able to connect to my apex either locally or through fusion but I can ping my unit. So it would appear that my unit is still connected to my network but thinks it isn't. I believe my issues started after upgrading my router. i upgrade my router approximately every 2 years to ensure I have the latest equipment. I am now using the Linksys EA9500. I also tried the latest Asus router and had the same issues so returned it. This is the second Linksys EA9500 I have tried and both have resulted in the same issue with my Apex. What I also find interesting is that I seem to experience more disconnects when I am home than when I am out of town. I was recently out of town and my apex went 4 days with no disconnects. My disconnects typically happen during low data traffic times though like early in the morning and the middle of the night. Is there a log file that can be accessed that might provide insight into what is happening when the apex disconnects? My router log file doesn't show anything related to the apex at the time of disconnect and still shows it as being connected.
    Try primary and secondary DNS 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 respectively. Might help. Also make sure when connecting local that if your http port is not 80, you need to use :port at the end.

Frequent Visitor
    Also check the firewall settings on your new router. Certain settings intermittently caused problems with apex re-connecting after a power drop or a problem with the ISP going down. Apex would not/could not reconnect.

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by mnmnmn View Post
    Also check the firewall settings on your new router. Certain settings intermittently caused problems with apex re-connecting after a power drop or a problem with the ISP going down. Apex would not/could not reconnect.
    Thank you for your suggestions guys. I tried the Google DNS settings with a static IP address and it didn't help. I installed the older router again late last night and all seems to be working fine now (no drops yet fingers crossed). I have a feeling that more and more people are going to have connectivity issues as more people upgrade to newer routers unless Neptune figures out what is going on. I was using all default settings of the new router with a pretty basic setup so I don't think it was as a result of anything special that I was doing with my router configuration.

Frequent Visitor
    I was using all default settings of the new router with a pretty basic setup so I don't think it was as a result of anything special that I was doing with my router configuration.
    I was using the default settings on the router from my ISP until I got a NEST thermostat that wouldn't connect. Apparently, Of all security settings on the router - (High, Medium and Low), only the LOW setting would work. OK - I got Apex controllers after that and didn't think anything of it. Last week the ISP (xfinity) changed the router - and suddenly, I couldn't connect to Apex. Tested everything. I went into the router - and saw the security setting was back to 'Medium'. I set it to low, and immediately was able to connect with my Apex(es). Antivirus software can also cause connection problems - it the connection blocking settings used.

Regular Vistor
    I was using the default settings on the router from my ISP until I got a NEST thermostat that wouldn't connect. Apparently, Of all security settings on the router - (High, Medium and Low), only the LOW setting would work. OK - I got Apex controllers after that and didn't think anything of it. Last week the ISP (xfinity) changed the router - and suddenly, I couldn't connect to Apex. Tested everything. I went into the router - and saw the security setting was back to 'Medium'. I set it to low, and immediately was able to connect with my Apex(es). Antivirus software can also cause connection problems - it the connection blocking settings used.
    What router are you using and how is your ISP changing settings on your wireless router? I believe the only thing they can access is your DSL or Cable modem.

Frequent Visitor
    It was the router that came with the cable modem. The cable modem was swapped. Either way - if the firewall settings are incorrect, apex will not connect to fusion. Many routers have built in firewall settings.

Regular Vistor
    It was the router that came with the cable modem. The cable modem was swapped. Either way - if the firewall settings are incorrect, apex will not connect to fusion. Many routers have built in firewall settings.
    I may revisit this with the "new" Linksys router but a day and a half in and no disconnects with the older Asus router. Perhaps the security settings on the Linksys router were causing the problem but I would think that if that were the case, the Apex would either connect or not connect and not be intermittent as was the case. I may be wrong as I am certainly no router/online security expert.

New User
    I’m dealing with the same thing. Keeps disconnecting and won’t reconnect with fusion unless I push reset. This is bs!! The money I paid for this it should work better

New User

Couple of Things to Note when troubleshooting network connection.

After a lot of troubleshooting, a few things I found.

1) Your Wifi SSID needs to broadcast. I had setup a VLAN for an IoT network. I didn't broadcast this secondary network SSID and Apex Fusion couldn't log back on. Once I made the IoT VLAN broadcast it's SSID, it worked fine.
    2) If you have multiple local networks broadcasting, you need to be on the same one to do the local logon.
    3) If you changed the name of your Apex, Apex.local doesn't work. It needs to be XXXX.local, where XXXX is your custom Apex Name.

Before you do any Factory Reset to solve network issue, make sure you have a backup of your Apex configuration, which you can only do by locally logging into your Apex. I learned the hard way about resetting. Holding reset for 10 seconds to a BLUE light only resets network settings, holding for 30 seconds to RED will wipe your configuration, historical data, and any notes - all of which are stored only locally, not in the cloud. Factory reset will wipe all that out. Try to figure out network issues by only doing a network reset - 10 second reset press, Blue light.