Thread: 1/4" Flow Sensor To Measure Top Off Water Then Turn On RO/DI Pump For Set Time

New User

1/4" Flow Sensor To Measure Top Off Water Then Turn On RO/DI Pump For Set Time

Hi,

I've just brought a 1/4" flow sensor and was wondering can it be used in this way?
    I want it connected to my water top off pipe to detect the amount of water being used each day. Then once it has detected say 50Ls pass through it turn on my RO/DI unit for a set time.
    This then then keep my RO/DI water tank from running out of water and never over flow as it will know the amount to replace.

Or a work around on this somehow?

I'm happy to experiment if you have some ideas for this :-)

Kind Regards,
    Lewis

NSI Member
    Two problems. It measures flow not volume, and depending on you ATO, the flow may be under the 3gph for the sensor to detect.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by nicholb View Post
    Two problems. It measures flow not volume, and depending on you ATO, the flow may be under the 3gph for the sensor to detect.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk
    This.

The workaround is to use optical sensors or float switches in your reservoir and have it fill from low to high (I would also use a mechanical float as a safety backup to prevent floods if a float fails).

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

Frequent Visitor
    I got two 1/4" flow sensors for my RO hoping to get volume. Hopefully they may add the volume capability, since all the data is there, flow rate x time=volume. (Seems easy enough )
    I currently use two HM Flow monitors, 1 on product water and 1 on waste water to calculate my efficiencies of my RO system and would love to give that duty to the Apex.

Sent from my SM-N915T using Tapatalk