Thread: Probes in a mixing tank

Control Freak In Training

Probes in a mixing tank

I have a 150 gallon vertical tank that uses an Iwaki pump to mix my saltwater. I have a PM2 module, temp probe, and salinity probe that I want to put in the tank to check my water before a water change (or eventually before an automatic water change). My question is on how to keep the probes from banging around. The cords are long enough for the probes to lie in the bottom of the tank no problem, but the tank is about 5' tall and the opening in the top is only an approximate 8" circle so awfully hard to get any structure down there to hold them rigidly. Has anyone in the community done this succesfully that can give me some pointers? Is the salinity probe being 4' underwater a problem?

It can reduce the life of the probe is the cable is underwater. The salt makes the insulation on the outside of the cable connection brittle and more likely to crack. This does not apply to the temperature probe, but does to cond, temp, and orp.

The best way for the probe itself is to use a connector similar to those seen on calcium reactors drilled into the reservoir near the base.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post
    It can reduce the life of the probe is the cable is underwater. The salt makes the insulation on the outside of the cable connection brittle and more likely to crack. This does not apply to the temperature probe, but does to cond, temp, and orp.

The best way for the probe itself is to use a connector similar to those seen on calcium reactors drilled into the reservoir near the base.

exactly the kind of input I was hoping for, I will have a look! Thanks zombie

So strain reliefs with an oring are common for all of the smaller Neptune probes. Has anyone found a source for the larger temperature probe?

The temp probe doesnt have the brittle cable problem. You can just drop it on the bottom of the reservoir.

Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post
    The temp probe doesnt have the brittle cable problem. You can just drop it on the bottom of the reservoir.

good point, if I can't find something that is what I will do