Thread: Apex crashed while I was away

New User

Apex crashed while I was away

So I left for Disneyland with the family on Sunday and on Monday my brother who is looking after the tank called me to tell me all the lights on the tank were flashing on and off like a disco. I made my own large LED fixture and wired it all through the APEX 1-10v controllers. After troubleshooting via phone it appears that the APEX completely wiped itself back to the beginning. It had none of my programming and was completely bare bones again. In order to manage things I had my brother unplug from all the outlets as even their defaults were all gone.

Sadly I had a computer crash a few months ago and lost my APEX backup and didn't think to replace it (dummy me) as I had never heard of this happening. I was not on Fusion.

Can I trust this APEX still? The amount of work to reprogram every channel on my fixture is massive, plus the dosers, and pumps, everything. The unit is 4 years old but how can I trust it anymore? Anyone have ideas why this happened? There were no power outages during the time as I have separate monitoring equipment and a whole home generator and both say power was clean for the entire week.

Suggestions?

You say you weren't on fusion, was the firmware up to date?

I would say roll-up the firmware, re-setup your programming, make a backup and roll with it. Best case everything works fine. Worst case it fails again and you've got a good backup so that if you need/want to replace the base unit the work is minimal.

New User
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin L View Post
    You say you weren't on fusion, was the firmware up to date?

I would say roll-up the firmware, re-setup your programming, make a backup and roll with it. Best case everything works fine. Worst case it fails again and you've got a good backup so that if you need/want to replace the base unit the work is minimal.
    The firmware for all modules was up to date to my knowledge...i check regularly. I had it ready to go with fusion but had not pulled the trigger as I was a little concerned that things would go wrong.

I've begun the slow process of re-programming things. Should I move to fusion and then program? or program and then move up to fusion? Any advice would be great. I'm probably going to start taking things off of the controller if it seems to be flaky. I have a two other tanks and they each use a competitors controller which have been pretty solid. This just has me spooked on my APEX.

I would program with Fusion, then get a solid backup as described above. That means you'll also be able to take advantage of the fusion heartbeat to keep a closer eye in case it gets squirly and starts rebooting/crashing again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Frequent Visitor riverchemistry's Avatar
    I'm sorry to read that. If you manage to get it all as close to what you had it before, yes there is a place to 'download' the programming file as a PDF. You'll log into your APEXFUSION account and at the first APEX LIST click on the square left of the APEX name and click CONFIGURATION SUMMARY. Download this. It's a copy of the programming. I'd suggest doing it after.

New User
    Thanks for the advice. I will see how it goes putting humpty dumpty back together again.

Hey guys, this happened to me 3 times in the last 24 hours!!

The first time happened a month ago. I updated the firmware to the latest version, reloaded my settings (fortunately I saved them all) and everything was fine until yesterday morning. Then happened again, despite the latest firmware installed. I reloaded my settings again, and had to re-link Fusion with a new token.

Fact is, this issue happened two times more this last night (yes, at night!), my wife woke me up at 2 am with the tank flashing like a disco (again!), I re-loaded my saved configurations and fixed it again... and after 30 minutes that happened one more time!! This last time I disconnected all lights, etc. Very bad thing is that besides lights flashing like a disco, I have a planted tank and Co2 started at night as well (!!)... very bad...

Why's that guys? What do I need to do? You mentioned above the fact to "update firmware for the modules as well"... how to do that?

Fact is: I am going to leave for a 4 weeks trip oversea in 2 weeks and I can't trust my Apex right now. I need to find the cause of this problem as soon as possible, so, please, any help is really appreciated!

UPDATE: Today I went on Fusion and it looks like there is a new firmware version for my Apex (4.52J_5A17), just did the firmware update now. Hopefully this will fix the problem? Ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by fablau View Post
    UPDATE: Today I went on Fusion and it looks like there is a new firmware version for my Apex (4.52J_5A17), just did the firmware update now. Hopefully this will fix the problem? Ideas?
    Make sure also that all module are update and are " OK " .
    Alain

Quote Originally Posted by Alain B View Post
    Make sure also that all module are update and are " OK " .
    Thank you Alain, how do I do that?

Never mind, I found the instructions on this thread:

https://forum.neptunesystems.com/sho...-now-available

And it looks like my modules are up to date. Now what? Hoping that the strange issue won't happen again??!

Thanks again.

Hey guys, it crashed again, twice last night. First time at around midnight, second time at around 4:30 am. Very disappointed.

I am going to contact the assistance.

Yep, bummer man. Support is the way to go now. Hopefully it's something they can resolve via a remote session.

Thanks Justin, they got back to me yesterday, but they just asked me to send them the Apex log file. Hopefully they'll get back to me with some more news tomorrow. I'll keep you posted.

@mseepman Did it happen again?

Ok, the problem has not been solved. Support didn't find anything wrong with my system at the moment of their checkup, but suggested to repair the unit. With the fact I was going to leave the country in a few days, I decided to order a completely new Apex to avoid delays and problems, but the problem persisted. Yes, even by replacing the computer! So, at the end the problem MUST rely either on a module, the network connection or the wireless bridge I am using. Has anyone else having this problem using a wireless bridge?

I have solved this problem as explained at the end of the thread below:

https://forum.neptunesystems.com/sho...-resets!/page3

Be aware of your router open ports!!