Thread: Need help programming Varios 8 pump

Frequent Visitor

Need help programming Varios 8 pump

I recently purchased a Reef Octopus Varios 8 pump & the cable to connect it to my apex.

I want to set it up so it goes into a lower flow mode when I select feedA. How would I go about doing this?

I am using the 2016 Apex.
    I've already figured out which of the variable speed ports controls the pump.
    I already have some timer virtual outlets created from when I was using a Tunze 6095.
    I think about 30% should be enough to just get enough flow to the tank without food getting over the overflow

Define a profile to do this.

Name: VarioS_Slow
    Type: Ramp
    Start Intensity: 30
    End Intensity: 30
    Ramp Time: 1

Then reference this profile in the If Feed statement

If FeedA 000 Then VarioS_Slow
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Frequent Visitor
    I created a profile and added the settings you suggested above.

When I put the apex into feed mode the Return pump shows that it is running VarioS_Slow but the pump is still off.

Screen Shot 2017-08-12 at 10.33.45 AM.png

Do I put any programming in the Variable Speed programming area?

Screen Shot 2017-08-12 at 10.31.50 AM.png

Where did you add the If FeedA statement? It should be in the program for the variable output for the pump.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Is the RETURN_PUMP output an EnergyBar outlet? If so, you do not need to waste an EB outlet for the pump power supply. Do all pump control through the variable output. If you do use an EB outlet for the pump power supply, program it simply to be always ON.

Frequent Visitor
    I have it plugged into an Energy Bar 8 slot. I have a few extra so it's not an issue for now.

I have it set to
    Fallback ON
    Set ON

In the Variable Output for the pump I have the below code.

Fallback ON
    Set ON
    If FeedD 000 Then OFF

Frequent Visitor
    This seems to be working.

I have a couple of fine tuning questions.

Since the controller on the Varios 8 controller only offers 5 speed settings - you can only bump by 20% each time. Can I create a VarioS_Fast profile and fine tune my speed settings then?
    So my code in the Variable output would be

Set VarioS_Fast
    If FeedD 000 Then OFF

Then, if I want to place the pump in feed mode at 1pm everyday. What code in the variable speed output would I use?
    And how can I program my skimmer to turn off whenever VarioS_Slow is running?

Thanks for all the help so far.

Yes, that programming should work just fine.

Under Apex control, you have much more granularity in speed control than with the VarioS control unit; you can control that pump in increments of 1%

Feed cycles (FeedA - FeedD) cannot be activated by programming - they are manually activated. Instead, you can use an If Time statement to use the VarioS_Slow profile:

Set VarioS_Fast
    If Time 13:00 to 13:14 Then VarioS_Slow
    If FeedD 000 Then OFF

In the skimmer outlet, add 2 lines like this:

If Output Pump_Speed = OFF Then OFF
    Defer 003:00 Then ON

The Defer delays the skimmer from turning on by 3 minutes to allow time for the sump water level to normalize after the return pump comes back on

New User
    i tried this programming to to ramp down the pump to 30 percent when i feed mode i get an error when i try and save it also i need a profile to ramp back up after feed mode please help

Quote Originally Posted by xxjarockx View Post
    i tried this programming to to ramp down the pump to 30 percent when i feed mode i get an error when i try and save it also i need a profile to ramp back up after feed mode please help
    Varios_Fast is the ramp up. You need to name the profiles and define the profiles first. You can't just copy and paste what is there.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

New User
    if i give you access can you help program