Thread: Why does the syphon break need the water returning into the ATO

Why does the syphon break need the water returning into the ATO

I followed direction placed the Syphon break at the top of my water reservoir but why does it have I guess you would call it a release hole?
    its is so noisy and obviously the lower the water gets in the reservoir the louder the spray gets. You can put it under the water obviously because it defeats the purpose but water spraying all over is loud
    it also seems to release more water back into the reservoir than it does pumping it into the sump

Quote Originally Posted by bescher View Post
    I followed direction placed the Syphon break at the top of my water reservoir but why does it have I guess you would call it a release hole?
    its is so noisy and obviously the lower the water gets in the reservoir the louder the spray gets. You can put it under the water obviously because it defeats the purpose but water spraying all over is loud
    it also seems to release more water back into the reservoir than it does pumping it into the sump
    Putting it under water in your ATO will not let air into the line when the PMUP shuts off. It will cause a siphon until your ATO and Sump are at the same water level or until air is allowed into that tiny hole. If the water shooting back into the ATO container is too loud or annoying try to find a lower location for the ATO container. If the container is already lower or at the same level as your sump you don't need to siphon break fitting at all.

Quote Originally Posted by eschulist View Post
    Putting it under water in your ATO will not let air into the line when the PMUP shuts off. It will cause a siphon until your ATO and Sump are at the same water level or until air is allowed into that tiny hole. If the water shooting back into the ATO container is too loud or annoying try to find a lower location for the ATO container. If the container is already lower or at the same level as your sump you don't need to siphon break fitting at all.
    i know that and I'll have see how I can lower that reservoir lower

New User
    aim said "release hole" at the wall of the reservoir. It will trickle down the wall silently.