Thread: Been having air bubble problems for days

New User

Been having air bubble problems for days

Hey guys, So Im really struggling with getting my DOS consistantly putting out the same amounts. Usually the Calcium side is pretty on point, but the alk side works the first night then the second day there's big gaps of air and nothing comes out for a while. I keep trying to reconnnect the tubing and make sure it's good and there's no air bubbles in from the start and each time it fails. Any tips???

Snip the end of the line square and make sure it's pressed all the way to the end of the barbs (its not easy to get it on far enough. Lots of twisting and cursing involved).

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

Frequent Visitor
    Are you using the DDR ??
    I have the DDR and have been suffering with this same issue on pump one with my Alk solution.
    Air building up in the lines over night and eventually causing large gaps of air that mess with the amount dosed to the tank at times.
    Very frustrating for sure.
    I have searched high and low for a cause with nothing fixing this issue. My tubes were all the way up onto the dose heads and screwed so tight that the plastic may break.
    No cracks in the plastic head, No splits or holes in the new tubes from Neptune and even installed check valves on the end of the lines, all with NO FIX, still getting air.

After getting super fed up and getting No answers or support I gave one last attempt to find the source of air getting into the lines. Pump two gets some but just small air pockets and isnt much of a concern but is annoying being I crapped out 500 bucks for a head ache.
    Needing to refill my DDR on both sides I proceeded to fill the containers and after both were filled I decided to remove the line for pump one at the DDR fitting and cut the line again with tubing cutters and shove that sucker in as far as it will go just to rule this out YET AGAIN.
    After doing this and purging all the air out I took a seat in front of the stand and had a flash light on the lines looking intensely for air bubbles.
    I noticed the smallest little bubble come up from the DDR fitting and up the tube it went. Then a while later another one.
    I lightly tapped on the line from the DDR to the DOS and guess what a few more micro bubbles came up the tube.
    Did the same to the pump 2 side and the same thing happened So I installed the blue lock rings onto the fittings to keep the fitting tight hoping for a fix. NOPE it still is purging micro bubble here and there up the tubes to collect into large air gaps in the lines over time.
    There is Zero air bubbles in the DDR stuck to the sides, in the solution OR in the pick up tubes on the bottom of the jon guest fittings.

What I think is that the pick up tubes under the fittings are not sealed or sealed correctly and are allowing air to enter at small amounts.
    I have not drained the solutions and removed the DDR to get a better look at how this is installed or if I can remove them / replace them or reseal them the right way since I have found the source of my leak.
    So if you are using the ''well built'' DDR do your self a huge solid and wiggle the lines, bump them or just watch for micro bubbles coming up from the pick up tubes. You may have the same issue I am having and need to figure out a fix.
    Ridiculous to have such an issue with new costly equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by BluewaterLa View Post
    Are you using the DDR ??
    I have the DDR and have been suffering with this same issue on pump one with my Alk solution.
    Air building up in the lines over night and eventually causing large gaps of air that mess with the amount dosed to the tank at times.
    Very frustrating for sure.
    I have searched high and low for a cause with nothing fixing this issue. My tubes were all the way up onto the dose heads and screwed so tight that the plastic may break.
    No cracks in the plastic head, No splits or holes in the new tubes from Neptune and even installed check valves on the end of the lines, all with NO FIX, still getting air.

After getting super fed up and getting No answers or support I gave one last attempt to find the source of air getting into the lines. Pump two gets some but just small air pockets and isnt much of a concern but is annoying being I crapped out 500 bucks for a head ache.
    Needing to refill my DDR on both sides I proceeded to fill the containers and after both were filled I decided to remove the line for pump one at the DDR fitting and cut the line again with tubing cutters and shove that sucker in as far as it will go just to rule this out YET AGAIN.
    After doing this and purging all the air out I took a seat in front of the stand and had a flash light on the lines looking intensely for air bubbles.
    I noticed the smallest little bubble come up from the DDR fitting and up the tube it went. Then a while later another one.
    I lightly tapped on the line from the DDR to the DOS and guess what a few more micro bubbles came up the tube.
    Did the same to the pump 2 side and the same thing happened So I installed the blue lock rings onto the fittings to keep the fitting tight hoping for a fix. NOPE it still is purging micro bubble here and there up the tubes to collect into large air gaps in the lines over time.
    There is Zero air bubbles in the DDR stuck to the sides, in the solution OR in the pick up tubes on the bottom of the jon guest fittings.

What I think is that the pick up tubes under the fittings are not sealed or sealed correctly and are allowing air to enter at small amounts.
    I have not drained the solutions and removed the DDR to get a better look at how this is installed or if I can remove them / replace them or reseal them the right way since I have found the source of my leak.
    So if you are using the ''well built'' DDR do your self a huge solid and wiggle the lines, bump them or just watch for micro bubbles coming up from the pick up tubes. You may have the same issue I am having and need to figure out a fix.
    Ridiculous to have such an issue with new costly equipment.
    Sounds like a bad o ring inside the fitting. Send an email to support and they'll probably ship you a new one. Might be the case for the OP as well.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

New User
    Yes, I am using the DDR as well. This has been super frustrating but the NEPTUNE people are very helpful. I think we are trying a couple things and then if that doesnt work theyll send me out a new unit. I cant wait to lock this in and have confidence in it while I travel...

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Schmitty View Post
    Yes, I am using the DDR as well. This has been super frustrating but the NEPTUNE people are very helpful. I think we are trying a couple things and then if that doesnt work theyll send me out a new unit. I cant wait to lock this in and have confidence in it while I travel...
    Wow so they do contact folks back... hmm must only be the ones they want.
    I have opened a ticket only to sit idle and nothing happen. Had the vendor call in to his Neptune rep to be told that they contacted me and the issue was resolved in their computer.
    I've given up on Neptune support for anything.

Frequent Visitor
    Wow so they do contact folks back... hmm must only be the ones they want.
    I have opened a ticket only to sit idle and nothing happen. Had the vendor call in to his Neptune rep to be told that they contacted me and the issue was resolved in their computer.
    I've given up on Neptune support for anything.
    Wanted to update this and retract my comments on Neptune support seeming to ignore my request for help.
    My ticket was opened up over the phone while communicating with support tech. Information was entered wrong misspelling my last name and email address.
    Moral of this story after a good discussion with Jon M. he explained that this issue can be resolved by filling out the support ticket one's self so that nothing can be misunderstood or entered wrong.
    I for one will stand by my words and convictions though I will also admit my faults or quick judgments when things come to light.

Again thanks to Jon M. for reaching out to a frustrated old fart via Pm and finally email then phone conversation to get some matters hopefully resolved.

As I've mentioned elsewhere, for me, it was the guest fittings themselves. I put removable clear silicone caulk all over them more than a month ago, and no more bubbles proximally in the tubing. I will freely admit it's just a hunch, but I don't think these fittings were designed to be airtight under suction and that they may at times allow inward leakage of small amounts of air, especially when a pump activates.

The barb/nut connections on the DOSers are another matter and the more likely source of air bubbles suddenly appearing in the lines distally. If those were also fine and I were still getting mysterious bubbles, I'd probably try replacing the DOSing head assembly next.

PS this caulk: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1