Thread: Raspberry Pi integration

New User

Raspberry Pi integration

Hi all,

I have been pondering how to enhance the storm mode of my Apex which is running my Vortechs and Radions. I would like to have random storms and associated sound effects to play at the same time.

It struck me that I could use a Raspberry Pi to run a storm triggering program that could interact with the break out box and tell the Apex when to invoke storm mode for the lights and pumps while also playing sound effects through attached speakers.

I was wondering if anyone else has tried to do this sort of thing and what happened when they did.

Thanks!

You cannot directly connect the outputs of a RPi (or Arduino) to the Apex switch inputs via BoB. You’d have to control small relays with the other processor and use those relays to switch the BoB inputs open and closed.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

New User
    Thanks Russ, I was planning to use a PiFace board which has relays already attached. It also has buttons already installed which I could use for manual override

Frequent Visitor
    Sounds neat!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Following.. As I have an extra pi that I am not using. I had thought about attempting to integrate into the system somehow, but hadn't really gotten it together.. But very interesting indeed.. I look forward to your progress..

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

New User
    following

I have a pi that is controlling other monitors and would like to see how I can feed the data to apex. anyone might be able to help? The log would include a value like "7.59" and probably a time stamp.

Quote Originally Posted by JEKK View Post

I have a pi that is controlling other monitors and would like to see how I can feed the data to apex. anyone might be able to help? The log would include a value like "7.59" and probably a time stamp.
    There is no API for doing that.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by JEKK View Post
    following

You can't feed variables. As Russ stated there is no API. What you can do though is if there is a threshold that you want things to react to, you can program the pi to close a relay contact and have the apex respond based on the switch input.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

New User
    Is it possible to read APEX values to add to an external system? Trying to build a local consolidated logger and it would be nice to get the readings to an external DB.

Quote Originally Posted by EwertonMoreira View Post
    Is it possible to read APEX values to add to an external system? Trying to build a local consolidated logger and it would be nice to get the readings to an external DB.
    Yes. You can use the xml data and pull the data into your logger on a daily basis using Xpath or Xquery. I was able to get Xpath working in Google docs, but the calculation time was too long and it could only go back a few hours. A full days data would crash. With a dedicated system without the calculation time limits, querying data daily should be no problem. The URL paths for XML data are described in the 2014 users manual.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

New User
    Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post
    Yes. You can use the xml data and pull the data into your logger on a daily basis using Xpath or Xquery. I was able to get Xpath working in Google docs, but the calculation time was too long and it could only go back a few hours. A full days data would crash. With a dedicated system without the calculation time limits, querying data daily should be no problem. The URL paths for XML data are described in the 2014 users manual.

Cool, thanks for the feedback. I will take a look at the manual. Meanwhile, just a question: are the values real-time values or historical data?

Thanks
    Ewerton

Quote Originally Posted by EwertonMoreira View Post
    Cool, thanks for the feedback. I will take a look at the manual. Meanwhile, just a question: are the values real-time values or historical data?

Thanks
    Ewerton
    XML is historical. There was some way to get real time data directly from the fusion page that I saw in some thread about making Google home work with it, but I never tried it myself and am not versed in website coding. It may or may not be of benefit to you.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/gu...e-home.319864/

XML data is not just historical. There are multiple XML outputs - two of them, one in XML and the other in RSS format, give real-time status. You can also pull current output programming in XML format.

New User
    Great!! Will take a look and see what I can do.

Thanks
    Ewerton