Thread: New Owner and getting very frustrated trying to get my wav pumps working

Frequent Visitor

New Owner and getting very frustrated trying to get my wav pumps working

First off, does the wav pump have to be submerged to work? I was planning to use a wav pump to mix up my first batch of saltwater for my brand new tank while I waited on my other pump to arrive in the mail. But I can't get the wav pumps to work and its extremely frustrating, All they will do is pulse. I've read, reread and tried numerous forums, youtube and google with no luck. Can you guys help me? Glad to find this forum because I'm gonna need it as I set up my Apex.

I have a brand new RedSea Reefer XL 425 system, 115 gallons total with a Reef Octopus 150 Regal Skimmer and a various 6 return pump.

The wav has to be submerged or it will overheat and (hopefully) detect the issue and shut down completely. I would not rely on this safety feature on its own and take some steps to ensure it's always submerged when on.

As far as getting it do do what you want, you have to explain what that is first.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

Frequent Visitor
    I went to the settings and set it to run constant at 75% for 24 hours. But then again, it was out of water. So if its smart enough to detect that and immediately shut off, thats my problem. Maybe I didn't give it enough credit.

Frequent Visitor
    just submerged it and it took off like a rocket!

That's likely the problem. I would put it at the base of your mixing tank and I would also suggest the mavericks mode rather than constant. It's basically constant with random surges and pauses that will help add some turbulence for better mixing.

Frequent Visitor
    When you set it to a different mode like mavericks, should I see a change in the graph to indicate when it will surge, etc? And what about the Flo window on my dashboard? I can't get that to appear so I can drag it down to the dashboard for a quick look and adjustment.

The surges happen fast enough that the dashboard doesn't update enough to show them. The FLO tile is also an average so it won't show the surges either. If you don't see the FLO tile on the dashboard, check the unused tile bin (hit unlock and look in the box that pops up)

Frequent Visitor
    I'm familiar with the unused tile bin. I have been unlocking the dashboard but nothing is appearing in the box the that pops up. According to everything I've been reading, it should appear in that box and I sghiould be able to drag it onto the dashboard.

Frequent Contributor iamchadster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RussC View Post
    When you set it to a different mode like mavericks, should I see a change in the graph to indicate when it will surge, etc? And what about the Flo window on my dashboard? I can't get that to appear so I can drag it down to the dashboard for a quick look and adjustment.
    FLO will only show in Apex Fusion, it will not show in Apex Local just in case that is where you were looking.
    Chad

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by iamchadster View Post
    FLO will only show in Apex Fusion, it will not show in Apex Local just in case that is where you were looking.
    I'm not sure what you mean between 'apex local' and 'apex fusion.' Would you take a minute to explain the difference?

By Apex Fusion he means --> https://apexfusion.com/
    By Apex local he means using your browser to directly access you Apex.

If you have not set up a Fusion account (it's free) you should. It will give you access to your Apex from anywhere you have interweb access. It does not require opening any ports on your router/firewall.