Thread: Too much for 75G tank?

New User

Too much for 75G tank?

New to these forums and have learned a lot from lurking and reading. I'm about to start a 75G reef build. It will be a mixed reef, but primarily LPS with just a few SPS.

I've never used an Apex before, but was planning on installing one in this tank. I was going to buy the package that includes 2 WAV pumps, but I'm concerned that even after dialing them down they may give too much flow. If I don't use WAVs, I will probably go with a couple MP10s, but I'd prefer to try the WAVs (I wish they had come out with smaller models or an impeller solution). What's the current consensus on whether these will be appropriate for a 75G?

Frequent Visitor
    My tank is a Red Sea Reefer 250 (54 Gallon DT) mixed reef. I have 1 WAV running at 1-2% and all the fish and corals are very happy. It is on the back wall pointing towards the front and there are no issues. On a 75 you will be running them at the low end of the power scale.

They won't be too powerful if you dial them down. Anything above about 30 gallons is good for the WAVs.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

New User
    Thanks for the replies. I appreciate the feedback.

I have a 90 gal mixed reef with 6 fish and a clam. I run 2 wavs. Both are mounted about 1/4 of the way down from the top of the tank on the back wall about 6" from the side. Everything in the tank is happy. Here is a my programming.
    wav1.jpg

New User
    Thanks bigjim. Very helpful.

New User
    Quote Originally Posted by bigjim View Post
    I have a 90 gal mixed reef with 6 fish and a clam. I run 2 wavs. Both are mounted about 1/4 of the way down from the top of the tank on the back wall about 6" from the side. Everything in the tank is happy. Here is a my programming.
    wav1.jpg
    How do you run yours wavs this high? I can’t get mine over 10% in a reefer 350

Quote Originally Posted by Robbatten467 View Post
    How do you run yours wavs this high? I can’t get mine over 10% in a reefer 350
    Did you mount them high and angle them so the flow hits an obstacle or bounces off glass? That often helps you get the percentage higher and more turbulence without overdoing the flow.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

Bounces off the front glass.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

New User
    Hi.

I have a rsm250 and even at 1% it blows everything away.

Can you share your placement and configs?

Quote Originally Posted by jamesreich View Post
    My tank is a Red Sea Reefer 250 (54 Gallon DT) mixed reef. I have 1 WAV running at 1-2% and all the fish and corals are very happy. It is on the back wall pointing towards the front and there are no issues. On a 75 you will be running them at the low end of the power scale.

Frequent Visitor
    I originally had it running 1-2% but at 2% it was too much so it runs a steady 1%. I have it on the right back wall pointing directly forward about an inch from the top and about four inches from the side.

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by lobelto13 View Post
    Hi.

I have a rsm250 and even at 1% it blows everything away.

Can you share your placement and configs?
    I have a 350 and at 1% the WAVs blow sand everywhere and the fish go into hiding - I obviously need to experiment with the placement and aim - am contemplating only 1 WAV running at any one time - or in opposition or reverting to my Eco Drifts until I upgrade to a larger tank.

Any advice gratefully received

Regular Vistor
    Wasted over an hour fiddling about with them ... way over powered for a 275l tank ... if there is no way to halve the power will send them back

Frequent Visitor
    So now two years later after my original post I realized that yes my fish and corals were surviving but not really happy. I read an article about too much flow and it got me thinking. I then took my wav out and dialed up the COR 20 to 28% and observed the corals and fish. Growth exploded on most of the corals and the fish did not mind. I have several zoas, a frogspawn, a hammer, a gold torch, a few mushrooms, xenias, and GSP. My wav is now sitting in its box after cleaning and may be used in my NSW tank or wait for a much bigger tank.