Thread: Apex Fusion Questions for Apex 2016

Frequent Visitor

Apex Fusion Questions for Apex 2016

I've read a lot. There are many articles. But they all seem to reference the apex classic and setting up fusion for that unit. I have a apex 2016. It says Im already connected for fusion. But when I access www.apexfusion.com I get only my probe readings. I can't see anything else. But when I access the app on my phone it looks like the apex local website. What am I missing here? What is this token code it talks about?

Frequent Contributor
    It sounds like you are on the Apex List page, if you click on the the name of the Apex or on the probe data it will then take you to that Apex Dashboard.

The Link Token is if you wanted to add a different Apex system to your Fusion account that you are an owner of.
    Jon

Frequent Visitor
    I must have clicked the right button. Because just like that, it appeared! I have my tiles I was looking for. I seem to have the plugs labeled for the equipment I want each to run. Now I just need to program the plugs. Where can I find programs?

Frequent Visitor
    The instructions are written (no offense) as if a computer science major wrote them. The new 'tour' feature that was put in is outstanding - and a big help. But for the 'average person' out there that just wants a product that works there is scant help except opening a support ticket. In that case - why have a forum - because most of the suggestions/comments here are guesses rather than actual researched solutions to problems. The things that work to solve problems should be put in a troubleshooting guide by Neptune. Having to read through 100's of different possible solutions seems silly for a company positioning itself as managing equipment costing (thousands) and livestock costing multiple times more than that. it is frustrating as an owner who likes the product.

Quote Originally Posted by mnmnmn View Post
    In that case - why have a forum - because most of the suggestions/comments here are guesses rather than actual researched solutions to problems.
    I actually take a bit of offense to that. There are a lot of people on these forums that have spent thousands of hours learning the ins and outs of the apex system and can come up with answers support is not capable of nor obliged to do so. We simply lack the diagnostic tools that support does.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

Frequent Visitor
    Im not sure why you took offense. I agree with you that people here 'do their best' to help. At the same time what I posted was true. Especially in the context of the original post above which stated most of the formal documentation relates to the older Apex not the 2016. In case you haven't done it lately, start at the Neptune systems support menu on the webpage, read 'read this first' section - and the look at the documentation. Pretend you are a new buyer of the product. Where is the 'Apex 2016 Manual'? There are a lot of quick start guides - but very little on 'what to do if I have a problem a month after installation'.

My comment was directed at Neptune the Company not the posters here. It is exactly BECAUSE of the poor documentation from the company that the posts here are 'guesses', i.e there is no place to research because the documentation is substandard. As the forum becomes larger with more and more problems and solutions posted, Searching this forum becomes and has become even more difficult to find an answer to a simple question simply because of the volume of posts.

Thus - my comment - someone at Neptune should take several days, determine the most common problems users have and write a troubleshooting guide with common researched solutions. Some examples: What to do if Apex doesn't restart after a power outage, What if Apex drops connection, How to manually change an IP address on your apex, how to change apex passwords, What the Apex Lights and EB lights mean and what to do about them if they are not correct, etc etc. In a central location (perhaps on the support documentation page). Before someone responds that Neptune doesn't read these boards religiously, I have already suggested this to support months ago and I complemented them on the new features on Fusion.

Frequent Visitor
    [QUOTE=zombie;126633]I actually take a bit of offense to that. There are a lot of people on these forums that have spent thousands of hours learning the ins and outs of the apex system and can come up with answers support is not capable of nor obliged to do so. We simply lack the diagnostic tools that support does.

I'm curious, what are the answers that support is 'not capable or obliged' to come up with. Besides problems within someone's home network that may be impossible to fully support, I can't think of many others. Neptune is selling a product, if they want to continue to have customers, they are obliged to support it. Even the known problems with home-networking could;/should be in a troubleshooting guide.

[QUOTE=mnmnmn;126732]
    Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post
    I actually take a bit of offense to that. There are a lot of people on these forums that have spent thousands of hours learning the ins and outs of the apex system and can come up with answers support is not capable of nor obliged to do so. We simply lack the diagnostic tools that support does.

I'm curious, what are the answers that support is 'not capable or obliged' to come up with. Besides problems within someone's home network that may be impossible to fully support, I can't think of many others. Neptune is selling a product, if they want to continue to have customers, they are obliged to support it. Even the known problems with home-networking could;/should be in a troubleshooting guide.
    The main example is coding help beyond simple tasks and basic code. Support will often help even though they aren't required to, but the more advanced things (such as when I helped a biology company to do a very complex process control for an algae experiment) is something you can only find answers to on the forums.

Quote Originally Posted by mnmnmn View Post
    Im not sure why you took offense. I agree with you that people here 'do their best' to help. At the same time what I posted was true. Especially in the context of the original post above which stated most of the formal documentation relates to the older Apex not the 2016. In case you haven't done it lately, start at the Neptune systems support menu on the webpage, read 'read this first' section - and the look at the documentation. Pretend you are a new buyer of the product. Where is the 'Apex 2016 Manual'? There are a lot of quick start guides - but very little on 'what to do if I have a problem a month after installation'.

My comment was directed at Neptune the Company not the posters here. It is exactly BECAUSE of the poor documentation from the company that the posts here are 'guesses', i.e there is no place to research because the documentation is substandard. As the forum becomes larger with more and more problems and solutions posted, Searching this forum becomes and has become even more difficult to find an answer to a simple question simply because of the volume of posts.

Thus - my comment - someone at Neptune should take several days, determine the most common problems users have and write a troubleshooting guide with common researched solutions. Some examples: What to do if Apex doesn't restart after a power outage, What if Apex drops connection, How to manually change an IP address on your apex, how to change apex passwords, What the Apex Lights and EB lights mean and what to do about them if they are not correct, etc etc. In a central location (perhaps on the support documentation page). Before someone responds that Neptune doesn't read these boards religiously, I have already suggested this to support months ago and I complemented them on the new features on Fusion.
    I do agree on the documentation part. There really should be a CRM either specifically for the 2016 apex or updated to show both. The documentation has gotten worse over the years not better for anything more complex than the basic task setup.

It could be there is no real need for Neptune to provide such documentation since the forums do it for them. I know I come here rather than open a support ticket when I have a problem or question. If I can't get it resolved here I ask the Apex expert at my LFS.

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by bigjim View Post
    It could be there is no real need for Neptune to provide such documentation since the forums do it for them. I know I come here rather than open a support ticket when I have a problem or question. If I can't get it resolved here I ask the Apex expert at my LFS.
    Its nothing against the forums.

1. There is no apex expert at our LFS
    2. Wait until you have a 'real problem' that needs to solved quickly and its a Saturday. You may feel differently about the need for improved documentation that is readily available.
    3. The forums are great for programming questions, and some other types of questions. IMHO - the company's documentation is poor. As the number of posts/responses increases over time - and the number of versions of products increase. Finding answers in the forums will become even more difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by bigjim View Post
    That I dont agree with. They need documentation for people like me that can explain any answer IF I have a good manual to reference. The new modules and the 2016 have been a royal PITA to learn without owning one and I have basically learned from getting corrected by Russ.