Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Pre-MACNA teaser...

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben549 View Post
    Me too! Me too! Seriously, this is a no brainer.

Only downside I can think of would be making this wall mountable. Although that will be easy, I'll just 3D print one.
    No. Stop. There's one opening and I took it. I'll be happy to inform you if another pops up. However, until then, get back in line. Sure is nice in here. Reeeeallllll nice....

New User
    Quote Originally Posted by jonlovisolo View Post
    No. Stop. There's one opening and I took it. I'll be happy to inform you if another pops up. However, until then, get back in line. Sure is nice in here. Reeeeallllll nice....
    I am getting in line! Right after you

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by bigjim View Post
    If it doesn't work with the classic then they don't get my $. I'm not replacing a perfectly good controller just for one module.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Yeah, this WAS great news for about 3 minutes while I was watching the Mr Saltwater video, but as soon as they say its not going to work on the classic and I need to upgrade...well, honestly I am upset. I'd pull the trigger on the Trident for $550, no problem. In fact, take my money now as a pre-order, but this news makes it over a $1400 deal for me. Writing is on the wall...I own a VHS system.

The ONLY way this can be justified is if Classic owners are given a nice fat discount on the 2016 or they do some kind of 0% 18 month financing. I doubt either will happen.

Frequent Visitor LobsterOfJustice's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chewdoggie View Post
    Yeah, this WAS great news for about 3 minutes while I was watching the Mr Saltwater video, but as soon as they say its not going to work on the classic and I need to upgrade...well, honestly I am upset. I'd pull the trigger on the Trident for $550, no problem. In fact, take my money now as a pre-order, but this news makes it over a $1400 deal for me. Writing is on the wall...I own a VHS system.

The ONLY way this can be justified is if Classic owners are given a nice fat discount on the 2016 or they do some kind of 0% 18 month financing. I doubt either will happen.
    I don't need a discount or financing... just offer me the opportunity to pay full retail price for just the new head unit without the EB832 and probes. That will keep the package under $1k keeping it the cheapest option in the market and once you get the 2016 in my hands, I'll eventually swap out by EB8s for EB832s anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    180g reef with all the bells and whistles

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by LobsterOfJustice View Post
    I don't need a discount or financing... just offer me the opportunity to pay full retail price for just the new head unit without the EB832 and probes. That will keep the package under $1k keeping it the cheapest option in the market and once you get the 2016 in my hands, I'll eventually swap out by EB8s for EB832s anyway.

that wouldn't work since there are no 1link ports on the 2016 head unit and trident communicates with the apex via 1link. you need to buy trident, the 2016 head unit and the $150 1link module (or the $250 EB832)

Quote Originally Posted by Ikserk View Post
    that wouldn't work since there are no 1link ports on the 2016 head unit and trident communicates with the apex via 1link. you need to buy trident, the 2016 head unit and the $150 1link module (or the $250 EB832)
    A lot of us classic owners have wavs or pmups with the 1link so all we would need is the head unit. I'll pay a couple of hundred for a 2016 head unit but that's it. Otherwise no more apex stuff if it's 2016 only. SWMBO says no to a full 2016 package.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Russ just said it could be connected with either 1link or the standard power supply and aquabus. Id prefer the 1link setup myself. This is going to make classic users further wonder why its not backwards compatible. But like almost all new technology at some point you have to move on and just support the latest release of products.

If you think about it the 2016 apex would have alot more Ram (memory) and processing capability compared to the classic. some products could have more "brains" in the module but then that would drive up the price.. letting the apex do all the thinking save on production costs ..however that extra code/memory is likely to much for the classic! SO its understandable.

I'm super stoked for Trident! and hope i can get into the NSI for this round.. if so ill be all over upgrading to make it work. This will be an awesome product!

Frequent Visitor
    and for us Canadians to even upgrade the 2016 model is just under $1100, the Trident will be prob $1000 $2200 I can not see this happening as by the time I can do they have something new and I will waste money again I will not touch this I will no longer be adding anything else to my Apex system

The smart thing to do is a Classic upgrade option (Brain, and any EB8's for a decent credit and get more people on 2016, they would sell WAY more Tridents this way. or just a BraIN upgrade

Frequent Visitor
    That's huge... Although now I am going to need to dig up a ton of RC threads that say why it could not be done. Man I already have a great video idea for this new product...

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post
    Ron Funches Module. It's used to crack stoner jokes at all your fish.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.
    If it was this I would buy 10 of them... at least one for every room.

Quote Originally Posted by Chewdoggie View Post

I completely agree with this. Neptune Systems needs to come up with some sort of upgrade path for those who have heavily invested in the Apex Classic. I've invested probably a couple thousand dollars in my current Apex system. I know that most of it will work with the 2016 Apex, but I don't need all the probes that come with the new model and there is pretty much no way I can justify spending $800 on a new Apex to my wife, so that I can turn around and drop another $500-600 on the Trident.

I think they should come up with some sort of discount program for long time users, or a trade in program or something. It seems like I see new controllers and monitors popping up all the time, at some point it is going to be hard for Classic users to stay loyal to the brand.

Control Freak In Training
    So maybe I am just being dense but was the module in the original post a piece of the trident system? What did the initials really stand for?

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Muttley000 View Post
    So maybe I am just being dense but was the module in the original post a piece of the trident system? What did the initials really stand for?
    Russ' Fake Module

Twas a joke

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Control Freak In Training
    Russ' Fake Module

Twas a joke

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
    Lol, got me!

Hahahaha nice Russ

Frequent Contributor iamchadster's Avatar
    So wait, the RFM isn't real? No way. I already pre-ordered it in BRS.
    Chad

New User

Why Trident over Mindstream?

Quote Originally Posted by RussM View Post
    So, I had an empty spot on my Apex board. Didn’t like looking at that vacant space.

RFM is: (take your pick!)

Russ’ Fake Module
    Russ’ Fakeout for MACNA
    Russ’s Filler Module
    Russ having Fun for MACNA

Before a FMM was there, there was a “TBD” module.

The REAL big news is the Trident... automated testing of the Big Three - Alk/Ca/Mg, with full Apex integration of course. Look for more info soon.
    Russ - So why should someone choose Trident over a Mindstream? The Mindstream will test up to 10 parameters (including the Trident three) and will be less than $900. If I'm a classic user, I need to come out of pocket for the cost of a new Apex system and the Trident. Seems cost prohibitive, given all the other costs associated with this hobby.

Russ. Big questions! In order to get picked for the NSI. Do I have to re-apply or will I already have a chance of being selected?

Secondly. Do I have to have a 2016 to be picked? I have a classic currently and am debating getting a 2016. If I was in the NSI I would for sure make the plunge but if now I'll prob upgrade eventually. Back and forth!

What is RFM is Russ' Fabulous Module - top secrets Neptune awesomeness?! I knew it! :P

Terence posted elsewhere that a call for new NSI members will happen in the not too distant future. There will also have to be some way for current NSI members to refresh their controller, tank, and other info. There will undoubtedly be some sort of announcement when the time comes, so watch for that. Typically, such things are posted here, on R2R, and on Facebook.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

This thread has served it's purpose - to have a little fun before MACNA'17, and I'm going to close it. Terence posted a FAQ about the Trident here: https://forum.neptunesystems.com/sho...38-Trident-FAQ I encourage everyone to post your questions and comments about the Trident in that thread.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123