Thread: 832 power warnings

Regular Vistor

832 power warnings

I was wondering if i could setup a power warning for my return pump... it does turn off for my autofeeder so with a 15 min delay would be best...

Frequent Contributor iamchadster's Avatar
    Go into the "inputs" screen, looks like a little thermometer and select the value on the device you would like, watts/amps etc and set a trigger value for that input for an alarm. There are the predetermined values and in the advance section you can set your own values.
    Chad

Regular Vistor
    So will it ignore the alarm when the outlet is commanded off by the feeder?

Regular Vistor
    So when I test it, it doesn't alarm when it's commanded off but my pump had a slow ramp up feature and it is sending an alarm when it's commanded on because the voltage isn't high enough... so is there anyway to set a voltage alarm with a 15 min delay?

This is the correct way to alarm for motor health.

Set X to 75% of normal watts draw. Set Y to 150% of normal amps draw. For things that aren't motors you can just add watts statements directly in the email, but the virtual outlet is needed on pumps and motors to filter out starting current and loading transients.

PumpFail (virtual outlet)

Set OFF

If Outletname watts < X Then ON

If Outletname amps > Y Then ON

If Outlet Outletname = OFF Then OFF

Defer 000:10 Then ON

Email
    (Existing code)
    If Outlet PumpFail = ON Then ON

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

Regular Vistor
    Thanks zombie

Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post
    This is the correct way to alarm for motor health.

Set X to 75% of normal watts draw. Set Y to 150% of normal amps draw. For things that aren't motors you can just add watts statements directly in the email, but the virtual outlet is needed on pumps and motors to filter out starting current and loading transients.

PumpFail (virtual outlet)

Set OFF

If Outletname watts < X Then ON

If Outletname amps > Y Then ON

If Outlet Outlet name = OFF Then OFF

Defer 000:10 Then ON

Email
    (Existing code)
    If Outlet PumpFail = ON Then ON
    It is not the correct or optimal way; the use of a virtual outlet here is of no benefit and is an unnecessary complexity, nor should input alarm statements be added manually into the email output (except in less-common instances). The proper way to do this is to use alarm triggers configured on the Inputs page in either Apex Local or Apex Fusion. Using that Inputs page, select the Watts input corresponding to the desired EB832 output; the Watts input is the outlet name with a "W" appended. For example, if your EB832 outlet for your return pump is named "MainPump", then the corresponding watts input will have a name of "MainPumpW". Then choose Advanced and set the low and high triggers as needed. The Apex (2016) Input alarm triggers have 10 seconds of delay/hysteresis built-in, so the Defer in the suggested VO merely duplicates that, and therefore offers no added benefit. This example of using a VO is also counterproductive in that it combines two different alarm conditions which will only result in a notification that the VO is on, but does not tell the Apex user what the actual specific alarm condition is, forcing the user to go to Fusion and figuring it out for him/herself.

It is also unnecessary to suppress the VO from activating with the If Outlet Outletname = OFF Then OFF statement. This is straight from the Apex (2016) Get Started guide: (I've highlighted a few key phrases here)

************************************************** ************************************************** *************************************************
    Alarms for Amps and Watts values for each individual 120VAC EB832 output should be configured using the new method via the Inputs page in APEX Local or APEX Fusion. However, should you want to use Amps and Watts values in other output programming, there are new programming commands to support this.

Syntax: If Output output-name (Amps/Watts) (</>) Then (ON/OFF)

Examples:

If Output Heater Amps < 3.0 Then ON
    If Output Return Watts > 80 Then ON

Important Note: As the Apex evaluates and executes programming, these new alarm options and programming statements will be ignored if the specified output is manually OFF or the output is in AUTO and the output state is OFF due to programming. This behavior prevents false alarms about low watts or amps when an EB832 output is OFF.

As an example, let’s say that you have your return pump output programmed to turn the pump off while FeedA is active (If FeedA 000 Then OFF). You would not want an alarm about your return pump drawing 0 watts while your FeedA Cycle is active and the return pump is shut off. A watts reading of 0 is normal while the return pump is OFF in this case, so the Apex takes this into account, and will not trigger an alarm because the watts measurement is expected to be zero.

************************************************** ************************************************** *************************************************
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

FYI, that is not the reason I suggest a virtual outlet Russ. The reason is entirely to add a defer because the starting current of a motor decays over a matter of several seconds with 6 being typical. I was not aware of the automatic removal of OFF cases, so the If Outlet line could be removed. If a defer is included in the entire email outlet, using a virtual outlet is completely unnecessary but the statement about using amps vs watts still does apply.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

Regular Vistor
    Yes I have jebaos and the 10 second delay u are speaking of built in is not enough because when the pump is turning on it is not ramping up fast enough and is giving me an alarm every time... so twice a day now when my feeder shuts it off I'm getting an alarm... so I need a virtual outlet with higher a higher defer time to counter... it would be nice if u could set the defer time in the same spot u set the voltage alarm..