Thread: Trident question

New User

Trident question

Will the Trident be classic compatible?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would assume so. The only module so far that isn't is the eb832 and I seriously doubt neptune would alienate classic users or force them to upgrade on such a game changing device. Wouldn't make good business sense IMO.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

New User
    Reps at MACNA saying it will 2016 models and onwards didn't say "only"

New User
    Confirmed that 2016 models onward per another group

Confirmed with Russ. Only compatible with 2016.

Frequent Visitor
    That sucks.

Regular Vistor
    It more than sucks. It makes me angry. When I look at the Apex 2016 threads I see a whole set of buggy issues still going on, am I wrong about that? I know people that have the 2016 and they have non-stop connection issues.

New User
    Yeah that blows. I’ve got 2 classics and was waiting for this announcement. I don’t see me shelling out the cash to upgrade and buy this also.

Frequent Visitor LobsterOfJustice's Avatar
    Would really help if they will sell just the 2016 base unit without extras. Would let classic owners just swap out the brain, or run the brain just for the trident if you don't trust your whole system to be on the 2016.

180g reef with all the bells and whistles

Quote Originally Posted by LobsterOfJustice View Post
    Would really help if they will sell just the 2016 base unit without extras. Would let classic owners just swap out the brain, or run the brain just for the trident if you don't trust your whole system to be on the 2016.

At least for the time being, it's RMA only. Really makes me regret trying to save money and replacing my bricked classic for 220 vs spending 375 for a 2016.

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by rinckemd View Post
    Yeah that blows. I’ve got 2 classics and was waiting for this announcement. I don’t see me shelling out the cash to upgrade and buy this also.
    Well at least in Europe, in neptunestore.eu, they sell only the 2016 brain ...

Definitely an upgrade I would do for trident! as I would still keep the classic as a backup!

Control Freak In Training
    I suspected that at some point there would be product that demanded the resources the 2016 model provided but the older unit could not. I didn't expect it to be this quickly.

New User
    I Didn't think to ask that question at the Apex conference yesterday just assumed it would be. I don't care to upgrade right now so I guess won't be getting one any time soon. Terrence keeps saying how they would never leave us classic users out of the new products lets see if they keep their word.

Now I'm having second thoughts on buying a cor. If the new products are going to be 2016 only now may be the time to sell my apex and move on while someone may still want my classic.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Regular Vistor
    while I totally agree that it sucks that the Trident won't work with the older units but you have too except that some modules just can't. when I heard about the trident I ordered the new 2016 model. hopefully in the very near future Neptune will have the 2016 brain box available separate and then it won't be such a bite in the wallet.

Frequent Visitor
    Mr. Saltwater Tank had an interview with Terrence at MACNA that he posted a few days ago. In the video, Terrence specifically said that the Trident would only be 2016 compatible "for a variety of technical reasons." The two reasons I can think of would be because the trident needs more processing power than the classic can handle or, taking a more cynical view, because Neptune wants to force people to upgrade to the 2016 so they can make more money.

Personally, I don't believe that Neptune is trying to force people to upgrade just to make money; they would probably be better off if it were compatible because they'd have a much larger base of potential customers. I suspect the financial considerations came into play with the design of the Trident - by making the controller handle the processing & control of the Trident, they could keep the cost of the Trident lower.

Realistically, the Apex Classic came out in 2009 and has much less memory and processing power than the 2016, and my guess is that the classic simply isn't capable of controlling the Trident. Unfortunately, that would also mean that the Trident isn't capable of running as a stand alone unit, since if it were, it probably wouldn't need the processing power of the 2016.

All this does kind of stink if you own an Apex classic, but it's not that unlike your phone. No one with a 7 year old iPhone expects it to run the newest apps. I totally agree that Neptune would make a lot of people happy if they were to make the 2016 brains available on their own, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Sleepydoc View Post
    Neptune wants to force people to upgrade to the 2016
    That is exactly what my friend in sales said.

No one with a 7 year old iPhone expects it to run the newest apps.
    New $800 phones can be had at stores like Best Buy and Walmart for under $200. You can't get a 2016 Apex for under $200. If you could just about every Apex Classic owner (including me) would be upgrading to the 2016.

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by bigjim View Post

New $800 phones can be had at stores like Best Buy and Walmart for under $200. You can't get a 2016 Apex for under $200. If you could just about every Apex Classic owner (including me) would be upgrading to the 2016.
    just looked at Walmart's web site. You can get an iPhone 6 for 200 but the cheapest iPhone 7 is about 650. Best buy doesn't even have an iPhone 7 unless you buy a plan.

Frequent Visitor
    I don't think Neptune is being unreasonable by having Trident support only support the 2016 model. The classics are 10 years old at this point. As an IT guy, I can't tell you how often I have to swap out equipment just because the processing power inside the unit is not enough. Quite frankly, I am surprised they've been able to do as much as they have with the classics up to this point. I have a classic myself and would be hard pressed to shell out more money for the 2016. However, I think as we progress with cool things like the Trident, it's only inevitable that we have to do it. I do agree though that selling just the brain would be a good option for someone like myself who already has plenty of modules and does not need the features of the EB832. However, I will most likely just buy the whole setup when it comes time. I'll start saving my pennies now!

Control Freak In Training
    Quote Originally Posted by stre1026 View Post
    I don't think Neptune is being unreasonable by having Trident support only support the 2016 model. The classics are 10 years old at this point. As an IT guy, I can't tell you how often I have to swap out equipment just because the processing power inside the unit is not enough. Quite frankly, I am surprised they've been able to do as much as they have with the classics up to this point. I have a classic myself and would be hard pressed to shell out more money for the 2016. However, I think as we progress with cool things like the Trident, it's only inevitable that we have to do it. I do agree though that selling just the brain would be a good option for someone like myself who already has plenty of modules and does not need the features of the EB832. However, I will most likely just buy the whole setup when it comes time. I'll start saving my pennies now!
    Well said! My kids can't play all of the old PlayStation games on their PS4