Thread: Leak Protection Probes

Frequent Visitor

Leak Protection Probes

I am thinking of purchasing the Leak Protection Modules and some probes. I have two questions:

1. I have very little space between my sump and the insides of my cabinet. Would the sensor work if they were put on their sides? I would like to put one on each side of the sump since all of our past leaks have been from the flexible tubing within the sump area.

2. I have a canopy and wood surrounding the entire tank with a ledge, What is the likelihood of a good quality 90 gallon glass tank leaking? I just don't know where I would put the probes. Also, if the tank started losing water, would the sump level start dropping to keep the level of the tank filled. Would a level sensor make more sense?

The sensors will work on their sides but, the way they work is with the water making a circuit between two points on the bottom of the sensor which means, if it was free standing on its side, the water would need to get pretty deep unless it was agaisnt a vertical surface the water was running down.

As for tank leaks, I think they are rare in newer tanks but, anything can happen.

Best place for the sensor(s) IMHO is on the floor under your tank which is where mine are at several places I think are likely to be the first to get wet. Water will always collect at the lowest point.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Rob

Frequent Visitor
    How about my question: Also, if the tank started losing water, would the sump level start dropping to keep the level of the tank filled. Would a level sensor make more sense?

Also, my tank is about 13 years old.

Quote Originally Posted by lang510 View Post
    Also, my tank is about 13 years old.
    I would definitely get the leak detectors if your tank is over 10 years old.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

I have two sensors ( there are two different types, a low profile and a solid surface) one on a flat surface and one for "rug"
    i have one inside my sump and the other is behind my stand on my carpet maybe you could do that

Frequent Visitor
    No room behind the tank on floor it is close to wall. And because of the ledge, the water would reach the floor after a lot of damage had already occurred. Could put it on ledge on back but there is no way to hide it if two were in front. Can't put it flat in sump area as it Is too narrow.

Can you post a picture of your tank so we can see how much room you have?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I wouldn't bother with the LDM. They make leak sensors that work with the FMM now, so your spare ports can be used for other things like optical sensors and flow.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

Frequent Visitor
    Thanks zombi, it makes sense to get the FMM. Bigjim, I don't know how to post a picture but here are some measurements:

Behind cabinet on floor: 2 1/2 inches
    Space between wall and sliding shelf for sump: about 1 1/2 inches on each side.

Regular Vistor
    so I had this same problem in one spot near my sump. SO i took a regular size sponge for doing dishes and cut it so it was just about the same size as the solid surface leak detector. I thinner took and zip tied the SSLD to the sponge and set it on its side. I tested it and when the water got too the sponge it absorbed the water an sure enough it activated. if you do this just be sure to check that yours works.

Quote Originally Posted by fishyguy7 View Post
    so I had this same problem in one spot near my sump. SO i took a regular size sponge for doing dishes and cut it so it was just about the same size as the solid surface leak detector. I thinner took and zip tied the SSLD to the sponge and set it on its side. I tested it and when the water got too the sponge it absorbed the water an sure enough it activated. if you do this just be sure to check that yours works.

Great suggestion

Frequent Visitor
    Very interesting. My husband is an engineer, so I'll ask him about this and see if it will work with my setup. Thanks.

Frequent Visitor
    My husband says that it should work. Thanks for a great suggestion, Fishguy.