Thread: Apex Cant Connect to Network after Modem Change

Regular Vistor

Apex Cant Connect to Network after Modem Change

Hi folks: I am at my wit's end, and frustrated with my Apex 2016-Apex Fusion network connections. I had to change out our modem yesterday and set up a new connection to Comcast. The modem and the network came through with flying colors, though I did have to recreate the wireless network through the Apple AirPort Extreme router. The Apex was, and is, hard-wired to the AirPort Router. I have restarted the modem, router and Apex (in that order) and cannot get a connection.

What's worse is that I have also tried unplugging the Apex from the ethernet cable, restarting it to get it into WiFi setup mode (blue light on the front), and though I can connect to the Apex wireless network, I am unable to connect to the wireless setup through either apex.local or 172.16.0.1 from any of my devices (iPhone, iPad and desktop). WTF!

And, of course, Neptune only offers support Monday - Friday.

I am not a network guy, much more of a software guy, but I am comfortable with technology. I had previously turned off DHCP when I was having trouble getting the wireless to hold the connection. I later went ahead and just hard-wired it.

I haven't had any connection problems since then, but I'm honestly unsure how to even reach the Apex 2016 to start trouble shooting it when I can't get it to respond wirelessly.

Duncan-Apex-Fusion-Scrennshot.png

If anyone has any ideas, please share...

Most likely, this is because you changed the HTTP port. Try to access it with http://Apex.local:1001

When you can, reset the http port to 80.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Regular Vistor

Getting closer but not there yet

Quote Originally Posted by RussM View Post
    Most likely, this is because you changed the HTTP port. Try to access it with http://Apex.local:1001

When you can, reset the http port to 80.
    Thanks @RussM, you got me closer than I have been. When I use the URL provided I am able connect to the base unit and it asks me to connect to my wireless network. When I enter my password (tried multiple times) it eventually gives a message that says either the SSID or the password must be incorrect, but I am typing them exactly.

I dont remember changing the http port but I'm guessing that I did since it is there. Next question, how and where do I change it back?

Quote Originally Posted by DiverChrisFL View Post
    Thanks @RussM, you got me closer than I have been. When I use the URL provided I am able connect to the base unit and it asks me to connect to my wireless network. When I enter my password (tried multiple times) it eventually gives a message that says either the SSID or the password must be incorrect, but I am typing them exactly.

I dont remember changing the http port but I'm guessing that I did since it is there. Next question, how and where do I change it back?
    What type of encryption are you using? The apex only supports certain types. Also are you using spaces in the password (I don't know If that effects the apex but has caused me issues with my PS3 WiFi and a few other devices)

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

Regular Vistor
    No, there are no spaces in the password. The encryption is WPA 2. I gave the new network the same name and password. Could that be the problem?

Regular Vistor
    No, there are no spaces in the password. The encryption is WPA 2. I gave the new network the same name and password. Could that be the problem?
    Should have said WPA 2 Personal

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post
    What type of encryption are you using? The apex only supports certain types. Also are you using spaces in the password (I don't know If that effects the apex but has caused me issues with my PS3 WiFi and a few other devices)

Thanks Zombie but no spaces and security is WPA 2 Personal just like before.

Not sure then. The http port can be changed in the network settings page

Regular Vistor

Cool

I'm replying with a solution, in the hopes that it will help someone else in the future. Bottom line is that my Apex was on my local network, I just couldn't get it to make contact with Apex Fusion. Thanks to @RussM for pointing out that it was on port 1001 and to @Zombie for trying to help me out. I got a response from Neptune last night that pointed me toward resolving my problem. They sent me links for the windows https://www.neptunesystems.com/downl...xBrowse_pc.zip and mac https://www.neptunesystems.com/downl...Browse_mac.zip versions of their Apex Browse utility.With this tool I was able to discover that my Apex was indeed on the network, and able to change the port configuration. That still did not work. What eventually did work, and it was totally on a whim after changing the port, was turning DHCP back on with the device. The instructions in the tutorial to access the Apex via the IP address still did not work, but in the process of updating my configuration I suddenly got a lost power alert from Apex. A quick little investigation showed me that with the port changed and DHCP set to "on," I am now able to access the Apex using Fusion. Thanks again for all of the help, I'm posting this long reply so that anyone who stumbles on my problem will know to try this... before you piss away a weekend. LOL

Frequent Visitor
    I'm replying with a solution, in the hopes that it will help someone else in the future. Bottom line is that my Apex was on my local network, I just couldn't get it to make contact with Apex Fusion. Thanks to @RussM for pointing out that it was on port 1001 and to @Zombie for trying to help me out. I got a response from Neptune last night that pointed me toward resolving my problem. They sent me links for the windows https://www.neptunesystems.com/downl...xBrowse_pc.zip and mac https://www.neptunesystems.com/downl...Browse_mac.zip versions of their Apex Browse utility.With this tool I was able to discover that my Apex was indeed on the network, and able to change the port configuration. That still did not work. What eventually did work, and it was totally on a whim after changing the port, was turning DHCP back on with the device. The instructions in the tutorial to access the Apex via the IP address still did not work, but in the process of updating my configuration I suddenly got a lost power alert from Apex. A quick little investigation showed me that with the port changed and DHCP set to "on," I am now able to access the Apex using Fusion. Thanks again for all of the help, I'm posting this long reply so that anyone who stumbles on my problem will know to try this... before you piss away a weekend. LOL
    This solved my problem as well. Don't know why I had set it to static IP - probably because it was recommended on this forum for another problem - but switching from static to dhcp resolved the problem getting into fusion. Also - the Apex browser tool is extremely helpful if you need to find out 'whats happening' on the network

Quote Originally Posted by mnmnmn View Post
    This solved my problem as well. Don't know why I had set it to static IP - probably because it was recommended on this forum for another problem - but switching from static to dhcp resolved the problem getting into fusion. Also - the Apex browser tool is extremely helpful if you need to find out 'whats happening' on the network
    Static will often bite you in the butt when you change modems. If your gateway isn't the same, neither local nor fusion will work, and if it is the same DNS issues can sometimes prevent fusion from being reached (you don't have this problem when using Google's DNS servers, which is what I do). The reason static is often suggested as a fix to fusion connection issues is because of the behavior of the apex during outages and router cycling. The apex receives it's settings during the boot cycle, so if you have a router that boots slower than the apex and have a number of devices connected, the apex can send the DHCP request, get no response and default to the settings used before power outage. If another device gets assigned the same ip address you get a conflict that prevents the apex from accessing fusion. A static ip larger than the number of devices in your home prevents this entirely.

Frequent Visitor
    [QUOTE=zombie;126915]Static will often bite you in the butt when you change modems. If your gateway isn't the same, neither local nor fusion will work, and if it is the same DNS issues can sometimes prevent fusion from being reached (you don't have this problem when using Google's DNS servers, which is what I do). The reason static is often suggested as a fix to fusion connection issues is because of the behavior of the apex during outages and router cycling. The apex receives it's settings during the boot cycle, so if you have a router that boots slower than the apex and have a number of devices connected, the apex can send the DHCP request, get no response and default to the settings used before power outage. If another device gets assigned the same ip address you get a conflict that prevents the apex from accessing fusion. A static ip larger than the number of devices in your home prevents this entirely.

I was using Google DNS. and a static IP (because it was suggested to help disconnects some time ago). I never saw any difference - and haven't since using the ones from my ISP.

New User
    Finally. Thanks. I've been disconnected for 5-6 days. System was running on autopilot but it was killing me. This allowed be access to the controller so I could update the internet.

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBearMD View Post
    Finally. Thanks. I've been disconnected for 5-6 days. System was running on autopilot but it was killing me. This allowed be access to the controller so I could update the internet.
    Glad it helped!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

New User

Can't access fusion or my Apex

My Apex went offline and I have been trying to get it back on and updated. I used the discover Apex listed above and UTL my system. I have rebooted and it goes threw the process but nothing happens and I get the opening screen with the "Apex Disconnected" when I retry nothing. I am not Savvy with this at all and need some help getting it back online.
    I have Cox Cable and I had to update my Modem a little over a month ago, is that my problem?
    Thanks for any help.

Regular Vistor
    Hi Mike: I don't know if the Neptune team will see your question here. I would suggest starting a new question. They got back to me within a couple of days. I'm afraid I can't help with your particular issues, but I bet they can. Good luck!