Thread: Upgrading to the newer control unit

New User

Upgrading to the newer control unit

I have a Classic Gold system that I would like to possibly upgrade to the newer version. My question is am I able to upgrade just the control unit and display without a new power bar and probs?

Yes you can. One thing to be aware of though is that the configuration cannot be directly transferred, so you will need to start from scratch, or very carefully copy paste all code and outlet names, set up all outlet names the same in the new head unit and then copy paste into it.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post
    Yes you can. One thing to be aware of though is that the configuration cannot be directly transferred, so you will need to start from scratch, or very carefully copy paste all code and outlet names, set up all outlet names the same in the new head unit and then copy paste into it.

They really need to come up with a better way to do it than a manual port if they expect all the classic users to upgrade. It's bad enough I need to update for the trident. That's just not cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

New User
    Where can I purchase? I only see packages at the LFS and online. I don't mind reprogramming everything. I just don't need another energy bar and I already have probs.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawnsaucier View Post
    Where can I purchase? I only see packages at the LFS and online. I don't mind reprogramming everything. I just don't need another energy bar and I already have probs.
    At the moment, head units are locked behind an RMA wall. I'm sure that will change soon given that some people like to keep spare head units around and others want to upgrade for the trident when it releases.

Frequent Visitor
    At the moment, head units are locked behind an RMA wall. I'm sure that will change soon given that some people like to keep spare head units around and others want to upgrade for the trident when it releases.

What is an 'RMA Wall'.

Quote Originally Posted by mnmnmn View Post
    What is an 'RMA Wall'.
    Means you could only buy one with a code from support for an out of warranty RMA

Frequent Visitor
    Means you could only buy one with a code from support for an out of warranty RMA

Sorry would you care to say what an RMA is?

Frequent Visitor
    Sorry would you care to say what an RMA is?
    Return Merchandise Authorization......google is your friend.

Frequent Visitor
    The most common google result is risk management agency. but - in any case. Best to just communicate what you mean - because it wasn't clear.

Frequent Visitor
    The most common google result is risk management agency. but - in any case. Best to just communicate what you mean - because it wasn't clear.
    You are only able to purchase the 2016 with the energy bar and probes. This is a bitter pill if you own a gold package and only want the brain. (welcome to the apex classic party)

If you buy the 2016 apex and break it they will sell you a brain as replacement

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Garron View Post
    You are only able to purchase the 2016 with the energy bar and probes. This is a bitter pill if you own a gold package and only want the brain. (welcome to the apex classic party)

Thanks this makes sense. I have taken that bitter pill - I had bought an 'apex gold' which I thought was the 'apex 2016' (the picture in the ad had the new apex pictured. I now have an apex classic on a large freshwater tank - and an apex 2016 on my reef. In all honesty, the most bitter pill was after changing to the Apex 2016, the hours and thousands of dollars working through poor firmware and a bad chip that caused 2 tank crashes. Be thankful that you did not upgrade immediately (fortunately, most of these issues seem to be improved)

Quote Originally Posted by Garron View Post

They will also replace dead classic head units if those get bricked (as least they did when mine died, and I should have upgraded then but wanted to same some money).

Frequent Visitor
    To be fair "RMA" is a standard term used by almost everyone like the word "the".

Unless you were born yesterday the term generally doesn't need classification to the vast majority of people.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Frequent Visitor
    They will also replace dead classic head units if those get bricked (as least they did when mine died, and I should have upgraded then but wanted to same some money).

They did that for me as well before the 2016 came out.

After being without my unit for a few weeks I swore I would never run an apex without a spare unit.

Now I can certainly run a 2016 model and store my classic unit as an emergency back up, but I agree with you that people will want spares.

And never be an early adopter of technology products or cars unless you know going in its probably going to be a nightmare.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk