Thread: LSM extension for cord...

Regular Vistor

LSM extension for cord...

What type of cord would I use to extend from the LSM LED's to the LSM module box about 5-6 feet away from the tank?

The preferred approach is to locate the LSM closer to the tank and use a longer Aquabus cable if needed. You could mount on the back of the canopy, for example.

Anything else would be a DIY project. You could make an extension cable using a male and female plug and jack of the same type the LSM and LED string have, or you could cut the plug off the LED string and splice in a longer length of wire.

Simply moving the LSM is the way I'd go.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by RussM View Post
    The preferred approach is to locate the LSM closer to the tank and use a longer Aquabus cable if needed. You could mount on the back of the canopy, for example.

Anything else would be a DIY project. You could make an extension cable using a male and female plug and jack of the same type the LSM and LED string have, or you could cut the plug off the LED string and splice in a longer length of wire.

Simply moving the LSM is the way I'd go.
    dang...I know that the Kessil's have an extension cable (female ear phone style jack to phone style jack) I was hoping that I could use some sort of extension that had female to male audio style jack like what is on the LED string.

+1 on moving the LSM closer. making an extension cable or splicing extra cable in, while possible, can be very problematic if you make a mistake. since there isn't a marker on the wires showing positive versus negative, it is very easy to land them backwards and burn up both the led string and your LSM. also if you go the splice route and you dont properly insulate and waterproof the splice, you can short out the LSM which can fry the LSM and in if you're unlucky enough fry other modules connected to the aquabus including your controller.

Quote Originally Posted by ctmgardea View Post
    dang...I know that the Kessil's have an extension cable (female ear phone style jack to phone style jack) I was hoping that I could use some sort of extension that had female to male audio style jack like what is on the LED string.
    I did a quick google search and didn't find any commercially available that would work.

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post
    I did a quick google search and didn't find any commercially available that would work.
    What about something like this? not sure this is the exact size...but something like this

http://www.sears.com/unique-bargains...irectType=SRDT

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by ctmgardea View Post
    What about something like this? not sure this is the exact size...but something like this

http://www.sears.com/unique-bargains...irectType=SRDT
    Or a totally different plug....crap! Thanks everyone for the help!

Agree relocating the LSM is best using a long Aquabus (USB) cable, but I did end up finding a premade M-F extension cable on either Amazon or eBay that is installed and works just fine for me. It allows me to have my Official Neptune unmodified LEDs physically attached to my hood, but I'm easily able to separate them from my extension cable that plugs into the LSM when I want to remove the hood over the top of my tank. I unfortunately tried, but can't find for you the specs on the cable... I ordered a couple, and at least two ended-up being sacrificed in the process of my attempting to lengthen my LSM LED and Vortech Battery cables. Didn't cost much, but at least you know it's possible if your willing to buy the LSM and the LEDs, do a bit of measument, then some trial and error ordering. ;-)
    Bert

Regular Vistor
    Thanks, Bert! I have a pretty amazing electronics store by me, I might go see if they have something that could work.

Frequent Contributor

I ordered this part from
    Amazon: 12 ft 1.3mm DC Power Extension Cable for Foscam, Agasio, Tenvis, Loftek Wireless IP Camera

It worked great not cutting or splicing!!!!
    Jon

Good find. That would definately do the trick since the cable length and wire gage is adequate. Just make sure you have a drip loop on both sides of where you connect the extender cable to the led string to prevent the possibility of a short.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can PROVE it mathematically.

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by jonmos75 View Post

I ordered this part from
    Amazon: 12 ft 1.3mm DC Power Extension Cable for Foscam, Agasio, Tenvis, Loftek Wireless IP Camera

Thank you Jon!!

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by jonmos75 View Post

I ordered this part from

Thanks for the link!

Frequent Contributor
    No problem

Jon
    Jon

New User

Other way to get this done.

I have successfully cut the wire and extended it the length needed. I used a similar gauge wire, soldered the connections, put heat shrink over the solder points and walla, it worked great. The connection was in a location where water and moisture would not be a factor. My canopy wires were run through the wall and the connection made lived in the wall. Surely, this will probably void the warranty on the product. But it is a safe and reliable way to do it.