Thread: Fan Programming - Timer and Temp control

New User

Fan Programming - Timer and Temp control

Hi,

I'm very new to programming for the apex and have been trying to read up a bit but I can't seem to find an answer to my specific question. I have a canopy/t5 lights fan I want to start when the lights go on (timer), but also turn on if the temp of the tank gets too high to encourage evaporation (outside of the timer hours). Below you can see the programming I have on the outlet currently. Does a great job of turning on/off with the timer but won't turn on if the temp gets above 27. Any ideas? Thanks much

Aaron

Fallback OFF
    Set OFF
    If Time 12:00 to 21:00 Then ON
    If Temp > 27.0 Then ON
    If Temp < 26.5 Then OFF
    Min Time 001:00 Then OFF

Regular Vistor
    Remove min time and retest.

Seen someone with similar issue with min time and lights 2 days ago

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by discosoma View Post
    Fallback OFF
    Set OFF
    If Temp > 27.0 Then ON
    If Temp < 26.5 Then OFF
    Min Time 001:00 Then OFF
    Your programming does not achieve your stated intent. The way you have it now, the fan will be turn off anytime the temp is 26.4 or lower. You do not need the If Temp < 26.5 statement.

To make it work are you describe, the program needs to be this:

Fallback OFF
    Set OFF
    If Temp > 27.0 Then ON
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by RussM View Post
    Your programming does not achieve your stated intent. The way you have it now, the fan will be turn off anytime the temp is 26.4 or lower. You do not need the If Temp < 26.5 statement.

Fallback OFF
    Set OFF
    If Temp > 27.0 Then ON
    No I think this is intended, he wants to keep the temp between 26.3 to 27.1 ( < 26.4 and > 27.0.

Problem is that it wont turn on over 27.0 (27.1) like he want.

Someone else this week with the same thing and increasing the min time to 060:00 solved it.

In your case, I dont understand why you have a min time of 1 minute.

No - he said he wants the fan to turn on when the lights come on and also when the temp is high.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Regular Vistor
    No - he said he wants the fan to turn on when the lights come on and also when the temp is high.
    OP need to be more clear. I see what he wrote but, his code points to a bigger temp range

Also, if the fans are always on between those hours, the temp could drop a lot

Regular Vistor
    Does the "Min Time 001:00 Then Off" mean the Fan would come on and stay on for atleast one minute

Quote Originally Posted by jonleon89 View Post
    Does the "Min Time 001:00 Then Off" mean the Fan would come on and stay on for atleast one minute
    No, it means that if the output was ON and then turned OFF, it cannot turn back ON for 1 minute.

Regular Vistor
    No, it means that if the output was ON and then turned OFF, it cannot turn back ON for 1 minute.
    Oh ok, I struggle to understand Defer and Min programming.
    Thanks

New User
    Thanks everyone for the comments. As I said I'm still new and learning, so thanks for the help!

Fallback OFF
    Set OFF
    If Temp > 27.0 Then ON
    I have also tried this programming (should have included in my original post). Unfortunately when I tried this programming, outside of the defined time to run, it would not start up. Maybe this has something to do with the min time issue outlined by Mobidoy?

Quote Originally Posted by Mobidoy View Post
    No I think this is intended, he wants to keep the temp between 26.3 to 27.1 ( < 26.4 and > 27.0.

Problem is that it wont turn on over 27.0 (27.1) like he want.

Someone else this week with the same thing and increasing the min time to 060:00 solved it.

To be honest I hadn't really put too much thought into the min time and I likely borrowed it from a different preprogrammed outlet code. I'll try and change the minimum time and see how it goes.

OP need to be more clear. I see what he wrote but, his code points to a bigger temp range

Also, if the fans are always on between those hours, the temp could drop a lot

I do indeed want the fan to be on in the core timer hours, but outside of that time, I also want the fan to kick on anytime the temp is > than 27.0 C to increase evap and stay on until the temp drops down to 26.5 (I guess I can likely put Temp =26.5 instead of Temp < 26.5). This time of year the room my aquarium is in can get to 80 F (poor insulation in ceiling/no insulation in walls) due to 95ish F outside temps and a lot of western sun exposure. I do have a portable air conditioner which we use regularly and can bring he temp down to mid/high 70's which often will solve the problem. However if the lights turn off (which mirror the fan schedule) and the temp is still high, I want the program to keep the fan on. This is a temporary programming, when the season changes I will likely change the programming.

Quote Originally Posted by discosoma View Post
    I guess I can likely put Temp =26.5 instead of Temp < 26.5)
    No, don't try that - it won't work. If Temp < 26.5 would be the proper syntax to use if you want a low temp shutoff for the fan.

The brief Min Time serves to debounce the outlet - keep it from cycling on and off rapidly if the temp is hovering at the set point (or set points) defined by the If Temp statement(s). I did not use one in my program here because it may not be needed and, if there some sort of bug affecting Min Time as you imply, eliminating the Min Time would remove that factor.

Fallback OFF
    Set OFF
    If Temp > 27.0 Then ON
    I have also tried this programming (should have included in my original post). Unfortunately when I tried this programming, outside of the defined time to run, it would not start up. Maybe this has something to do with the min time issue outlined by Mobidoy?
    The programming I gave and you quoted/said you are using does not have a Min Time. I am unaware of any functional issue with Min Time, but if a Min Time statement is not there, Mobidoy's point does not apply. So, let's clarify it - do you have a Min Time currently or not?