Thread: Can't connect to the network after a power cut

Regular Vistor

Can't connect to the network after a power cut

So we've just had a 24-hour power cut, in 110 degree weather. The a/c is finally back on and life is bliss.

Apart, that is, from getting the Apex to talk to the network. I have a display unit, and it's using the same configuration as before the power cut (static IP, ip=192.168.1.64, nm=255.255.255.0, gw/dns =192.168.1.254). There's a *lot* of traffic on my home network, maybe 50 or so devices in total, most of which are DHCP, and I wanted the Apex to be easily accessible after a power cut like this, so it has a static address.

The ethernet wire on the bottom of the Apex head unit is green, and blinks from time to time. That wire goes to a network hub with three connection (one to the Apex, one to the APC SMX3000RMLV2UNC UPS, and one to the broader home network). I can see leds lit on all three connections.

I checked the head unit, and the Apex IP address is specified as above, and WiFi is configured to be off. I can't enable WiFi, because my SSID has a ' ' (space) character in it, and I can't figure out how to enter that on the display unit, hitting right-arrow when the currently-selected character is a ' ' causes a 'return' event and you go to the parent menu.

I can't ping 192.168.1.64 from another machine on my home network and I can't telnet to port 80 on it either. I don't actually have a computer connected to the network switch in the fish-room itself (to rule out a cabling issue) but that's next on the list to try - my portable is a Mac, and it doesn't have an ethernet port... I don't see why cabling should change due to a power outage (it worked just fine before the power cut) but hey, ruling things out is good.

Anyone any ideas, in case I'm missing the bleeding obvious ?

Cheers
    Simon

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by SpacedCowboy View Post
    So we've just had a 24-hour power cut, in 110 degree weather. The a/c is finally back on and life is bliss.

Apart, that is, from getting the Apex to talk to the network. I have a display unit, and it's using the same configuration as before the power cut (static IP, ip=192.168.1.64, nm=255.255.255.0, gw/dns =192.168.1.254). There's a *lot* of traffic on my home network, maybe 50 or so devices in total, most of which are DHCP, and I wanted the Apex to be easily accessible after a power cut like this, so it has a static address.

The ethernet wire on the bottom of the Apex head unit is green, and blinks from time to time. That wire goes to a network hub with three connection (one to the Apex, one to the APC SMX3000RMLV2UNC UPS, and one to the broader home network). I can see leds lit on all three connections.

I checked the head unit, and the Apex IP address is specified as above, and WiFi is configured to be off. I can't enable WiFi, because my SSID has a ' ' (space) character in it, and I can't figure out how to enter that on the display unit, hitting right-arrow when the currently-selected character is a ' ' causes a 'return' event and you go to the parent menu.

I can't ping 192.168.1.64 from another machine on my home network and I can't telnet to port 80 on it either. I don't actually have a computer connected to the network switch in the fish-room itself (to rule out a cabling issue) but that's next on the list to try - my portable is a Mac, and it doesn't have an ethernet port... I don't see why cabling should change due to a power outage (it worked just fine before the power cut) but hey, ruling things out is good.

Anyone any ideas, in case I'm missing the bleeding obvious ?

Cheers
    Simon
    Chang to a non-static IP restart

Regular Vistor
    I ought to have updated this. Support walked me through it, we had to do a hard reset of the Apex with a paperclip, and then things worked ok again. It was getting stuck in some internal state where neither DHCP or static IP addresses would respond.

It actually went offline again a couple of days later, but it came back on its own this time, so it looks like it's ok now.