Thread: Relay to control larger pumps?

Control Freak In Training

Relay to control larger pumps?

My system currently has one Reeflo Hammerhead Gold (return pump) and two Iwaki MD55RLT pumps (skimmer and salt mixing station.) I prefer not to put loads this large on my EB832 outlets and was wondering if anyone has found a relay they like to use for this purpose. I am also debating 24 VDC, versus a 110 VAC, but am leaning towards 110 VAC since I want to use some of my 24 VDC ports for RODI automation and they are more limited in number than the 16 110 ports I now have. Any insight appreciated!

These pumps are fine on EB832 outlets. The Hammerhead draws a max of about 300w, the Iwakis about 195w each; an EB832 outlet is rated for 840w.

But all three added up plus with larger heaters and such in the mix, it could add up to a point where you’d be pushing the 15A total limit for the EB832. So if you do want to offload, the Agrowtech RX1 will do the trick. It’s what Neptune recommends to commercial entities and big tank owners who have very large 115VAC pumps.

http://agrowtek.com/component/page,s...art/Itemid,26/

However, considering that none of those pumps really require a dedicated 15A outlet, and when you compare the cost of $99 for the RX1 1-outlet relay box, in your case it would be far more cost-effective to just buy another EB832 or an EB4 to split the overall load between and get the added benefit of the extra outlets to use.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Control Freak In Training
    Thanks for the reply Russ. I purchased an EB p832 when they were on sale last weekend, and think I will likely mount it by my mixing station to move that pump, and the heaters for my new salt water bin, onto it.