Thread: MP40QD wet side disconnects from motor at same time every night.

Regular Vistor

MP40QD wet side disconnects from motor at same time every night.

I have two MP40QDs installed on a 65 gal system controlled via an Apex Classic/WXM, Whenever I remove/replace the wet side of the pump on left side of my tank for cleaning or whatever, it almost always disconnects from the motor the following evening and falls to the bottom, doing so exactly at 7:20 PM each night, which is in the middle of a Nutrient Transport Mode (running from 6 PM to 8:30 PM) at 25% power. I replace it, and it works fine for 24 hours. When I replace the wet side I always center it as best as possible and there is never any noise or vibration from the pump, however just before it falls the motor makes a loud, awful [vibrating] noise and the wet side falls to the bottom. In the past, eventually after a couple of days the wet side will stop falling and it runs fine (without noise or vibration) until the next time I remove it for cleaning and then replace it. I just cleaned this pump last week, and right now it's six nights in a row that the wet side has disconnected in the described fashion exactly at 7:20 PM each night. The other pump has worked just fine without issue. It's very odd and frustrating. All Ecotech had to offer was to add a transition period because the change might be too drastic and use a thinner spacer. I'm already using the thin spacer on a 3/8" plex tank. And, I don't know how adding a transition period would help as it happens in the middle of a 2-1/2 hr NTM period, plus the other pump has always worked just fine w/o similar issue. Need suggestions to help me sort it out.

Thanks,

Jace K.

If you glass is to thick it can happen during an abrupt change in modes.. try creating a more gentle transition form mode to mode.
    I'm assuming Reeflink does this on its own as it only happened to me when it was running through the WXM module.

Another thing i eventually did was but a small ring of hot glue around the dry side to hold it in place which fixed it (mine are hidden). and i have 15mm Glass plus acrylic so i'm pushing it for thickness.

Frequent Contributor iamchadster's Avatar
    How thick is the tank glass? Have you dialed in the vortech for the proper thickness of you glass. If so.maybe adjust it to the next higher up thickness.
    Chad

Regular Vistor
    That's the strange part, it doesn't happen anywhere near the transition, it happens exactly 80 minutes into a 150 minute NTM period.

Regular Vistor
    It's 3/8" plexiglass. I'll double check on the spacer, thanks.

Edit - OK, I'm an idiot. I thought I had the thinner spacers on there, but in fact had the thicker ones. I changed them out and we'll see what happens at 7:20 tomorrow night. I guess 3/8" is just close enough to 1/4" for the thicker spacers to have worked most of the time during the past year-and-a-half. If it doesn't fix the problem, I'll post back. Thanks for chiming in guys.