Thread: Using the new Apex to control two different tanks?

New User

Using the new Apex to control two different tanks?

I am wondering if the new Apex can be used to control and monitor two separate tanks.

Jim

Frequent Contributor iamchadster's Avatar
    Yes, you just need appropriate probes and modules. The "old" Apex could do it as well BTW.
    Chad

New User
    Quote Originally Posted by iamchadster View Post
    Yes, you just need appropriate probes and modules. The "old" Apex could do it as well BTW.
    Ok, are the connections for modules such as to have the tanks and controllers separated by 40 to 50 feet? I would want the controller in the basement connected to a tank in the office (250G) and one in the front room (75G). Eventually a sump in the basement, bur ubtil them separate tanks. It would be easier to justify 1000.00 than 2000.00 Dollars.

Jim

Sent from my SM-P905V using Tapatalk

Yes, you can connect remote modules & EnergyBars to an Apex system like you’d need. Neptune sells extension cables in 15’ and 30’ lengths for this purpose. You can also get longer lengths from a 3rd party source, usbfirewire.com. Their custom cables on this page are specifically made for use with an Apex: http://www.usbfirewire.com/apex.html. While not inexpensive, they are high quality cables which are used by many Apex owners who needed to connect over those greater distances.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Usbfirewire does make some nice cables. I used one of theirs to connect my sump room to my DT which is across the house from each other.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
    Current: 120 Gallon Peninsula DIY system.

New User
    Ok, I am familiar with usbfirewire.com, that will help. Now, off to the plan and build.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

New User
    Just a note, I have a 75 Gallon Tank with a APEX ATO in the living room. It is about 50 Feet from the sump room down stairs. My wife wants the sump downstairs to make it easier for us to do care. The office Tank has yet to be ordered. Current thinking is 250 Gallons. The office is about 25 feet from the sump. The idea is to run both tanks off the one 150 Gallon sump. We would like to be able to run the common items in the sump, but control lights and wave makers, etc. for each tank separately. It appears the Apex will do this. In the long run it will be the most cost effective. Since, I have the support of the wife, I wish to make this easy.

Frequent Visitor
    I am running 5 completely independent systems with one apex brain. I have EB8s and PM2 and breakout boxes at each tank. The brain doesn't care what tank anything is in, it just controls inputs and outputs.

the only issues to watch out for is that all your aquabusmcables can only add up to 200 feet combined so don't get cables with lots of extra length you don't need.

Quote Originally Posted by JimFuller View Post
    The idea is to run both tanks off the one 150 Gallon sump.
    I am not sure that is a good idea. If you accidentally introduce something bad into one tank it will infect the other tank.