Thread: ATK Failure

Frequent Visitor

ATK Failure

So of course this has to happen while we are moved out of our house for remodel but I checked my webcam this morning and noticed the display full of bubbles.
    I immediately thought my ato container must have run dry. But then started thinking that I would have gotten an alarm that the pmup tried to run for more than 8 minutes if that was the case. I checked my log and the ato hasn't run since Sunday morning (it typically runs like once an hour).
    I tried to override and turn on the ato from fusion and the pump won't turn on... also, he optical sensor still says it's closed even though the water is below the level. the unit is only a few months old. Any thoughts?

Frequent Visitor
    Check it the optical sensor is dirty. Are you ATO with kalk? If so make sure the drip line is not over the sensor could cause bad reading.

Frequent Visitor
    I "rinsed" the sensor with sump water and wiped with paper towel. It still says closed... I'm just worried why I can't get the pump to turn on manually either. What are the odds both would fail at the same time? Unless the pump won't turn on if sensor is "closed"?

Frequent Visitor
    Also, as a test I turned off the return pump to allow he water to go several inches above the high sensor and the apex still says it's open. No way both sensors would fail at the same time. This must be a module issue right?Russ?

Frequent Visitor

ATK Failure

Why don't you swap the sensors and see if it's the sensor that's bad? Use the high sensor for low

Frequent Visitor
    Like I said in my last post, I just turned the return off to test the high sensor and it remained open even with water well above the sensor

Frequent Visitor
    Ah one more test go into modules and configure the fmm and make sure it's not on auto detect on the 4 ports. I manual set the ports as auto detect is finicky.

Frequent Visitor
    Hm. Just noticed this...

Frequent Visitor
    Try updating firmware on module to clear the error on the model?

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by scuzy View Post
    Try updating firmware on module to clear the error on the model?
    I tried that. Is there a way to tell what the error is?

Frequent Visitor
    When I got home from work tonight I unplugged the FMM aquabus in hopes this would reset it and it worked. It's back to working like normal. My concern is why/how this sort of thing could happen and not alarm me that anything is wrong. Every time I opened fusion the ato low was "closed" so I never suspected anything was wrong. Anyway to remedy this?

Frequent Visitor
    Yeah I don't know how this could be prevented. I have two fmm on my apex to control two tanks. I think I might at an emergency low float that triggers my alarm that the atk has failed.

Frequent Visitor
    Speaking of the devil mine just did that today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Frequent Visitor
    yeah both of mine have been doing this on and off for a while now. I sure am glad I also back my FMM-optical sensors with BOB-float switches, as those have indicated my water-low/water-high conditions when the FMM has gone into that funky error state...been meaning to reach out to them again and see if there's any new information, but it sounds like it's not a very common problem but one they are actively trying to fix. I also asked them to add a feature to alarm us if a module goes into error state, as that seems like something that's important for us to know.

Quote Originally Posted by scuzy View Post
    I think I might at an emergency low float that triggers my alarm that the atk has failed.
    What I did was set up an text/email alarm if the atk fails to operate at all for 4 hours. Long enough that it's definitely a sign of failure, short enough that the problem can be corrected without risk to livestock.

Virtual output named 'OutputErr240':

Set OFF
    If Output AutoTopOff = OFF Then ON
    If Output DOSLeftRF1 = OFF Then ON
    If Output DOSRightRF2 = OFF Then ON
    If Output DOS2LeftRT = OFF Then ON
    If Output DOS2RightRP = OFF Then ON
    Defer 240:00 Then ON

Then in the text/email/alarm programming:

If Output OutputErr240 = ON Then ON

You can also do the inverse, creating alarms to make sure that a particular device doesn't stay on too long. For example, I have another virtual output called 'OutputErr060' that warns me if my ozonizer has been on for more than an hour continuously. You can create any number of these to suit your particular needs.

Frequent Visitor
    That's not a bad idea, especially given that I've also had an issue where my FMM gets into a really bad state, it'll lose it's settings entirely, including the fact it's even an optical sensor - so just checking if the pmup hasn't run in X amount of hours is not a bad idea at all.

It's interesting that you're running an ozone machine - i'm running a UV - neptune has indicated these weird issues might be caused by interference and both UV and ozone require some pretty high voltages....seems like it could be a pattern anyway? on an unrelated side note, have you noticed if ozone has eliminated cyano for you? something i have wanted to explore anyway.

Frequent Visitor
    This is what I have ... along side with the ATK, I have two float switches connected to BoB. One for low SUMP level and another for high SUMP level!

Even if the ATK fails I still have alerts on the floats

All the best,
    Rui

Quote Originally Posted by Xero View Post
    neptune has indicated these weird issues might be caused by interference and both UV and ozone require some pretty high voltages....seems like it could be a pattern anyway?
    That sounds unlikely to be the case, at least for ozone (I've never tried UV). My ozonizer only draws 7W power, and it sure didn't cause my low level optical sensor to start leaking red-brown material and then fail in the CLOSED position, which meant the ATK would never have noticed the falling water level. That alarm I programmed was a life-saver. Neptune equipment could be more robust at both the hardware and software levels.

I don't have any cyano, green, red or brown algae. All my herbivores starved so I stopped adding them. I have had a small outbreak of dinoflagellates, which julian sprung states can occur in overly clean aquaria; he suggests not doing water changes or vacuuming up the sand; hard for me to avoid doing those two things!

New User
    I have had the same thing happen. The only remedy is to unplug the aquabus cable, and re-plug it in, then I am good for a bit. I now have 2 ATK's one set slightly lower in the sump, and when it fires off, I know to un-plug the AB cable. The one that has the issue also has 2 flow sensors in the 2 unused ports, and they have no issues when this happens. The light is sometimes out, and sometimes green, so hard to say what is going on. Neither ATK's fmm module actually controls the pmup, as I have 2 1-links for the 4 wav's, so each 1 link has a pmup.

eventually I think I'm gonna have to send in the FMM giving me the headaches, but was hoping a firmware update could resolve it.