Thread: New Apex 2016 and ORP 140. Need to calibrate?

New User

New Apex 2016 and ORP 140. Need to calibrate?

Hello all,
    Well I instaled my new Apex and since then the ORP probe has been reading 140-150 for ORP. I hardly think my tank (which is new) has an ORP that low
    I tried to calibrate with 400 pinpoint solution and it didnīt work.
    Iīve read that with time the ORP will "break-in" but Iīm having a hard time to believe that its reading is soo way off.
    Any thoughts?
    Regards

It takes days to weeks before it balances out in the 300-400 range, even with it starting in the 100s and sitting in the same water. Also, the exact number isnt important. You want to see trends in values as it dips and rises above your usual values.

New User
    Thanks for your comments! Patience then
    Problem is Iīll be using ozone and canīt start until orp reading is correct. Anyway thank you very much.

I just bought the new 2016 apex and after about a week I just now switched over to ORP from pH and my reading is at 400 for ORP Will this reading come down because I just switched it over from the pH? I want to hook up in O-Zone generator and need this reading correctly, any advice for steering me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated
    Reefing is my passion, 500 Gallon Display tank with an additional 150 gallon sump room in the basement

Frequent Contributor iamchadster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopardshark View Post
    Thanks for your comments! Patience then
    Problem is Iīll be using ozone and canīt start until orp reading is correct. Anyway thank you very much.
    All of the above is pretty accurate. When the pH and the ORP correlate as they do in my posted pic then you can be pretty sure that the probe has settled in.
    Capture.PNG
    Chad

I use two orp probes to control an ozonizer. A few things:

Agree with Chad - As long as you're not already running ozone, you can easily tell when an orp probe is properly 'seasoned' by it's normal cyclic diurnal variation. Each of my probes took 6 days to start functioning correctly; during that time, the readings slowly rose with little response to any of the things (water change, feeding, etc) that normally do affect orp.

Once it's working, if you're not happy with the numbers, you can always try recalibration with quinhydrone solution. Here's the kit: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 You have to mix up two standards yourself. And it's important to use the quinhydrone 7.0 standard first when doing the calibration (some versions of Apex firmware have/had incorrect instructions.)

Although you can't routinely calibrate with the Pinpoint 400 mV standard solution, you can put your probe in it and get a valid measurement, to see how far off your probe calibration is (Again, once your probe is seasoned). Note however that after you use the 400 mV solution, you will not immediately get the same reading as before when you put the probe back in your tank.

ORP in your sump after the skimmer and ORP in the overflow can be very different, by 100 mV or more, and they respond differently to ozone generation and in-tank events. It's interesting (useful?) to monitor both.