Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DDR optical eye not working

New User

DDR optical eye not working

DDR cylinder 1 optical eye not working. I had to send the unit in when I first purchased it because the cylinder 2 optical eye was not working. The DDR was fixed and returned to me. Now this is occurring with cylinder 1, I wiped the optical eye clean with a cloth in the event of alkalinity residue on the eye, and unplugged and re-plugged into the DOS but still not working. Is anyone else having problems with the DDR? If so, do you have remedies. This is becoming frustrating and I was planning to purchase a 2nd DOS/DDR set for running the Triton method
    Last edited by Easalty; 09-14-2017 at 08:19. Reason: proofing

I've not had a problem with the sensors on my DDR. Yet. However, the low level optical sensor on my ATK, which is the exact same item (and also available for purchase individually), failed after just a couple of months in salt water. Apparently it leaked, as there was a ring of red-brownish material just starting to appear at the junction of the cord and the sensor itself, presumably either rust or something more noxious. It failed in the CLOSED position, which meant that my ATK would have never noticed the falling water level on it's own, and the first I would have heard of it was when the return pump failed. Fortunately I have a separate alarm configured that told me the ATK hadn't activated at all for over 4 hours, an obvious sign of malfunction with the way I have it configured.

I happened to have already purchased a spare optical sensor, so I exchanged it out and all is well again. For now. Can't help but think that these sensors are a bit too delicate for typical reef aquarium applications.

Frequent Contributor iamchadster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Easalty View Post
    DDR cylinder 1 optical eye not working. I had to send the unit in when I first purchased it because the cylinder 2 optical eye was not working. The DDR was fixed and returned to me. Now this is occurring with cylinder 1, I wiped the optical eye clean with a cloth in the event of alkalinity residue on the eye, and unplugged and re-plugged into the DOS but still not working. Is anyone else having problems with the DDR? If so, do you have remedies. This is becoming frustrating and I was planning to purchase a 2nd DOS/DDR set for running the Triton method
    Both of my DDR sensors failed, I however have not had any issues with the ones I have purchased since and am using with the FMM. I would contact technical support.
    Chad

Regular Vistor
    I have same situation. Fixed once. Broken a month later.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

New User
    Quote Originally Posted by iamchadster View Post
    Both of my DDR sensors failed, I however have not had any issues with the ones I have purchased since and am using with the FMM. I would contact technical support.
    I plan to contact tech support again, but I finally have the DOS tuned in for my dosing needs so i do regret uninstalling, boxing up, installing water jugs as a temporary replacements, and paying postage to resend. I keep telling myself the failed optical sensor is not critical, but . . . it does have a purpose.

Frequent Visitor
    Same problem and living with the failed optical sensors. My system is tuned in and I top up every few days so will live with this. Pity the quality of the optical sensors is so poor though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

New User
    I planned to purchase individual optical sensors to monitor low levels in my return pump section and ATO reservoir. However, I may rig up some floats using my BOB instead.

New User
    My goal was to place the DDR inside a cabinet out of sight and use the sensors as a reminder and extra layer of redundancy. When using the new trident system, the optical sensors could come in handy as well for the same reasons stated. I am still under warranty (by a couple of months) and sent out the DDR a couple of days ago, so fingers crossed for a permanent fix.

New User
    I have had DDR optical sensor failure in my freshwater Discus tank

Frequent Visitor
    My DDR optical sensor also is not working. Seems to be an issue. The bad thing is I have so many different Neptune Apex accessories that I never contacted customer service about the DDR. I bet they would have fixed it within a year. I am at 14 months now... Anyway love that the Apex 2016 The FMM, and the Dos itself are all running awesome..I even just installed the LSM which I think is really cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Sppf121 View Post
    My DDR optical sensor also is not working. Seems to be an issue. The bad thing is I have so many different Neptune Apex accessories that I never contacted customer service about the DDR. I bet they would have fixed it within a year. I am at 14 months now... Anyway love that the Apex 2016 The FMM, and the Dos itself are all running awesome..I even just installed the LSM which I think is really cool.
    Send a ticket anyway and explain the situation. They are not obligated to fix for free after warranty expires but they often cut you a deal or do it free anyway just to be nice when it's barely out of warranty and worst case scenario it won't cost that much and you'll have a working DDR again.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

Frequent Visitor
    Thanks. I just entered a ticket. you are right...

Regular Vistor
    I’ve sent mine back twice, and one is bad again. I won’t be sending it back and I dang sure won’t buy an ATK if they’re the same sensors.

Frequent Visitor
    So I mailed it back. $22 and then they charged me $30 for the repair....... Should have just replaced the sensor myself lol. Would have saved the shipping cost.

Regular Vistor
    just oped a ticket and the tech says they will not sell me the sensors with the wiring harness, that it has to be shipped to them if they are bad.
    but i can clearly see that if they sent me the assembly it would be very simple to swap out, going to try and call them next week ....
    seems like they should offer that as my DDR and DOS are 2 years old, unless they have a 3 year or 5 year warranty.

New User
    add me to the list of something is wrong with the optical sensor... i had the alarm setup to send me a txt if the ddr is low.. it would txt me this DAILY. had to just shut off ddr monitoring.

New User
    I bought a new DDR just last week and installed it today. I plugged it into my DOS but it’s not showing up on my dash board. What should I do? I unplugged and replugged it but nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by myelos70 View Post
    I bought a new DDR just last week and installed it today. I plugged it into my DOS but it’s not showing up on my dash board. What should I do? I unplugged and replugged it but nothing.
    Perhaps plug it in, give the system a reboot, and then just wait for a bit. If it still doesn't show up, do you have a multimeter with a diode setting?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Regular Vistor
    Me too.

I have at least one dead optical sensor. It always says it's closed, even when dry. Kinda worries me, because the ones that are always below water could be dead too. I know I have to test them.

Quote Originally Posted by Pluto View Post
    I have at least one dead optical sensor. It always says it's closed, even when dry. Kinda worries me, because the ones that are always below water could be dead too. I know I have to test them.
    With the usual setup, the low level ATK optical sensor normally toggles between open and closed all day long. If this stops happening, something is wrong. One way to safeguard against a failed low level topoff sensor is to set up text alarms (via virtual outlets) to notify you if the sensor stays either open or closed for too long at once.

[SmpLoOpen060]
    Set OFF
    If SumpLo OPEN Then ON
    Defer 060:00 Then ON

[SmpLoClsd240]
    Set OFF
    If SumpLo CLOSED Then ON
    Defer 240:00 Then ON

[SmpHiClsd015]
    Set OFF
    If SumpHi CLOSED Then ON
    Defer 015:00 Then ON
    If FeedA 000 Then OFF
    If FeedB 000 Then OFF
    If FeedC 000 Then OFF
    If FeedD 000 Then OFF

Then, in the text alarm tile, add

If Output SmpLoOpen060 = ON Then ON
    If Output SmpLoClsd240 = ON Then ON
    If Output SmpHiClsd015 = ON Then ON

Of course this doesn't address the issue of a possible failed DDR optical sensor. Fortunately though this is generally a less urgent matter than a failed ATK sensor.

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by rkpetersen View Post
    With the usual setup, the low level ATK optical sensor normally toggles between open and closed all day long. If this stops happening, something is wrong. One way to safeguard against a failed low level topoff sensor is to set up text alarms (via virtual outlets) to notify you if the sensor stays either open or closed for too long at once.
    Thanks, I don't have the kit as I was using floats before, so I rolled my own; it's actually a water change setup (freshwater). The concepts are the same though, only the names have changed.

A SumpHi failure only means my refills fail, a SumpLow failure could drain the entire sump. Although I also have a SumpBottom sensor below the filter intake, which shuts off the filter and the bilge. I also put in a TankHi sensor in the event the overflow gets behind for some reason. Yes I have gotten a few TankHi emails.

Quote Originally Posted by Pluto View Post
    I also put in a TankHi sensor in the event the overflow gets behind for some reason.
    This is a good idea; I'm going to do it today, with a spare OS and FMM port. Do you just have it send an email or does it also shut off your return pump? I've never had a situation that would set off this alarm, but another safeguard against catastrophe is always a good thing.

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by rkpetersen View Post
    This is a good idea; I'm going to do it today, with a spare OS and FMM port. Do you just have it send an email or does it also shut off your return pump? I've never had a situation that would set off this alarm, but another safeguard against catastrophe is always a good thing.
    Yes it sends an email and shuts off the return pump until the sensor clears.

Regular Vistor
    Second ddr fail and neptune has no clue why not to mention service is not helpful.ask questions about the issues others have also with ddr not showing on fusion.and second repair only warratied for 60 days really.

Frequent griper
    I just this week received my 8 month old DDR back from repair for a failing sensor. Interestingly the bottom of the sensor where the wire exits is different on the replacement. They have extended the plastic of the body down a bit, maybe making a longer, better seal?. Checking some new stand alone sensors they also are of this 'newer' kind.

Stan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast