Thread: DIY Breakout Box /w RJ45 Connectors and Individual Grounds

New User

Lightbulb DIY Breakout Box /w RJ45 Connectors and Individual Grounds

There used to be a guide somewhere for this build but I could not find it when looking again recently so I thought I would recreate for the lowest price point possible and share. I hope some of you can find this to be useful.

Tools Needed:
    Wire Stripper/Cutter

**Breakout Box Parts**
    6ft MD8 Cable M/M - $1.50 -https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=522
    Cat6 Punch Down Keystone Jack - x6 -$0.99/ea -https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_...seq=1&format=2
    Dynacom 6 Port Keystone Jack SurfaceBox - $3.85 -http://www.discount-low-voltage.com/...Y-10600-SB6WHT

Total - $11.29 + shipping

**Parts used to wire switches to the Breakout Box**
    Tripp Lite Cat5e RJ45 Modular In-LineConnectors for Stranded Cat5e Cable, 50-Pack - $3.09 -
    https://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-Co.../dp/B000067SC4
    New 500 ft bulk Cat5e Ethernet Cable /Wire UTP Pull Box 500ft Cat-5e Grey ~ VIVO - $33.99 -
    https://www.amazon.com/Cat5e-Etherne.../dp/B00SNQX14K

******Note******You can just buy a shorter Ethernet PATCH/Straight Through Cable(T-568B) (A regular network cable will not work) and chop off one end if you wish, but making your own is always much cheaper and in the case of wiring switches easier in the long run....especially if you are going to be using a lot of switches. This will also allow you to make extra Ethernet cables if you need them(I know I often find the need for an extra one)and the cat5 cable can be used for other projects as well.

***Crimping Tool for RJ45 heads if you do not already have one***
    TRENDnet 8P/RJ-45 and 6P/RJ-12, RJ-11Crimp, Cut, and Strip Tool - $16.30 -
    https://www.amazon.com/TRENDnet-RJ-4...9PZDYVB19962E3

*Optional*(I find this useful for grouping wires and overall cable management)
    34Meter Long PE Polyethylene 4mm SpiralCable Wire Wrap Tube Black - $9.56 -https://www.amazon.com/34Meter-Polye...NNPJMVFJYX1YED

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, for the Guide.

To make the Breakout Box(BoB) is fairly simple. Take the 6 foot MD8 Cable and cut it in half(or if you need it to be longer go ahead, I cut in half so I can make 2 boxes with 1 cable). Now choose which half you are going to work it, and strip off about 8-10 inches of insulation from the end of it to expose the wires inside. Assuming you use the cable I recommended or the one you have matches the industry standard the wires should end up as follows.

Red = Switch 1
    Brown = Switch 2
    Green = Switch 3
    Yellow = Switch 4
    Orange = Switch 5
    Black = Switch 6
    Purple = RSV(Unused)
    Blue = Ground

Now we will open up the Keystone Box and insert the RJ45 Keystones into the holes. They just snap right into place.

Use the picture below to reference the following wiring explanation.

20170914_231914.jpg

Now you will take the Blue Wire(Ground) and run it along all 6 keystones in the 2 slots closest to the front of the keystone.

Then take the Red Wire(Switch 1) and put it in the 2 slots behind the Blue Wire on the first keystone, and repeat this process for switches 2-6 with their corresponding wires. Once they are all in place, just slide the plastic cap over them like pictured below.

20170914_232513.jpg

Put the cover back on the Keystone box like so.

box.jpg

Congratulations, you have completed building your Breakout Box!

Here is a wiring diagram for making a Straight Through Cable which is what we will be using to connect switches to the breakout box. Keep in mind you only need a RJ45 head on one end of the cable when using it for a switch. Wires 1 and 8 are what you will connect the switch to, with 8(Solid Brown) being the ground and 1(Orange/White Striped) being the switch. You can in fact only put these 2 wires into the RJ45 head in slots 1 and 8, but I always wire it completely just because. You will need a RJ45 Crimp Tool and RJ45 Heads to wire your switches to the Breakout Box.

Hope you all enjoyed this guide and that it was helpful. This is probably one of the easier ways to make a BoB as it requires only 1 tool and no soldering to make the box, 1 tool to add switches and is quite cheap to put together and add switches to.

Quote Originally Posted by Sage View Post
    I have considered drilling a small holein the top of the box and installing a small button on it as anemergency shutoff or a switch to activate a light or something usingthe Purple Wire(Switch 7) and justmaking the Blue Wire longer so it can reach the added switch. This would be easy to do and allow for an extra switch on the box.
    There is no Switch 7. There are only 6 inputs available on a I/O port. On the real Neptune breakout box, the terminal between I6 and GND is labeled RSV, short for RESERVED. Nothing should ever be connected to that terminal.... or to the extra wire in a DIY BoB.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

New User
    Quote Originally Posted by RussM View Post
    There is no Switch 7. There are only 6 inluts available on a I/O port. On the real Neptune breakout box, the terminal between I6 and GND is labeled RSV, short for RESERVED. Nothing should ever be connected to that terminal.... or to the extra wire in a DIY BoB.
    Ya after posting I thought about it some more and realized that was the case, and was waiting for the post to get approved so i could edit it. Thank you for catching it quickly as well!

Regular Vistor
    maybe a dumb question
    but are u using float switch or optical so on and pics of it connected

Nice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk