Thread: ApexFusion Communication Error

New User

ApexFusion Communication Error

I'm constantly seeing an "ApexFusion Communication Error" message in the web display of my Apex Jr. (I don't have a display unit).

I bought it used from ebay, and the prior owner had his information on the unit.

DHCP is configured correctly, via Google WiFi. I've tried all advice given to other people who've had this problem (including messing with the DNS settings). I have the very latest firmware and www versions. I've tried everything imaginable. I've removed the ApexFusion tile, disabled/re-enabled/restarted ApexFusion, draged the tile back to the web menu; I've even tried a factory reset. NOTHING WORKS.
    l
    I wouldn't care about ApexFusion, if the Apex's local email capabilities actually worked, but as you know, Apex no longer works for the vast majority of email providers (since Apex doesn't support SSL or HTTPS encryption).

Please advise.
    Last edited by dstamatis; 09-16-2017 at 08:24. Reason: less verbose

New User
    Alright, so here's the solution: ignore all the other posts that you've read about Powerline adaptors. They are incompatible with the way Neptune connects the Apex unit and the ApexFusion site. I had Google WiFi and was trying to connect the Apex Jr for the last 2 days, with no success. I assumed that if the Powerline adaptor was giving me an internet connection, and letting me access the units built-in web server, in my local network, that it meant that everything is configured correctly. Wrong. The moment I hardwired the Apex Jr to one of the Google WiFi pucks, presto, the unit gave me a ApexFusion link and I connected it to my ApexFusion account within seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by dstamatis View Post
    Alright, so here's the solution: ignore all the other posts that you've read about Powerline adaptors. They are incompatible with the way Neptune connects the Apex unit and the ApexFusion site. I had Google WiFi and was trying to connect the Apex Jr for the last 2 days, with no success.
    I disagree with your statements here. Turning your single experience into broad sweeping statements telling others that all Powerline adapters do not work with the Apex is a disservice to the community. Many people successfully use them, myself included; I have multiple Apexes communicating with APEX Fusion through a pair of Powerline adapters without any issues whatsoever.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

New User
    You're right. I should qualify my statement to the following: if you're using a powerline adapter, and you're seeing a "ApexFusion Communication Error" message, try plugging directly into your router. And, if you're using Google WiFi + Netgear's powerline adapters, I can confirm that they are NOT compatible with Apex.

There. We good now?

Quote Originally Posted by dstamatis View Post
    You're right. I should qualify my statement to the following: if you're using a powerline adapter, and you're seeing a "ApexFusion Communication Error" message, try plugging directly into your router. And, if you're using Google WiFi + Netgear's powerline adapters, I can confirm that they are NOT compatible with Apex.

There. We good now?
    I used to use one of those Netgear power line adapters to connect a network printer located in the opposite corner of the house from my router. It worked fine except during the summer. It would drop the network connection every time the central air would turn on. Do you by chance have any such heavy load items that could be interfering with your power line adapter?

New User
    Nothing like that was running that would cause interference. To be clear: the Apex Jr was connecting fine via the powerline adapter (e.g., i could connect to it from my laptop's browser). The only problem was the ApexFusion tile was showing that error message (rather than displaying an ApexFusion token).

I have other powerline adapters, in the house, and they all work flawlessly: fast speeds, no issues with dropped connections. I even tried connecting the Apex to one of those other powerline adapters in the house: the ApexFusion tile continued to show that error message.

It wasn't until I plugged the Apex Jr directly into Google WiFi that the ApexFusion tile began showing the ApexFusion token correctly.

Anyway, no need for me to troubleshoot this anymore; already spend countless hours on this. I will simply connect the Apex directly to one of the Google WiFi units in my mesh network.