Thread: I lost my APEX after an attempt to upgrade to AOS Version 5.03_9C17 this morning.

Frequent Visitor

I lost my APEX after an attempt to upgrade to AOS Version 5.03_9C17 this morning.

I lost my APEX after an attempt to upgrade to AOS Version 5.03_9C17 this morning.
    I have to APEX 2016s. One is via wifi and another is ethernet. The wifi one finished successfully. The direct ethernet connection one failed and it gave me an "Apex Disconnected" message.

2017-09-15 09_55_57-APEX Fusion.jpg

I did the pinhole reset once but it still gave me the same error.
    I scanned WIFI on my cell but it doesn't see the apex wifi.

What do I do now? Don't tell me I have to reset the whole thing to default. I don't have a config backup (I could have saved my backup?) and it will take forever to recreate all programming. Help!

Frequent Visitor
    Gosh, it just came back alive by itself without me doing anything. That gave me an heart attack. Now, how do I backup my config?

That's such an awful feeling, isn't it? An Apex is literally life-support equipment, it should be as robust as possible.

To back up your config:

Go to your local Apex dashboard (apex.local or whatever you renamed it). Not available in Fusion! Then in your local dashboard, click Expand, then Misc, then LoadSave at the top. It'll ask you for your signin id and password, and then let you download a bin file of your programming. I would personally also save screenshots of your dashboard, Outputs, Profiles, and Modules pages (and Seasons if you use them). Another good idea is to go to the far upper left pulldown menu on the Apex dashboard. Drop down to Configuration-Summary. The web page that appears has all your code on it; just right click and select Save Page As... to keep a copy of this.

Back to your original problem: You were amazingly lucky that it came back by itself, somehow. If it hadn't, this might have helped:

Stick the end of a paper clip into the Apex reset hole and hold it down for 5-7 seconds (no longer!). This will reset the wifi mode, but will leave all your programming untouched. Then find and connect to the Apex wifi network/hotspot with your cell phone (name of the network should be obvious). Then use your phone's browser to navigate to apex.local or whatever you renamed your apex. If you don't remember what you renamed it, the ip address to enter is 172.16.0.1 (I suggest writing that down, you won't find it in the standard Apex documentation). Then you should be able to follow the prompts and reconnect to your home network.

You're the second person I've seen who had a disconnect with this new firmware update. I think I'll wait until I'm in a good mood, well rested, and with a couple of open hours ahead of me, before applying it.

New User
    I got the notification to update. Tried twice. Power reset each time first then it gave me the progress bar while it was updating. After each attempt still stayed at 5.02_5A17 and now it says the OS is current and there is no update needed. OS still shows 5.02_5A17.

New User
    Glad to hear that yours came back up. I did the recommended update this morning(which was completed), I was able to access during the day, but I lost power to the brain about 8pm tonight. Looking for some help or suggestions. Thanks!!!

New User
    After doing the AOS update this morning (5.03_9C17) it appears my APEX is bricked. The head unit won't boot up.

Why is this update even available atm if it's causing issues? Please remove the notifications and the download.

5.02_5A17 is my OS and no update notifications.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The new one was withdrawn for now (although those who installed 5.03 successfully before it was withdrawn have been told not to downgrade back to 5.02.)

New User
    Quote Originally Posted by meldrath View Post
    After doing the AOS update this morning (5.03_9C17) it appears my APEX is bricked. The head unit won't boot up.

Why is this update even available atm if it's causing issues? Please remove the notifications and the download.
    I was sent a new brain as replacement and was able to get back online last night. I think it's the only fix. $300 deposit required.

Regular Vistor
    I did the same thing...

Regular Vistor
    Mine occasionally will not reboot after a power loss. if so I just unplug it and it reboots. not ideal if out of the country though!