Thread: Issue programming refugium lights?

New User

Issue programming refugium lights?

First off, I want to say that it has been about two years since I initially programmed my Apex Classic, so I did have to brush up on the basics, but I am having a really difficult time programming my Apex to run my new refugium light. I am trying to get the Apex to turn on the light at 10:00pm at night, then turn off the light at 6:00am the following morning. Here is what I used as my initial programming:

Fallback OFF
    Set OFF
    If Time 22:00 to 6:00 then ON
    If temp > 80.0 then OFF
    Min Time 30:00 Then OFF

Switched the Fusion slider to "Auto". This didn't work: the START time came and went, but nothing turned on, so I figured that maybe the start time continuing on to another day was the problem, and switched the Time to the following:

If Time 22:00 to 23:59 Then ON
    If Time 00:00 to 06:00 Then ON

That still didn't work.
    I can manually move the Fusion slider to "ON" and manually kick the light on no problem, so there is no obvious issue with the powerbar, or the light. Also, the status on the slider remains "OFF" when the slider is set to "Auto" and the light should be on, per the programming.

I did go into the actual Apex Display Module, and confirmed that the time was set to match the actual time, and the time shown on the Fusion app.

If I change my programming to show the Set to "ON", the device turns on, and of course remains on, even in "Auto" mode.

I have tried to program another outlet that is not being used, using the same language, and am getting the same result with this outlet as well (nothing is plugged in, just watching the status of the outlet in Fusion, to see if it turns ON when it is programmed to). I also removed the temp language, and Min Time language, so its just the SET, FALLBACK, and TIME schedule, but still the same results.

Thanks in advance for the help. I have programmed this Apex to do much more complicated things in the past with no problem, so I'm kind of embarrassed that I am having such a hard time with something so simple.

Frequent Visitor
    Watching thread. Need to do the same thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FWIW, here's the code I use for my sump light, and it works properly. I don't have the 'Min Time' command that you have there. The manual seems to say that should work here, but have you tried leaving it out? Also I use the Defer to keep the light on for a few minutes after I cancel the various feed/maintenance modes, although that shouldn't matter here I don't think.

Fallback OFF
    Set OFF
    If Time 20:00 to 12:00 Then ON
    If FeedA 000 Then ON
    If FeedB 000 Then ON
    If FeedC 000 Then ON
    If FeedD 000 Then ON
    If Temp > 79.5 Then OFF
    Defer 003:00 Then OFF

Another thing: Some fuge lights, like the Kessel H80 for example, can have both their intensity and color controlled by the Apex, using both channels of one variable output jack. However, if you plug the appropriate cord in and then don't remember to program the variable outputs, the light won't work properly, similar to what you describe.

New User
    Thanks for that info - I appreciate your time. I have actually tried eliminating all code except for the "Fallback", "Set", and the "Time" commands but am not getting anything. It's interesting that you bring up the Kessil: I am using the bigger Kessil H380 light, but these is no way to adjust the intensity, it is just OFF, GROW, BLOOM, (the knob on the Kessil is switched to GROW) so I wonder if there is still an issue with the variable output part?
    The other strange thing is that I have programed a second outlet using the same code (but with nothing actually plugged in), and switched the slider to "AUTO", and even that won't turn "ON" when it should, based on the programming. Everything else works perfectly (two DOS modules, pH, ORP, Salinity, three WAV pumps, fan, etc). I have also tried using both the Advanced programming, and more basic "Light" settings.
    I don't think I have the current firmware, but I can't see that that would effect this basic setup?

New User
    Also, saw this on the BRS site, regarding the Kessil H380:

"Question by: Does this work with the H380 refugium light?

While this will plug into the ports on the H380, currently the Apex is only be able to control the ON/OFF functionality of this light through the outlets. This light does not work with the 0-10V variable speed ports."

So, I believe this means that you don't need the Kessil to Apex cable, because the Apex only works as an ON/OFF??? Like I said in my other post, I can manually turn the outlet ON using the slider in Fusion, and the light does turn on.

Right, that's a great fuge light, very powerful, but it doesn't have 0-10V input ports, so the variable out programming consideration is a non-issue.

Otherwise, I'm at a loss as to why your programming isn't working. It's simple, seems like it should be doing the job.

Make sure that the output for the fuge light has a unique name, different from all other outputs and modules?

Do a reboot of the controller?

Do a fresh backup of everything and then update the firmware for the controller and all your modules?

Those are probably the next things I'd try.