Thread: Apex Jr Connecting Concerns

New User

Apex Jr Connecting Concerns

Hey, everyone!

I'm planning a IM Nuvo Fusion 10 for my dorm room at UCDavis and wanted to add an Apex Jr. However, I'm confused on how I'm going to connect it to the school's internet (I'm terrible with electronics). Here is what I have found through the school's housing website. The problem is UCDavis uses a service called Eduroam (https://itcatalog.ucdavis.edu/service/eduroam) to provide wifi across the entire campus and it involves many security blocks before you can connect your device to it (i.e. log in with student ID, enter passwords, ect ect). In order to get a wired connection you have to register your computer's MAC address (something I am unfamiliar with) with UCDavis IET (http://housing.ucdavis.edu/computers...gistration.asp). Basically, there seems to be a lot of hoops that I need to jump through to set this up compared to normal applications.
    Does anyone know if I will be able to use the Apex Jr with the school's internet? If so, how? What parts would I need? And has anyone been in a similar situation?
    Thanks and I hope we'll be able to figure this out!

Take care,
    John

When I was in school (back in the 70s) each dorm had a senior who was responsible for the dorm (forgot the title) and he would help students with dorm issues. Do dorms still have this? If so, he will know how to do what you need. Seek him out (offer him a cold one) and I'm sure he'll be able to walk you through the process.

New User
    Quote Originally Posted by bigjim View Post
    When I was in school (back in the 70s) each dorm had a senior who was responsible for the dorm (forgot the title) and he would help students with dorm issues. Do dorms still have this? If so, he will know how to do what you need. Seek him out (offer him a cold one) and I'm sure he'll be able to walk you through the process.
    Yeah we do have those, RAs! I'm going to have to ask. Do most of you guys hardwire it to an ethernet port or connect it to a wifi extender to do it wirelessly? Benefit of each?

Quote Originally Posted by DavisReefer View Post
    Yeah we do have those, RAs! I'm going to have to ask. Do most of you guys hardwire it to an ethernet port or connect it to a wifi extender to do it wirelessly? Benefit of each?
    I use a WIFI bridge to attach my classic to my home network. I went this route because I didn't want an unsightly cat 5 cable draped around my family room and up the stairs to my home office where my router is located. I've been running that way for several years without problems.