Thread: What is going on with my temperature probe?!

What is going on with my temperature probe?!

This is a brand new probe, used only for about three weeks. The heater is set to turn on when the water reads 78.5 F and off at 79. This was all going great until my probe has started saying that the water is 74 degrees in the mornings these past couple days!! What the heck? How could it possibly get there if the heater is set to run long before this drop in temperature??

What could be causing this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Frequent Contributor iamchadster's Avatar
    What does the output log say? Does it show the heater's outlet is being turned on?
    Chad

It doesn't display anything on the output log.

I do know the heater is turned on though because it says "on" on the little heater tile on fusion. I also know it gets turned off because at times it will also read off.

The probe is STILL saying 74f. I had taken it offline for a bit, but now that I've turned it back on it's displaying the same incorrect measurement.

Several thoughts -

When your probe says 74, what is the actual water temp taken with a different, reliable thermometer? Because if it's what it should be, 78-79, then it could be the probe itself gone bad. If it's actually 74, the probe itself is fine and there's likely something wrong with the programming, energy bar, or the heater.

Is your temp probe ever (or always) completely submerged? (Potential for leak into probe) Or is it ever completely out of the water, say when the sump water level falls? (Will then read closer to room temperature)

Have you tried unplugging and replugging the probe into its port on the Apex controller? And then I'd probably reboot my controller just once on the off chance that might fix it.

Any sources of electrical interference that would only occur in the morning? Wouldn't even necessarily have to be something plugged into the Apex or even the same wall outlet.

I'm not home to try the troubleshooting you suggested (won't be until tomorrow afternoon), but I do have an auto top off system so the tank is pretty constant in water level. When I do water changes the probe is sometimes exposed completely to air and this weekend I had a brain fart and forgot to plug my top off system back in so it was exposed for maybe 24 hours.

The probe is resting in the apex probe holder, so it's only about halfway submerged and was getting perfect readings during the previous three week or so period I had it running previously.

Ugh, dealing with something like that while you're away from home and can't investigate it immediately - No fun.

You know, you could just reboot your Apex remotely, and see if that fixes it. It's somewhat risky. I might do it if I were going to be away for several more days, but since you'll be home tomorrow, you could just wait until you get home. Tough call.

Temp probes seldom go bad... usually, if they fail it is due to cable damage or the plug and/or temp jack got splashed with water. A failed temp probe typically reads either extremely low (20-22F) or extremely high (120-122F), not something just a few degrees off. The very first thing to check is if the probe is submerged or not. A 74F reading is usually a good indication that the probe is out of the water and is reading ambient air temperature.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Is it possible that there were air bubbles stuck to it and that caused a problem?

I've been watching it closely through fusion today and the readings have been steadily rising to what I have my preferred temperature setting at, so I think the probe is doing its job... just maybe had something blocking it earlier.

Thank you for the help! It really is a bummer I can't go fiddle with things myself and I'm not sure I trust my family to go rummaging through the stand and sump without causing my more damage. Haha

No, air bubbles aren't an issue with the temp probe. Once you investigate in person, it may be apparent what's going on. Please let us know what you discover.

After this weekend, I think I have identified the problem. I put a thermometer in the tank which verified that the probe is in fact functioning PERFECTLY. After doing a little snooping, I think the heater might be lighting up to indicate that it's functioning, but it's NOT ACTUALLY HEATING properly this is also a brand new heater, so I'm pretty unimpressed. I think the Apex is doing its job and am leaning heavily towards the heater being the culprit now because the tank temperature has continued to fall. It's at 70 degrees Fahrenheit right now. How irritating. Going to pick up a new heater (or two) so I don't have this problem (hopefully) ever again.

To add: the heater does heat in small spurts. Is it possible that the unit could be in the wrong? If the new heaters still warrant issues , what would be the next step?? I really hope it's not the unit.

Sounds like the heater is defective. A new one may go bad quickly if there is some manufacturing defect. If the heater isn't heating continuously until it's set temperature, there's something wrong with it. Replace it and see if the problem disappears; sounds like your Apex is working as it should. I keep a spare full size heater on hand because you never know when something like this is going to happen. Another idea is, instead of one large heater, get two smaller ones and run them together. If one fails outright, the other will probably be able to keep the temp where it should be although it will work harder (and you may notice this happening if you regularly monitor your temp input graph; you'll see a change in the pattern of temp rise and fall.)

What about your livestock, though? 74 degrees intermittently over a week or so; sounds very stressful.

Its back to 74. Very odd. I had been running the one large heater, but am thinking I'll switch to two just in case of a malfunction in the future.

All my fish are actually in quarantine because of an ick outbreak that occurred a couple weeks ago. So they've missed this debacle. The corals and inverts don't really seem at all phased by the incident(: Was it not for the fact that I check fusion a couple times a day, I probably wouldn't have noticed for a little while.

New heaters were put online earlier today and are functioning as they should!! Hopefully this keeps up!