Thread: New update

New update

I just did the new up date 10 minutes ago and now it says my salinity dropped 8ppm. It says it was 36 before because I wasn't aware of floating the package of calibration fluid first. I have 3 refractometers that are calibrated before each use that all say it is 34ppm. Any suggestions/advice?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Frequent Visitor

New update

You're lucky my whole head unit is fried and I am going on vacation tomorrow. Gotta drive down to them to get another.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

First - New update? Could you be more specific? The most recent AOS update, 5.03, was withdrawn a couple of days ago due to problems. It shouldn't be available right now. Is that the one you mean, or something else?

Second - You may want to recalibrate your conductivity probe. If you don't have anymore standard solution, you'll have to buy some, this is the right stuff: https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/pinpo...ion-fluid.html

Third - You'll probably find that, after a while (weeks, months), this probe starts to vary its reading during the day. Sometimes, by a surprising amount. The salinity in your tank won't actually be changing minute to minute the way the probe will suggest that it is. Tiny bubbles of air/gas may build up in the probe which can change the reading significantly. You may find that just swishing the probe around will sometimes change the reading immediately. Also, don't forget that the probe isn't measuring actual salinity, it's measuring conductivity and then translating that to salinity in software, which introduces another potential source of error. Imo, of the 4 probes that come with the Apex, this one is the least consistent.

Frequent Visitor
    New 5.03_9D17 was just release

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by rkpetersen View Post
    First - New update? Could you be more specific? The most recent AOS update, 5.03, was withdrawn a couple of days ago due to problems. It shouldn't be available right now. Is that the one you mean, or something else?

Second - You may want to recalibrate your conductivity probe. If you don't have anymore standard solution, you'll have to buy some, this is the right stuff: https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/pinpo...ion-fluid.html

Third - You'll probably find that, after a while (weeks, months), this probe starts to vary its reading during the day. Sometimes, by a surprising amount. The salinity in your tank won't actually be changing minute to minute the way the probe will suggest that it is. Tiny bubbles of air/gas may build up in the probe which can change the reading significantly. You may find that just swishing the probe around will sometimes change the reading immediately. Also, don't forget that the probe isn't measuring actual salinity, it's measuring conductivity and then translating that to salinity in software, which introduces another potential source of error. Imo, of the 4 probes that come with the Apex, this one is the least consistent.
    It's update 5.03_9D17 that was released today. I've only had the 2016 Apex 3-4 days. I've got some calibration solution on the way but but that shouldn't be the problem. I realize that it will vary a little during the day but it had to do with the update. It's been reading steady. I did the update and it was like this right after.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Hcoop View Post
    It's been reading steady. I did the update and it was like this right after.
    I totally understand. I'm just saying that, even though the update obviously messed something up, a recalibration of the probe might fix it easily enough.