Thread: New apex system display blank

New User

New apex system display blank

After losing power due to a hurricane. When power was restored three days later I noticed my display was blank. It has power but no numbers or readings. I unplugged it for 24 hours to see if it would reboot but it still shows blank. I have checked to make sure my firmware is current and it is. Does anybody have any suggestions? Please help

I can't say for sure that this is the right thing to do, but it's what I'd try. First, unplug the display. Second, go to Expand -> Modules -> Display -> Action - Delete Module -> Update Apex. Third, reboot the Apex controller. Fourth, plug the Display back in and see if it re-initializes. If it still didn't work, I'd maybe contact tech support. Or just toss it in a fit of pique, and buy a new one.

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by rkpetersen View Post
    I can't say for sure that this is the right thing to do, but it's what I'd try. First, unplug the display. Second, go to Expand -> Modules -> Display -> Action - Delete Module -> Update Apex. Third, reboot the Apex controller. Fourth, plug the Display back in and see if it re-initializes. If it still didn't work, I'd maybe contact tech support. Or just toss it in a fit of pique, and buy a new one.
    Neptune avises to never delete the display module.
    OP,
    See if this helps:
    https://forum.neptunesystems.com/sho...creen-is-blank

I can't say for sure that this is the right thing to do, but it's what I'd try. First, unplug the display. Second, go to Expand -> Modules -> Display -> Action - Delete Module -> Update Apex. Third, reboot the Apex controller. Fourth, plug the Display back in and see if it re-initializes.
    As stated in the sticky Simon P gave the link to here, the recommendation is to not delete a display. But if you were to do so, your sequence is incorrect... it would be delete the display, then unplug it immediately thereafter, then plug it back in.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by RussM View Post
    But if you were to do so, your sequence is incorrect... it would be delete the display, then unplug it immediately thereafter, then plug it back in.
    That... is fairly unintuitive. Since the Apex uses an automatic driver installation when it detects a new device, I would have thought that doing it the way you describe would result in the driver being re-installed before you could even unplug the display from the aquabus. Hmm. Anyway, I'd be willing to bet that the sequence I described would also work just fine.

Simon - So I looked at that link. Couple things -

1. 4 year old necropost, applicable to a different Apex model and older software. Is it still relevant?

2. All it really says is to try updating the firmware. I thought OP had already tried that, but reading more carefully, he just said it read as ok. So yes, he probably should try re-updating the firmware first, even if it reads ok.

3. Why never delete the display module? They don't say, other than to give an ominous warning that suggests it's very bad. I realize that address 1 is reserved for the display for some reason, but most people with the Apex 2016 don't even run a display in the first place. This is quite different from the older models where a display was required. If all this is still applicable to the 2016 Apex, it suggests that the display is optional, but if you do decide to add it, don't plan on ever removing it again. How does that make any kind of sense?

Frequent Visitor
    That... is fairly unintuitive. Since the Apex uses an automatic driver installation when it detects a new device, I would have thought that doing it the way you describe would result in the driver being re-installed before you could even unplug the display from the aquabus. Hmm. Anyway, I'd be willing to bet that the sequence I described would also work just fine.

Simon - So I looked at that link. Couple things -

1. 4 year old necropost, applicable to a different Apex model and older software. Is it still relevant?

2. All it really says is to try updating the firmware. I thought OP had already tried that, but reading more carefully, he just said it read as ok. So yes, he probably should try re-updating the firmware first, even if it reads ok.

3. Why never delete the display module? They don't say, other than to give an ominous warning that suggests it's very bad. I realize that address 1 is reserved for the display for some reason, but most people with the Apex 2016 don't even run a display in the first place. This is quite different from the older models where a display was required. If all this is still applicable to the 2016 Apex, it suggests that the display is optional, but if you do decide to add it, don't plan on ever removing it again. How does that make any kind of sense?
    I don't want to hijack this thread but:

1. Yep, agree that it's old, but it still gets thrown around whenever blank screen issues get posted about. And it certainly helped me when I had this problem. so yeah, I think it's still relevant, at least to Classic owners.

2. We're on the same page here.

3. I suspect it has to do with address 1 being reserved for the display but I'm not sure, maybe Russ will chime in here. And I can't comment on the 2016, I'm still on Classic(s).