Thread: UPS setup

Frequent Visitor

UPS setup

I want to add a UPS on my apex 2016. What the best approach?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have my Reefer 450 on a CyberPower 2200 VA UPS. That's enough juice to run everything normally including lights and heaters for an hour or a bit more. My two energy bars are both plugged into the UPS. Per suggestion in a Neptune document I read, I enabled Power Monitoring by the Apex controller, so the controller will know when the incoming line power is off, even though the system is still getting juice from the UPS. To do this, use this power supply: https://www.neptunesystems.com/produ...ower-supply-2/ Plug it into the Apex and into a normal non-UPS-protected electrical outlet. Then go to Dashboard -> Expand -> Misc -> Power Monitor -> Enabled -> Update Apex.

Now, with power monitoring enabled, you can program to selectively shut down or reduce the energy use of various parts of your system when a power failure is detected. I leave everything on for the first 5 minutes of a power failure. If it persists, I have Apex start shutting stuff down. To do that, I created a virtual outlet called 'PowerOut5Min', programmed like this:

Set OFF
    If Power Apex Off 000 Then ON
    Defer 005:00 Then ON

Now, with this outlet available, I can add commands to devices I want to alter. For example, shutting off the lights will save a huge amount of energy, so in the light output, I add:

If Output PowerOut5Min = ON Then OFF

And that kills the lights 5 minutes into a power failure. Similar lines can be added to other outputs. Instead of 'Then OFF', you can use profiles to reduce lighting and pump speeds to lower levels instead, if you prefer.

I also have a home generator, because we get prolonged power outages with ridiculous frequency where I live, and I only expect it to get worse because our population here is growing fast.
    Last edited by rkpetersen; 09-21-2017 at 17:33. Reason: correct power supplY!

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by rkpetersen View Post
    I have my Reefer 450 on a CyberPower 2200 VA UPS. That's enough juice to run everything normally including lights and heaters for an hour or a bit more. My two energy bars are both plugged into the UPS. Per suggestion in a Neptune document I read, I enabled Power Monitoring by the Apex controller, so the controller will know when the incoming line power is off, even though the system is still getting juice from the UPS. To do this, use this power supply: https://www.neptunesystems.com/produ...-power-supply/ Plug it into the Apex and into a normal non-UPS-protected electrical outlet. Then go to Dashboard -> Expand -> Misc -> Power Monitor -> Enabled -> Update Apex.

Now, with power monitoring enabled, you can program to selectively shut down or reduce the energy use of various parts of your system when a power failure is detected. I leave everything on for the first 5 minutes of a power failure. If it persists, I have Apex start shutting stuff down. To do that, I created a virtual outlet called 'PowerOut5Min', programmed like this:

Set OFF
    If Power Apex Off 000 Then ON
    Defer 005:00 Then ON

Now, with this outlet available, I can add commands to devices I want to alter. For example, shutting off the lights will save a huge amount of energy, so in the light output, I add:

If Output PowerOut5Min = ON Then OFF

And that kills the lights 5 minutes into a power failure. Similar lines can be added to other outputs. Instead of 'Then OFF', you can use profiles to reduce lighting and pump speeds to lower levels instead, if you prefer.

I also have a home generator, because we get prolonged power outages with ridiculous frequency where I live, and I only expect it to get worse because our population here is growing fast.
    Thanks! Not sure I understand about the power supply & how that works. Where does it plug into the apex? I have the 2016 version.

UPS setup

The power supply plugs into the auxiliary power jack

Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

If you look at your Apex controller, there's an unused jack on the face that fits the power supply in that link. When that power supply is plugged into a regular wall outlet, and the Power Monitor function is turned on, now the Apex isn't using that port to supply itself power, it's using it as a sensor to detect when the wall current fails. If I'm an Apex and I see no power coming in on that port, but I'm still working with power monitor on, I know that the incoming power's out and I'm currently on a UPS.

Edit: Yeah, that one!

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by rkpetersen View Post
    If you look at your Apex controller, there's an unused jack on the face that fits the power supply in that link. When that power supply is plugged into a regular wall outlet, and the Power Monitor function is turned on, now the Apex isn't using that port to supply itself power, it's using it as a sensor to detect when the wall current fails. If I'm an Apex and I see no power coming in on that port, but I'm still working with power monitor on, I know that the incoming power's out and I'm currently on a UPS.
    Thank you so much! And also you Russ for the image

You're welcome.

Even though it's pretty outdated, reading through the Apex Reference Manual https://www.neptunesystems.com/downl...nce_Manual.pdf still provides a raft of useful information applicable to the 2016 Apex, including a section about power failures and power monitoring.

Actually, I just noticed that the power supply I linked to above IS THE WRONG ONE ! Neptune has several different power supplies scattered through their direct sale pages. You need the 12V one.

<sigh> I should have been more careful with that. Hopefully you haven't already bought the other one!

Anyway, I've corrected the post with the right link, and here is the right one again: https://www.neptunesystems.com/produ...ower-supply-2/